The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by Jamwaq
Ok - stressy Mum post.

Just been trying to source a STEP tutor for my daughter to give some support following her offer for maths and apparently we've let it late and lots of people prepare for this years in advance! Is this the case for everyone , any other maths offer holders not yet started STEP or any current mathmo's who waited til last minute too?

Need to settle my nerves ......
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you checked out Cambridge's own resources?
https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/step-preparation-support-widening-participation

And not forgetting TSRs very own STEP Prep Thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4275906
Original post by k.russell
Did you get an offer in the end? Was wondering about you :smile:

Why?
Original post by Bunratty
Why?

lol you used to post and I spoke to you a bit and I hadn't seen a post of urs since the 12th - nothing malicious!
Anyone else doing natsci at Homerton?
lol you used to post and I spoke to you a bit and I hadn't seen a post of urs since the 12th - nothing malicious!

Should I suspect malice?🤔
CambTweet are doing a Q&A this Sunday at 9pm on Twitter - this is very much for offer holders as for anyone else, and those of you who were pooled might find it particularly useful if one of our tweeters is at your college! :smile:
Original post by Jamwaq
Ok - stressy Mum post.

Just been trying to source a STEP tutor for my daughter to give some support following her offer for maths and apparently we've let it late and lots of people prepare for this years in advance! Is this the case for everyone , any other maths offer holders not yet started STEP or any current mathmo's who waited til last minute too?

Thank you

Current maths student who's gone through two years of STEP here.

The vast majority of offer-holders will start preparation in mid-Jan (when they get their offers). I'm of the mind that having a tutor for STEP is rather useless, it's something that you can only really do by practicing and improving maths by doing maths, a highly individualized procedure.

Whilst getting feedback on attempts at questions is really invaluable, good substitutions for that is

(i) looking at examiner solutions and reports or looking at the TSR solutions (we have an extensive bank of solutions available)

(ii) by posting up their attempts on the STEP thread (linked by jneill) and having one of us (current camb students) or more experienced mathmos (DFranklin who used to be a cambridge maths supervisor or Shamika who has detailed knowledge of STEP) give that feedback.

(iii) Another option yet again is to use https://maths.org/step/ which is an online initiative by Cambridge itself, moderated by staff members and current students (myself included) to provide feedback and guidance to students via the discussion forum.

All in all, finding a tutor who actually knows what STEP is like is expensive, rare, and frankly, not all that useful. Your daughter will be well on track to meeting her offer if she begins preparation slowly (attempting a question a day or so) from now. This is not "waiting till last minute" at all, there's absolutely no need to be worrying at this stage.
Original post by jneill
@SteamboatMickey get yourself over here!

:smile:

Can't believe I can actually post on here without being a fraud
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 568
Original post by SteamboatMickey

Spoiler

Have you been celebrating for 24 hours!? I wouldn't be at all surprised :smile:
Original post by jneill
Have you been celebrating for 24 hours!? I wouldn't be at all surprised :smile:

I've been in a state of shock. I went to college today and everyone was just like "congrats" and "I can't believe it". All of my teachers are so pleased for me, and my best friend (who I've known since Year 4) cried (and screamed in happiness over the phone). I don't think anyone can quite believe it.

Celebratory present? A packet of mini eggs from my mum :lol:
Forgot to join the thread!! Still in shock of having an offer tbh 😂
I've been in a state of shock. I went to college today and everyone was just like "congrats" and "I can't believe it". All of my teachers are so pleased for me, and my best friend (who I've known since Year 4) cried (and screamed in happiness over the phone). I don't think anyone can quite believe it.

Celebratory present? A packet of mini eggs from my mum :lol:

OMGGGG YOURE IN!!!!! Congrats bro you deserve this so much!!!
Original post by czhang1998
omgggg youre in!!!!! Congrats bro you deserve this so much!!!

thank you!!!!!!

(that is supposed to be in capitals but TSR won't show it as caps?)
thank you!!!!!!

(that is supposed to be in capitals but TSR won't show it as caps?)

Haha you can't have all of them in capitals but SOME bits can be😂
Original post by czhang1998
Haha you can't have all of them in capitals but SOME bits can be😂

Ah annoying :tongue:

Finally 😊

Yesssss! Well done :smile:
Original post by Jamwaq
Ok - stressy Mum post.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I must echo what Zacken said - I've been preparing for about a year but I'm certainly in the minority. I also agree that a STEP tutor is a waste of time and money, since STEP relies very heavily on one's confidence to approach problems from a personal perspective rather than from somebody else's.

Once she's used to the "style" of question (rather than afraid of it, as many seem to be) she'll be just fine :smile:

no but you asking why makes it seem like ur suspicious of me! w/e tho lol
Original post by Jamwaq
Ok - stressy Mum post.

Starting preparation in January is certainly fine. I think most people who've done STEP would agree that doing past paper questions is the most useful thing you can do to prepare, but you might also find some of the courses here useful (the ones that mention STEP explicitly). I don't know how helpful the one I went on was, but it was a change from solo working.

Latest

Trending

Trending