The Student Room Group

Say no to Donald Trump's state visit to Britain

Scroll to see replies

Steve Bell on the Queen and Trump.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2017/jan/30/steve-bell-on-donald-trumps-state-visit-plans-cartoon

The petition has now moved above 1.5m signatures.
Original post by Mathemagicien
News like this fills me with hope for humanity.

And then news like Trump's election takes it all away... I feel like at the end of 2017, I will wake up to a fascist Europe, and I don't know how I would be able to deal with that.

I think we have to be aware that there probably will be more victories for the far right, most probably in Holland and possibly France.

In effect, they are already in charge here, as the Tories with their slim majority are acting like a branch office of UKIP but with dictator powers.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think we have to be aware that there probably will be more victories for the far right, most probably in Holland and possibly France.

In effect, they are already in charge here, as the Tories with their slim majority are acting like a branch office of UKIP but with dictator powers.

Our Prime minister also has a great approval rating so it's not they're 'dictating'- the tidies clearly have support for their policies.

Talk about melodramatic. You are calling the democratically elected Tory majority essentially dictators, you are a sore loser.
Original post by LorcanK
Where did that £360 million go that was supposed to go to the NHS?

Last I heard we were STILL paying it to Brussels.

It will be great when we leave, get our money back and can spend it how we want to, won't it?

Where would you like it to go? How about on the NHS?
Original post by Lh030396
Yeah, but Obama was cool and charismatic, that's why we like him. .

Speak for yourself.

Some of us prefer to be at the front of the queue than the back.
Reply 106
Original post by NativesofEurope
No he is a world leader an it is important to establish ties with him. Use your brain moron

As was Adolf Hitler...
Original post by epoddoulc
The petition will never be taken seriously as one user can sign the same petition multiple times...

Stop moaning and accept life, you people are the reason why our generation is known as the snowflake generation..

There's a million signatures and only 100,000 signatures are needed for this to be taken to the MPs.

The only people calling this generation the snowflake generation are old white conservatives and alt right halfwits and frankly I dont think anyone gives a toss about what they think.
Please direct me to information about the state visits to Britain of Mussolini and Adolf Hitler for comparison purposes.

The Queen meeting him and state dinners at Buck House and golfing at Balmoral - all would indicate acceptance of this neo-fascist extremist as a 'normal' leader and 'business as usual' - when it isn't.

I thought the 7th post was quick to throw the argument, apparently you can't even wait that long.

Yes.

The Tories are running a phantom campaign in Stoke too, hoping that we Kippers take that seat from the Remainer Labour candidate who called Brexit a "pile of $hit"

And Gert Wilders will certainly win the most seats with a possible coalition partner ready to join in to overthrow the failed pro EU establishment administration. So that will be Nexit.

If Le Pen gets in that will be Frexit.

Happy days!

(Still think the "sick man of EUrope " has been a success, out of interest?)
Original post by Johnny Sinner
There's a million signatures and only 100,000 signatures are needed for this to be taken to the MPs.

The only people calling this generation the snowflake generation are old white conservatives and alt right halfwits and frankly I dont think anyone gives a toss about what they think.

It's reached 1.6m now, although the rate of signing has slowed, so I think it will peak around the 2 or 2.5m mark.

Pretty impressive for a mere petition. As only 1 in 10 people with a given opinion act on that opinion, we can assume that half the country doesn't want Trump to meet the Queen. She will be mindful of that herself in the palace dealings on this topic.
Original post by Dandaman1
That would be an incredibly foolish diplomatic decision. 'Snub the leader of the free world and the UK's closest ally.' You know, the one you're trying to get a good trade deal with? Very smart.

It doesn't matter if the man's an ass. He is visiting as the President of the United States , not just as Donald J. Trump. Deal with it.

The policies he has enacted have been done as PoTUS, not as Donald Trump so your second argument is a pretty poor one.

While it is important to maintain good relations with the US it is also important to not become subservient to them, especially when they undertake actions we disagree with or that may damage our relations with other countries further afield.

Brexit campaigners have constantly been on about the amount of nations to trade with outside the EU, maybe it might be time to look to do more than grovel and suck up to the US if that is the case.
Original post by nutz99
More people agree with him than disagree.

What are you basing that on?

His approval ratings are low, and he was elected by a minority of the votes.
We should ban him from a state visit for enacting one of the key points in his presidential campaign that he was elected for and absolutely bugger our chances of a solid trade deal just so we can say we're not as racist as him?

Not particularly pragmatic.
Just let him come here. At least then we can continue that good old British tradition of pelting unpopular politicians with eggs. I'd quite like to see that.
The petition has secured a parliamentary debate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38814346
It's amusing that the rival petition now has 126,000 signatures, compared to the no state visit petition, which currently has 1,693,000 signatures.
It's amusing that the rival petition now has 126,000 signatures, compared to the no state visit petition, which currently has 1,693,000 signatures.

Half of which are duplicates.
Reply 118
Original post by Mr. Popo
Let me guess those who signed the petition came largely from Muslim areas

Muslims pushing their weight around, as usual..

Waiting for you to condemn the Mosque shooting
Original post by RogerOxon
What are you basing that on?

His approval ratings are low, and he was elected by a minority of the votes.

Is it your position that he is an illegitimate President though?

Because if you accept he is the legitimate President of the USA, insulting him personally by withdrawing an invitation already issued for a state visit doesn't sound very sensible as a foreign policy, does it?

I mean suppose you make a new business contact and think you might have interests of mutual benefit so you invite him or her to a lunch at home. It could be life changing for the family's finances, a new partnership.

And your eight year old child throws a wobbly because of something they saw on children's TV on the BBC that they didn't like, so you withdraw the already issued invitation. Not forever, just until the infant feels OK about your guest.

It is unlikely to get that business project off to a good start is it? That partnership might not take place at all. And who will pay for the child's food and toys then? Well might it stamp its tiny feet and cry and scream.

The toddlers aren't making the decision for this family the grown ups are.

This visit will take place. And quite rightly so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending