The Student Room Group

4 A Levels, 1 unrelated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm on my gap year now but I took bio maths chem and english lit. I also didn't know what I wanted to study at uni (ended up choosing psychology) I personally wish I'd taken 1 "easier" subject as the first 3 especially were a lot of work and a lot harder than they were at GCSE :/
The most important thing is to take subjects you enjoy as you're more likely to do better in them! :smile:
Original post by gillyfish01
tbh i like biology but not that much, but i want to do it at a level coz loads of courses have bio and chem together and i dont want to limit everything. i really like chemistry though and maths is pretty cool, rs i just find really interesting and want to learn about it.

Biology is a lot harder at A-Level. Do not do it unless you think you can handle it and will enjoy it. I know a lot of people who did it as they thought it would look good on UCAS. I then saw them cry in class and finally get Es and Us. There is a lot of context to cover and it gets very difficult. If you think you'll enjoy maths, then maybe look to do maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
(edited 7 years ago)
(edited 7 years ago)
but what if i decide to do biochemistry or something and i need biology. i kind if overthink it. the load of conetent in biology is kind of off putting but everything has to do at least 3 a levels and im not getting anywhre with rs,, since i am only picking it for fun

Just looked at Biochemistry at Oxford and it's not a requirement. They ask for:

A*AA with A* in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry or Biology, or a closely related subject

Try having a look at the specification now before September and see if it looks like something you could do. I'm not saying don't do it, but think carefully before you do.

I know quite a few people doing bio-med courses and such who didn't do bio. My cousin is at Cambridge doing NatSci with Maths, Physics, and Chemistry.

Biology I'm sure helps, I'm just an advocate for doing what you enjoy
Reply 26
i dont think ill have any problems with chemistry and maths, but biology. ii think im already slightly disliking it coz everyones saying theres loads of content (there is)

honestly biology was the best of the 3 as a lot of it was just expanding on IGCSE, (I'm not sure how different that syllabus is to GCSE) and even though there is quite a lot of content I feel like it easier than chemistry to get your head around
(edited 7 years ago)
yeah i think the tests in the first year is to predict our scores in our final year. But im wondering, do you have to decide if u want to a subject at as or a level when you choose it, because the content is different for them both (like as is more than half the content in a level)?

My 6th form basically just put everybody through AS and then A level in my year despite the AS levels for half of them not really meaning anything, but I think with the current year 12 they're just making people take 4 to A2 with the intention of dropping to 3 after the first year.

I'm assuming that when you choose a subject they'll just assume you're taking it till the end and give you some freedom to swap for other subjects during the first couple of months. (lots of people end up changing their minds)

Quick Reply

Latest