The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by Econhopeful17
Well Done!! You just be delighted!

Thanks very much!! I'm trying not to get to excited before results day. They've given us a rather difficult A*A*A offer.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by aminxv
Thanks very much!! I'm trying not to get to excited before results day. They've given us a rather difficult A*A*A offer.

It is a high offer but you can do it! Enjoy the moment! You have an offer! Brilliant!
@Econhopeful17

True, don't worry I won't write any more novels :')
Original post by soccermom39
@Econhopeful17

True, don't worry I won't write any more novels :':wink:

Do novels! It's entertaining! 🤗 X
Reply 864
It is a high offer but you can do it! Enjoy the moment! You have an offer! Brilliant!

Original post by rolaah
Still love UCL more than StA but am very tempted to put StA as insurance...
Hbu?

I am the other way around probably. Most likely choosing St A's over UCL but still wavering.

Original post by aminxv
St.A is amazing but its so damn far from home. Imperial is my firm :smile:

Congratulations :smile: both quality unis!

@Econhopeful17

True, don't worry I won't write any more novels :')

Will reply in a sec when I am more awake :tongue:

Do novels! It's entertaining! 🤗 X

Sorry man if the messages are too long. This was pretty much what I did in most uni threads I inhabit, start various long post convos on different issues :tongue: if you wanna join in we can talk about random stuff too! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joemfm
Thanks, I'm a terrible English Southerner coming over the border and stealing your uni places. A*A*A.

Well I'm a terrible EU citizen coming over the border (well at least that would be the dream lol) and stealing uni places. I don't feel too bad about it though because everbody can study for free in Germany, even overseas students. :wink:
Those predicted grades are amazing! Is St A your first choice?
Original post by wolfmoon88
I am the other way around probably. Most likely choosing St A's over UCL but still wavering.

Congratulations :smile: both quality unis!

Will reply in a sec when I am more awake :tongue:

Sorry man if the messages are too long. This was pretty much what I did in most uni threads I inhabit, start various long post convos on different issues :tongue: if you wanna join in we can talk about random stuff too! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I do enjoy reading all that's written! 🙌🏻😊
x

Sorry :/ I fell asleep but here is my message :tongue:

Of course, the government doesn't always have the power to proselytise its people (although pretty much all they need to do is to present mainstream media as "alternative facts" then eventually they'll probably be able to proselytise at least a majority of its people :tongue: :/) At any rate, yeah I've heard that there is still a shortage of STEM students in the UK even with incentives in place by the government to try and make more people go into STEM. In places where these kinds of policies do affect the general populace and the workplace as a whole are places where there is already a general success frame (in essence, you are right, pretty much means that the populace needs a preexisting interest in going into such fields for the government policies to work) that is related to STEM careers in place. What do I mean by a general success frame?

Take Taiwan, for example, :tongue:, during the 1980/90s, the Taiwanese government decided to jumpstart the economy by incentivising more people to go into STEM fields. A success frame is a concept that a certain route in life will lead to prosperity (frame of success alternatively). The people of Taiwan already had this idea that having their child go into careers such as Medicine, Dentistry, Engineering, Law and Accounting will lead to their children being successful in life. So when this policy came out, the situation I mentioned in the previous post happened. More people in Taiwan went into STEM-related fields in the hopes of becoming a Doctor or a Dentist or an Engineer or an Accountant etc... without an actual passion for the subject... and therefore more people went into Medicine (lowering the wages of medical doctors at least at junior level significantly) and what happened was the students began to go into fields of Medicine where they would earn more money, for example, Plastic Surgery and of course some people with higher grades dropped down to do dentistry because dentists earn more money than doctors here. Because of their apathy for the subject, the reverse effect intended occurred. There are fewer doctors who are trained in Taiwan who are willing to go into General Practice or Surgery because they earn less money. As a result, there is a surplus of doctors but a shortage of doctors in certain fields. Honestly because of the success frame that is in place and the relatively cheap university tuition in Taiwan, people don't really care about the time and the hours... as long as they make it.

I talked to an engineer who worked for a big multi-national company in Taiwan, I asked him, why did you go into engineering? he told me that the only reason he went into engineering was because he didn't have the grades to do medicine. Then I asked him, do you enjoy engineering? He told me that he only did engineering because it was the next best thing after Medicine and Dentistry. In other words, no he didn't enjoy engineering. He was extremely talented and he worked hard just because he wanted to advance in the company but he really had no interest in the subject. This kind of mentality does not breed innovative mindsets. If you are only doing a subject for the money, you would be less likely to be able to think innovative and keep yourself captivated in the subject at hand. So perhaps you are right... theoretically and economically the person may contribute more to society with a capitalist's incentive, however, I question if the person who studies a subject just for the money could truly have a large and meaningful contribution to the industry and society as a whole if the person went in with such a mindset.

As for my personal situation :tongue:, yes you are right, my family wanted me to go into medicine and I do have the grades to go into medicine if I wanted to (I took the UKCAT in the summer and everything :rofl:) and I don't really mind doing medicine related fields. But I really did not want to go into medicine because I was more interested in doing other fields that definitely would seem "less profitable" and job security would be a problem anyways for any field pretty much other than medicine and dentistry so yeah there aren't really any guarantees. So I decided not to go into medicine pretty much in the in few weeks before the Oxbridge deadline.

Anyhow your primary school model was rather extreme but it is happening in some places around the world. Yes, supply/ demand will definitely apply in that case and the workforce market will probably regulate itself.
Reply 869
Hey guys,
Has anyone heard back for BSc Geography?
Original post by c0nnieh
Hey guys,
Has anyone heard back for BSc Geography?

Not Geography but the same department. BSc Sustainable Development.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hellooo has anyone heard back from the modern languages department yet? (I'm EU!)
Just wondering if there has been any RUK offers for History where A-Level results are not known yet?

Thanks
Original post by Edenbee
Has anyone who has applied for Chemistry had a reply yet? I applied on the 2nd of October and am yet to hear anything. Had offers from all other Universities in the first week and I'm starting to get a bit worried.

I got an unconditional last week for chemistry! Don't worry though, there is still hope and I wish you luck. Are you going to any of those chemistry weekends that StA is hosting?
Original post by wolfmoon88
Sorry :/ I fell asleep but here is my message :tongue:

x .

I was going to compare the GDP per capita between the two countries so I could try and sort of explain why such a policy might work better in a country that 1) has a sort of "make it or you're basically nothing" culture (I think japan has this [and a few other SEA countries]) 2) has such a low GDP per capita that they have the incentive to find work with more money because there are few other options (whereas I could be a lot of things in the UK so I don't need [let's pretend that's in italics] to try and become an engineer). But itd be very long winded so I'll try and keep it short aha. (Though, in all fairness, I haven't actually looked at the labour market in Taiwan and the UK either (probably would've made a good EPQ topic).)

Anyways I understand where you're coming from however the countries are very different, almost too different to successfully compare the success of similar policies (Singapore has a ban on chewing gum and people there are very cool with it, I doubt it would fly here)

And true maybe someone who's only after money might not be as innovative but I actually asked my mate today whether or not he'd train to be a doctor if the government offered him 10k and then 100k once all the training was complete. At first, he said yes, I think most people would've, but then the actual time and effort he'd have to put in got to him and he decided against it. So not only does pre-existing interest block someone but ability too, I mean you could pay me 200k to be a games designer I'm interested but I won't get the job because there will be someone else who is more qualified, has experience, has genuine interest, reads outside of the subject, has the natural capability to do what I can't and that's why I think even if people are persuaded to switch careers the majority of those who end up in those careers will be the people who chose to do so before the incentive and so society would still gain; I think, it might be better to have 9 qualified nurses who do the job and go above and beyond and have 1 nurse who does the job but that's just it, than have 9 nurses who go above and beyond and those 9 only. (MRP falls but it's still a gain I would say; though you might think differently)

In the end, they'll still do the job and hey a lot of innovation comes from someone trying to one up something/ someone or gain money and some come about by accident, not just for the good of mankind, after all I doubt Flemming left his table so dirty for the good of mankind aha

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/taiwan/gdp-per-capita-at-current-prices-in-us-dollars-imf-data.html
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-per-capita
(if you wanted it)
(edited 7 years ago)
I was going to compare the GDP per capita between the two countries so I could try and sort of explain why such a policy might work better in a country that 1) has a sort of "make it or you're basically nothing" culture (I think japan has this [and a few other SEA countries]) 2) has such a low GDP per capita that they have the incentive to find work with more money because there are few other options (whereas I could be a lot of things in the UK so I don't need [let's pretend that's in italics] to try and become an engineer). But itd be very long winded so I'll try and keep it short aha. (Though, in all fairness, I haven't actually looked at the labour market in Taiwan and the UK either (probably would've made a good EPQ topic).)

Anyways I understand where you're coming from however the countries are very different, almost too different to successfully compare the success of similar policies (Singapore has a ban on chewing gum and people there are very cool with it, I doubt it would fly here)

And true maybe someone who's only after money might not be as innovative but I actually asked my mate today whether or not he'd train to be a doctor if the government offered him 10k and then 100k once all the training was complete. At first, he said yes, I think most people would've, but then the actual time and effort he'd have to put in got to him and he decided against it. So not only does pre-existing interest block someone but ability too, I mean you could pay me 200k to be a games designer I'm interested but I won't get the job because there will be someone else who is more qualified, has experience, has genuine interest, reads outside of the subject, has the natural capability to do what I can't and that's why I think even if people are persuaded to switch careers the majority of those who end up in those careers will be the people who chose to do so before the incentive and so society would still gain; I think, it might be better to have 9 qualified nurses who do the job and go above and beyond and have 1 nurse who does the job but that's just it, than have 9 nurses who go above and beyond and those 9 only. (MRP falls but it's still a gain I would say; though you might think differently)

In the end, they'll still do the job and hey a lot of innovation comes from someone trying to one up something/ someone or gain money and some come about by accident, not just for the good of mankind, after all I doubt Flemming left his table so dirty for the good of mankind aha

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/taiwan/gdp-per-capita-at-current-prices-in-us-dollars-imf-data.html
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-per-capita
(if you wanted it)

Hahaha that's very true, the same policies would definitely not work in the same way in different places around the globe. Whether it is in regards to GDP differences or I guess cultural differences or other factors, there aren't any "one size fit all" policies around the world at this moment in time.

That's fair, I would say that if you put it that way the MRP would definitely still be positive although there would definitely be a small decrease. I guess having some people who just do the job is not necessarily bad for the economy. And definitely, lots of scientific advancements came from accidents that inadvertantly benefitted mankind. There's a luck factor there which definitely exists :rofl:

The comparison would definitely be an interesting EPQ topic, unfortunately I do not have enough knowledge in economics to explore this topic in depth :/
Has anyone heard back from MA Psychology? (EU applicant)
IR anyone?
Reply 878
Original post by katherineeegrace
IR anyone?

Yeah!
Original post by joemfm
Yeah!

Me too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending