The Student Room Group

Oral Thrush...

So I had a risky exposure, (man with man) without protection and I got checked one month later at the GUM clinic. I tested negative for everything, however I have been struggling to clear up my oral thrust since roughly a few days after the incident. Could I still test pos for hiv as I think there might be a delay?
Original post by Anonymous
So I had a risky exposure, (man with man) without protection and I got checked one month later at the GUM clinic. I tested negative for everything, however I have been struggling to clear up my oral thrust since roughly a few days after the incident. Could I still test pos for hiv as I think there might be a delay?

according to the nhs a blood test a month after is pretty reliable, http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/HIV/Pages/Diagnosispg.aspx. Speak to a doctor if you're concerned about your oral thursh not responding to treatment.
Three months is generally the longest period to wait for greatest accuracy.

That said, the risk of transmission in someone with KNOWN HIV in this instance is between 8-11 in 10,000. This figure reaches zero if the individual is on treatment with good response.

In addition, oral thrush isn't associated with HIV as such. Oeseophageal thrush is associated with AIDs (i.e. advanced HIV). You wouldn't have gone from contraction to AIDs within a month, and you only have oral thrush.

tl;dr - Chill out and be more careful in future.
For the oral thrush, go back to the GP / sexual health clinic (although it's not necessarily sexual).

Original post by Etomidate
Three months is generally the longest period to wait for greatest accuracy.

That said, the risk of transmission in someone with KNOWN HIV in this instance is between 8-11 in 10,000. This figure reaches zero if the individual is on treatment with good response.

A modern HIV blood test will give reliable results after a month. It's possible that, if you have just got HIV that it might take longer to test positive, but not at all likely. Men having sex with men are advised to have a test every year anyway.

The risk depends enormously on what you've done.

If he wasn't HIV+, the HIV risk is obviously nil.

If he is, but has been on treatment properly for six months or longer, it looks like the risk is also nil.

If he is, isn't on treatment (probably because he doesn't know), you were on the receiving end of anal and he came inside you, it's 'about' 11 in 1,000 (1.1%) but can be lower or higher depending on his viral load.

If he is, isn't on treatment, and you were on the penis end of anal, it's 'about' 6 in 10,000. Even that could be an overestimate, because of the number of men who only have one sort of anal is quite low and this affects the risk figures.

If he is, isn't on treatment, and he came in your mouth, it's probably as near nil as makes no difference.

If he is and you did (almost) anything else, it's nil.

Quick Reply

Latest