The Student Room Group

Foundation or no?

So that I can give myself plenty of time before 2018 Entry opens on UCAS, I'm currently trying to work out where I can study with my grades, so that I've got plenty of time to narrow my choices down and such.

I have been working on the premise that all I could "afford" with tariff points was to do a Foundation Year (also because it's been *a while* since I last studied - an Access course during my "traditional" Gap Year on leaving Sixth Form). However I was pretty much - well - flabbergasted to find out that if I tot up all my points I've got 176 in all to play with.

Although this means I've potentially got more choice as I'm not limited to the courses that *just* offer Foundation as well, it also means that I might be jumping into the deep end a little if I apply directly to Year 1 of a degree in a course with entry at the higher end of my points allowance.

I think I know what my gut's telling me, which is to still go with the Foundation route, but was hoping for some input? Do Universities ever turn you down for undervaluing your grades by going for the Foundation year when you *could* technically skip it? If you apply to some for Foundation entry and others for Year 1, can they see what other courses you've applied for at some point and interpret that as some sort of gamble?

I understand there is some leniency with mature students not having traditional grades/qualifications (although I got BCC across my A Level subjects, the B grade is in the subject I wish to study so it's not a huge leap in that regard I suppose).

Sorry for the waffle. I appreciate 00:15 isn't a time that most people are mentally switched on enough to answer such big and ambiguous posts :P
I think you're possibly looking at this issue from the wrong perspective. Rather than worry about what the universities might or might not prefer, what do you prefer? Do you feel ready to embark on the first year of an undergraduate degree? Or do you think that the foundation year would give you a valuable preamble; a breathing space to find your feet, and get back into the swing of academic work? A propos...

You say that you've not studied for 'a while' - how long, exactly, is a while? I personally wouldn't throw myself into an undergraduate degree without having any recent academic experience under my belt - I think it's asking for trouble.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr_Tumnus
So that I can give myself plenty of time before 2018 Entry opens on UCAS, I'm currently trying to work out where I can study with my grades, so that I've got plenty of time to narrow my choices down and such.

I have been working on the premise that all I could "afford" with tariff points was to do a Foundation Year (also because it's been *a while* since I last studied - an Access course during my "traditional" Gap Year on leaving Sixth Form). However I was pretty much - well - flabbergasted to find out that if I tot up all my points I've got 176 in all to play with.

Although this means I've potentially got more choice as I'm not limited to the courses that *just* offer Foundation as well, it also means that I might be jumping into the deep end a little if I apply directly to Year 1 of a degree in a course with entry at the higher end of my points allowance.

I think I know what my gut's telling me, which is to still go with the Foundation route, but was hoping for some input? Do Universities ever turn you down for undervaluing your grades by going for the Foundation year when you *could* technically skip it? If you apply to some for Foundation entry and others for Year 1, can they see what other courses you've applied for at some point and interpret that as some sort of gamble?

I understand there is some leniency with mature students not having traditional grades/qualifications (although I got BCC across my A Level subjects, the B grade is in the subject I wish to study so it's not a huge leap in that regard I suppose).

Sorry for the waffle. I appreciate 00:15 isn't a time that most people are mentally switched on enough to answer such big and ambiguous posts :P

Most unis will want proof of recent successful study. It depends on how long ago you did your A Levels and Access course, as to whether you will be expected to do a Foundation year or possibly even another Access course. You need to identify maybe half a dozen courses you like the look of, then email the Admissions Offices describing your background. They will tell you what their preferred route is. You may well find that the decision is made for you.

If the choice is left to you, then the fact that you're asking the question means that you have some level of doubt. Being a belt-and-braces type of person, I'd be going for the Foundation route in your shoes. But ultimately, as the previous poster says, it really depends on what you feel ready for (accepting that few of us older starters are ever completely without our reservations!).

It's quite telling that you did an Access course - solely designed for uni entry - when you already had BCC at A Level which would have got you into uni.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks for the replies :smile:

To clear a couple of points up about the Access course: I did a Gap Year after leaving Sixth Form in the hopes that it would give me time to work out "what next", the year was organised through a local church and their youth project, and funded by a charity which also funded a "mandatory" Access course in youth work. This was all 7 1/2 years ago now, and so possibly not "recent study" which even some of the Unis offering Foundation courses seem to require :/

I've decided doing a distance learning Access course this year (most that I've looked at so far take ~9 months which will be just enough time before UCAS '18 opens) to get back into the learning mindset, seems sensible really as with a "19+ Loan" I won't have to fork out the fees myself and it gets written off after finishing HE study, woot!

I suppose on reflection I might still be tempted to go for the Foundation year as self-study is one thing, but doing it full time will be a bit of a shock to the system after so long. Seems like effectively adding 2 years onto a 3 year course is the long way around, but then again I've effectively got a year to kill anyway so I'll be any further behind where I expect to be if I didn't do another Access course.

Anyways, thanks for acting as a sounding board, I guess it's what I needed to help me think things through :smile:
Original post by Mr_Tumnus
... I've decided doing a distance learning Access course this year (most that I've looked at so far take ~9 months which will be just enough time before UCAS '18 opens) to get back into the learning mindset, seems sensible really as with a "19+ Loan" I won't have to fork out the fees myself and it gets written off after finishing HE study, woot!...

Are you aware that you can apply through UCAS while you are doing the Access course? You don't have to complete it before you apply (or have I misunderstood your post?) You could do Access starting in September '17 for university entry in 2018.
This is one where you need to go with your gut feeling, I think.

I'm in a similar position... I was expecting my only option (should it actually come through) to be a degree with a foundation year. A spanner was thrown in the works when that offer did come back, but I also had an offer for direct entry from another uni. In my case, I've weighed up both courses and both unis, put all the positives and negatives down for both options, and I think in all honesty I'm leaning towards the foundation year. I did a distance learning Access course, and I'm unsure if there will be gaps in the knowledge needed for uni... plus I've been out of full time education for a while. That combined with the bonuses of the university offering that course is winning me over.

Think about it logically and write it all down. Run with whichever you're more comfortable with!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending