The Student Room Group

GCSE Grades as a Mature Student at Oxbridge

Hello,

I am the process of completing my GCSEs and I have decided that I'm going to go back to university as a mature student rather than go straight away and I was wondering, how much emphasis do admissions tutors at Oxbridge put on GCSE grades for mature students?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
FLM2318 :smile:
Original post by FLM2318
Hello,

I am the process of completing my GCSEs and I have decided that I'm going to go back to university as a mature student rather than go straight away and I was wondering, how much emphasis do admissions tutors at Oxbridge put on GCSE grades for mature students?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
FLM2318 :smile:

Do you mean you are GCSE age now and you aren't planning to go to University until you are over 21? In which case, no point in thinking about it, you will have to deal with the entry requirements in 5 years or more and they will be different than they are now. Cambridge is a highly academic university, you need to get the very best grades you can at all levels to be competitive, unless you have relevant experience to compensate.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Do you mean you are GCSE age now and you aren't planning to go to University until you are over 21? In which case, no point in thinking about it, you will have to deal with the entry requirements in 5 years or more and they will be different than they are now. Cambridge is a highly academic university, you need to get the very best grades you can at all levels to be competitive, unless you have relevant experience to compensate.

Hello,

So does that mean that in a couple of years time, when I go back as a mature student (I'm intending on going to university in my 30s when I have more money and experience), they're going to put a lot more emphasis on my GCSE grades from when I was a teenager compared to the recent grades I got in an Access to HE course or in my A levels?

Thanks,
FLM2318
Reply 3
Original post by FLM2318
Hello,

So does that mean that in a couple of years time, when I go back as a mature student (I'm intending on going to university in my 30s when I have more money and experience), they're going to put a lot more emphasis on my GCSE grades from when I was a teenager compared to the recent grades I got in an Access to HE course or in my A levels?

Thanks,
FLM2318

No, of course not. Your most recent academic performance is more important.

Why are you even sitting (or retaking?) any GCSEs? Your Access to HE "trumps" your GCSEs.

What course are you considering at Cambridge, and what are your A-levels (and are they recent?).
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
No, of course not. Your most recent academic performance is more important.

Why are you even sitting (or retaking?) any GCSEs? Your Access to HE "trumps" your GCSEs.

What course are you considering at Cambridge, and what are your A-levels (and are they recent?).

Hello,

I'm debating studying natural sciences or human, social and political sciences (hence why I suggested the Access to HE course idea).

I'm intending on becoming a biomedical scientist in the RAF when I finish my A levels and then go on to complete a natural sciences degree. Hopefully that experience as a biomed scientist will help increase my chances of getting onto such a course!

I've also considered human, social and political sciences because it has elements of science in it and because I'm interested in how people interact, rule and act in different cultures and time periods!

I'm currently of GCSE age and I've chosen my A levels, which are history, English literature, chemistry and an EPQ in biology. The RAF only requires an A level in at least one science so I've covered all my bases tbh.

Thanks,
FLM2318
Original post by FLM2318
Hello,

Thanks,
FLM2318

Why on earth would any degree level course put more emphasis on academic achievement for 16 year olds than academic achievement aimed at 18 year olds?

I do wish people would stop and just think about things logically occasionally and stop building up teenage hysteria and hype into facts.

If you haven't done any academic study for 2 more years, chances are they will ask you to do something like some OU units. However, no-one can foretell the future, and you can read online what the current requirements for mature students are.
Reply 6
Original post by FLM2318
Hello,

I'm debating studying natural sciences or human, social and political sciences (hence why I suggested the Access to HE course idea).

I'm intending on becoming a biomedical scientist in the RAF when I finish my A levels and then go on to complete a natural sciences degree. Hopefully that experience as a biomed scientist will help increase my chances of getting onto such a course!

I've also considered human, social and political sciences because it has elements of science in it and because I'm interested in how people interact, rule and act in different cultures and time periods!

I'm currently of GCSE age and I've chosen my A levels, which are history, English literature, chemistry and an EPQ in biology. The RAF only requires an A level in at least one science so I've covered all my bases tbh.

Thanks,
FLM2318

So... you are 15/16 now and thinking about doing a degree at Cambridge when you are 30...

Who knows what the requirements (or even courses) will be in 15 years time. And by the way it's no easier getting into Cambridge at age 30 than age 18.

Also, I was under the impression that the RAF can assist you through university anyway?

For now, focus on your GCSEs and A-levels, and then getting into the RAF.
Original post by FLM2318

Tha RAF also says you complete a degree as part of your training. Therefore you would have to fund a second degree after your 12 years service.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
Tha RAF also says you complete a degree as part of your training. Therefore you would have to fund a second degree after your 12 years service.

Good point.

@FLM2318, you should really be thinking about postgrad if Cambridge is really a goal.

e.g. http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/blbcmpbsc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending