The Student Room Group

Have you asked for your teacher's facebook/insta/snap?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Popsiclez
Sorry sir, wait also do teachers like being called by Sir? And what do you guys talk about in that staffroom?

Its ok, I had girls giggling and making comments at the start of my teaching career but that stopped pretty quick because I am quite confident and direct.

With Sir, we have this thing in our school where the teachers call each other Sir and Miss in front of students.

Some students call me Sir, definitely the ones from the respectful backgrounds with middle to upper class upbringings. Some students address me with 'yo man' 'my g' etc and some of them call me by my first name as if they were my friend.

The staff room is a bit of a problem for me, I don't really go in there. There's no one really my age and the teachers there kind of treat me like a student as well. They talk about things like taking their kids to the doctors, current events etc which don't really interest me.

If I am ever in the staff room I'm normally just on my phone but most of the time I spend my time in the maths department or walking through the playground to get fresh air if its a nice day. Some breaks and lunches I spend marking or lesson planning.

I don't know if I should be saying this but *some* teachers swear hard and they do talk about the students. If one student or class was terrible, they would come in and say oh so and so what a terrible piece of character he/she is, pathetic.

With me I don't backchat on the students, I could have gone into higher paying fields but chose teaching to make a difference. So I'm not going to sit there and say how terrible students are, rather I would want to have a positive impact in the classroom.
At A Level or uni, I wouldn't see a big issue.

At GCSE probably not. :redface:
Original post by The_Hunted
Its ok, I had girls giggling and making comments at the start of my teaching career but that stopped pretty quick because I am quite confident and direct.

With Sir, we have this thing in our school where the teachers call each other Sir and Miss in front of students.

Some students call me Sir, definitely the ones from the respectful backgrounds with middle to upper class upbringings. Some students address me with 'yo man' 'my g' etc and some of them call me by my first name as if they were my friend.

The staff room is a bit of a problem for me, I don't really go in there. There's no one really my age and the teachers there kind of treat me like a student as well. They talk about things like taking their kids to the doctors, current events etc which don't really interest me.

If I am ever in the staff room I'm normally just on my phone but most of the time I spend my time in the maths department or walking through the playground to get fresh air if its a nice day. Some breaks and lunches I spend marking or lesson planning.

I don't know if I should be saying this but *some* teachers swear hard and they do talk about the students. If one student or class was terrible, they would come in and say oh so and so what a terrible piece of character he/she is, pathetic.

With me I don't backchat on the students, I could have gone into higher paying fields but chose teaching to make a difference. So I'm not going to sit there and say how terrible students are, rather I would want to have a positive impact in the classroom.

Oooh, and I KNEW they talk about us!
Yeah Well only 3 that I was close with in my A level years I still have them on snapchat today (I’m in 2nd year uni) we’re in each others private stories etc.. it’s not as weird as it sounds 😂😂
Original post by The_Hunted
So I was wondering has anyone asked for their teacher's social media like facebook instagram or snapchat?

It is because I started teaching new this year (or last year calendar year wise) and so far its been a very interesting experience, highly rewarding and enjoyable overall.

By far the most common questions I have been asked is

1. Sir how old are you?

2. Sir have you got a girlfriend?

3. Sir add me on instagram

4. Sir have you got snapchat/facebook.

1 and 2 especially, I can't tell you how many times I've been asked that.

Now I don't know what the strict ruling is of having students on social media, but I was told by my senior manager that I should not have them. Personally I would never add my students on there for many reasons, but I'm not really a social media guy anyway.

Apart from snapchat, I don't really post on the others. Facebook is dead and I haven't uploaded much on my insta and all thats left on there are the remains of my 'slide into them DMs phase' from early uni days.

I just want to see what you guys think, because this site is a pretty good medium of communicating with students but keeping anonymous and no safeguarding issues arise so its nice I can get your thoughts. I teach maths by the way, and its 11-16.

Me personally going back to my school days I would never ask for my teachers social media unless it was a fit female teacher that me and my friends needed to "investigate". Funny how things change, some boys come up to me and say things like 'shes nice init sir' talking about female PE teachers to which I don't respond and move away.

I even got an invite to a year 11 student's party once, which was pretty weird. I did report it to my seniors because as teachers we have to report anything which is out of the norm due to safeguarding reasons. I'm not really a party kind of guy, I done all that in my student years - and I certainly wouldn't want to attend a party full of 15/16 year old kids (no offense guys, but I'm a grown up).

So guys, have you asked for your teacher's social media, do any of you have your teacher's on your facebook/insta etc? If so why?

Yeah I do I’m in 2nd year uni now and we’re still in each others private stories (not all my teachers just 3 I was closer with since my a level years) we used to see each other at nights out at the club when I was in yr13 it was weird at first but trust me it’s not as weird as it sounds to be mates with your teacher (one even almost got off with a mate of mine at the club but I pulled her away when I realised 😂)

Quick Reply

Latest