The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I am sorry, but this is mean, horrible, it will have the reverse effect, it will not encourage people to work harder and better, it will discourage them, perhaps they will even quit.
I think it's sadistic and it's mean and evil, it must be some professor who's bitter, and resentful for some reason, taking advantage of his / her position
This should be against the law
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 41
It's just a map...big deal.
Original post by jneill
Yup, I get the feeling it isn't a UK uni: "professor", "class", "semester".

Yes, I thought exactly the same - they sounded like American terms. We just needed "sophomore" for the set.

I think it's another example of creeping Americanisms from watching too many films.
Reply 43
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, I thought exactly the same - they sounded like American terms. We just needed "sophomore" for the set.

I think it's another example of creeping Americanisms from watching too many films.

BOOM!
https://www.reddit.com/r/college/comments/5mzwbx/professor_says_he_will_publicly_shame_bad_work/

Included additional info: "Perhaps this even verges on an intentional violation of FERPA (although I realize that FERPA deals more with protecting student records such as numerical grades)."

FERPA = Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act = US Legislation

I'm guessing this is the course (reference made to GA = Georgia) http://bulletin.uga.edu/link.aspx?cid=GEOG2011-2011L

(I love the inter webs...!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
BOOM!
https://www.reddit.com/r/college/comments/5mzwbx/professor_says_he_will_publicly_shame_bad_work/

Included additional info: "Perhaps this even verges on an intentional violation of FERPA (although I realize that FERPA deals more with protecting student records such as numerical grades)."

FERPA = Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act = US Legislation

I'm guessing this is the course (reference made to GA = Georgia) http://geography.uga.edu/geographic-information-science/

(I love the inter webs...!)

hahaha!

He shoots, he scores. The Harry Kane of TSR.
Reply 45
Original post by Reality Check
hahaha!

He shoots, he scores. The Harry Kane of TSR.

I'm more The Crazy Gang...
Still find this hilarious. It would have to be nasty humiliation for me to get worked up about it. Do your work and you wont be in trouble.

So this is really just a redit thread someone else found..... sigh
Original post by jneill
I'm more The Crazy Gang...

Ah, the other SW19!
Banter init.

I think if you work hard and deserve to be on the course, this wouldn't happen? If you're having a rough time at some point and don't create your best work, or are struggling, I'm sure he wouldn't do it to you but if you're being lazy or partying 99% of the time then maybe it isn't the worst thing in the world.

But it is uncalled for, I would hate it if my best work was actually awful and showcased for all to see but I think if it wasn't targeted and the Prof. isn't just doing it to be horrible then I think everyone could have a laugh about it also.
Original post by jneill
Yup, I get the feeling it isn't a UK uni: "professor", "class", "semester".

Professor is used in the UK for a more senior lecturer who tends to lead a research department etc. A lot of my lecturers were titled Professor. It's more of a title, and not just another term for a lecturer, I believe.

I also used the term semester, but never class.
Reply 50
Original post by 999tigger
Still find this hilarious. It would have to be nasty humiliation for me to get worked up about it. Do your work and you wont be in trouble.

So this is really just a redit thread someone else found..... sigh

Well the OP is the same name as the redittor so I suspect they are the same person and posted the question on both platforms.

Original post by Twinpeaks
Professor is used in the UK for a more senior lecturer who tends to lead a research department etc. A lot of my lecturers were titled Professor. It's more of a title, and not just another term for a lecturer, I believe.

I also used the term semester, but never class.

Perhaps, but this is an American. Fact.
Reply 51
53 comments on TSR vs 34 on Reddit.

TSR FTW :smile:
My advice would be to name and shame him here on this forum. Yes, we want our students to achieve the highest standards and to do this we need teaching staff, (lecturers or professors), of the highest standards too. Clearly, the professor in question, an unempathetic pratt, is not and should be reported.
Oh come on its hilarious. We dont need to be snowflakes. Context is important. he could eb a great lecturer who goes the extra mile and more to get his students to learn. Perhaps he really cares, perhaps students in the past havent taken it seriously. rather than shock horror, see it as a challenge.
he could eb a great lecturer who goes the extra mile and more to get his students to learn.

The OP doesn't think so! He could be lots of things!

Perhaps he really cares

And if he doesn't?

perhaps students in the past havent taken it seriously.

Too many imponderables!
Original post by holburn 75
The OP doesn't think so! He could be lots of things!

And if he doesn't?

Too many imponderables!

The OP was almost hysterical. the point is context is everything. Why do students need to be snowflakes? You are only hoing to get the public shaming if you dont learn the work and come in the bottom 10%. Why not just make sure you learn it? Not hard.
ProfessorLAD

Just do your work then, if you're not **** you have nothing to worry about
I think this guy sounds like great banter. Reminds me of one of the lecturers at my uni who read out the names of everyone who failed his lab report in class, the absolute savage. People need to take themselves less seriously.

Latest

Trending

Trending