The Student Room Group

gonna ACE these gcses (somehow)

I'm pretty much starting from the bottom right now - my education has been all over the place over the last few years but it's finally going to be stable again soon. So, I thought this'd be really useful to try and motivate myself and maybe when I'm done it'll inspire somebody else who's fallen off the wagon a bit??

A brief overview: in primary school I was pretty far ahead of everyone else, got 100% in one of my SATs, this momentum carried on into year 7/8 and again I was quite far ahead, working at a GCSE B level in english in year 8, and a C for maths. Then in year 8 some major stuff happened, stopped going to school, screwed everything up. Moved to the other side of the country for year 9, started school again, struggled badly and ended up with like 40% attendence. Gave up on academic stuff, started college in September doing media, english and maths - hated it. Fast forward to December and my foster placement moved, ended up in a different county and was told I had to start at the local school. Got a meeting on Monday, so I should be starting on Friday!

That's pretty much where I am now - I have no idea what level I'm at and I know I'll really struggle but I'm super excited to get my education on track again. I need a B in English, maths and science to get into college, so that's the goal I'm setting for myself. I haven't done most of my other subjects (history, health and social care, geography) in years so I have no idea what's realistic yet for those.

Thankfully I don't mind revising because I'll be doing a lot of it to catch up with everyone else. I'll keep you all updated :tongue:

Day 1!
Due to some reasons (#justfosterkidthings?) I still don't know when I'll be back at school but until then I'm gonna start going over some maths & science stuff to refresh my mind and keep me occupied.
I got a decent 45 minutes of science revision in and went over infectious diseases - really simple stuff but I'd forgotten most of it so it's sorta new to me :confused:
Feeling very positive about it though and I'm fairly confident I'll pick everything up again quite quickly.

What I've been listening to: Kaiser Chiefs - Employment

revision1.jpg
Original post by midnightmonkey

Day 1!
Due to some reasons (#justfosterkidthings?) I still don't know when I'll be back at school but until then I'm gonna start going over some maths & science stuff to refresh my mind and keep me occupied.
I got a decent 45 minutes of science revision in and went over infectious diseases - really simple stuff but I'd forgotten most of it so it's sorta new to me :confused:
Feeling very positive about it though and I'm fairly confident I'll pick everything up again quite quickly.

What I've been listening to: Kaiser Chiefs - Employment

revision1.jpg

Wow you've been through quite a bit!
It's great you wanna get back into education mode and smash out these gcses to get those grades! :biggrin:

A few tips:
1) try making a timetable for your revision
2) download the specification, for each subject, from the internet to guide your revision (especially for the sciences!)
3) Deffo do past papers

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon

A few tips:
1) try making a timetable for your revision
2) download the specification, for each subject, from the internet to guide your revision (especially for the sciences!)
3) Deffo do past papers

Good luck! :smile:

Thankyou! Luckily I've got a mate already at the school and a couple in sixth form who've helped me work out where to start, and I've just found a science past paper that I'll have a go at when I've gone over the right modules. It all looks vaguely familiar so I'm not as intimidated as I was at first haha!
Original post by midnightmonkey
Thankyou! Luckily I've got a mate already at the school and a couple in sixth form who've helped me work out where to start, and I've just found a science past paper that I'll have a go at when I've gone over the right modules. It all looks vaguely familiar so I'm not as intimidated as I was at first haha!

That's great!
I wish you all the best! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending