The Student Room Group

When to start on past papers?

Okay, with A level exams 5 months away, I'm trying to make a timetable.
I want to incorporate time to purely past papers. Yes I understand that it's a new spec but the questions still get recycled - it's just that wording and the presentation that's different - I think 😂

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can recommend the best time to do past papers e.g. 2 weeks before hand, 2 days before etc prior the exams

Thank youuuu! :smile:
Reply 1
Omg don't do papers 2 days before exams!!! I'm sure you want an A so my advice to you would be don't stress about completing an entire exam paper yet, just focus on finding exam style questions on each topic. That way when you come to doing past paper 3-4 months prior to exams you will already be familiar with the style of questions and you'd be able to understand exactly what the questions are really testing you for. Good luck to you :smile:
think now. and ask your teachers common ways they try to catch oyu out
Reply 3
Well I've been doing past paper questions for Politics from the start, I'm starting to do whole past papers for Economics paper 1, C3 and M1. In April I'll be doing past papers for C4, eco 2&3, politics 3&4.. so try and do it at the end or during a unit deleting on the paper format.
I started with them from around the Easter hols. Then you can see what you need to focus on revising, revise it, and go back to the past papers and see where your strengths are.

Depending on your subject, you might find it good to start with working through it with a mark scheme at hand, but gradually get to not having one and only using it at the end - this worked particularly well for me for maths!
Original post by Jas1947
Omg don't do papers 2 days before exams!!! I'm sure you want an A so my advice to you would be don't stress about completing an entire exam paper yet, just focus on finding exam style questions on each topic. That way when you come to doing past paper 3-4 months prior to exams you will already be familiar with the style of questions and you'd be able to understand exactly what the questions are really testing you for. Good luck to you :smile:

Thank you so much for the advice! Dw, I won't do 2 days before hand, it was just a stupid suggestion haha
But I should do that although it might be a little difficult to be familiar with the style of the questions due to Linear A levels 😓

Again, thank you though :smile:
Good luck with whatever you're doing too
Original post by LisaNikita
think now. and ask your teachers common ways they try to catch oyu out

That's a great suggestion! Would never have thought to do that. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Paralove
I started with them from around the Easter hols. Then you can see what you need to focus on revising, revise it, and go back to the past papers and see where your strengths are.

Depending on your subject, you might find it good to start with working through it with a mark scheme at hand, but gradually get to not having one and only using it at the end - this worked particularly well for me for maths!

Thank you! I don't do maths but I do do ( :ahee: ) chemistry and as certain topics are maths heavy, I might try and do that during the Easter hols :smile:

:ahee::ahee:
At least a month before your exams. Ideally you should be starting past papers, when you have finished the syllabus AND are confident with the content. For A2 assessments( they take place in June) April is the perfect time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Legend15
At least a month before your exams. Ideally you should be starting past papers, when you have finished the syllabus AND are confident with the content. For A2 assessments( they take place in June) April is the perfect time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for that! I'll make sure that I'm already doing them a month in advance of the exams. When you said that it's best to start when I've finished the syllabus, should I try and get ahead of my classes because we are likely to finish the whole thing at least 2 weeks before the exams, if not, less?
As soon as possible tbh.
Original post by MarshmallowStars
Thank you for that! I'll make sure that I'm already doing them a month in advance of the exams. When you said that it's best to start when I've finished the syllabus, should I try and get ahead of my classes because we are likely to finish the whole thing at least 2 weeks before the exams, if not, less?

Yh, go ahead. IMO 2 weeks isn't enough. You're also going to be preparing for other assessments. So you'll end up having less than 2 weeks.But don't just whizz through the content just for the sake of finishing early. Taking your time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Legend15
Yh, go ahead. IMO 2 weeks isn't enough. You're also going to be preparing for other assessments. So you'll end up having less than 2 weeks.But don't just whizz through the content just for the sake of finishing early. Taking your time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh...good point :smile:
I'll take that on board
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest