The Student Room Group

Break up or not?

I've been with my girlfriend for 4 months now, she's like a bestfriend to me. At the start we got along amazing, had cute dates, everything was going perfect. Thenwe had some mad arguments and went through a pretty rough patch. We've sorted those differences out though, but recently we've started having silly little spats over stupid things- and now I'm just not feeling the relationship :/

I know the sensible thing to do is split up, but I'm worried that if I do then I'll be losing my best mate, and that I may not be able to find another :frown:

Any suggestions?
Original post by Anonymous
I've been with my girlfriend for 4 months now, she's like a bestfriend to me. At the start we got along amazing, had cute dates, everything was going perfect. Thenwe had some mad arguments and went through a pretty rough patch. We've sorted those differences out though, but recently we've started having silly little spats over stupid things- and now I'm just not feeling the relationship :/

I know the sensible thing to do is split up, but I'm worried that if I do then I'll be losing my best mate, and that I may not be able to find another :frown:

Any suggestions?

As ever, the answer is talk about it.
Relationships wont be all sunshine and roses, sometimes it will take a bit of effort to make work.
When you start arguing, think about her side of the argument and her point of view. If you are wrong admit it.
Breaking up is the cheap way out in this case imo.
Reply 2
Original post by an_atheist
As ever, the answer is talk about it.
Relationships wont be all sunshine and roses, sometimes it will take a bit of effort to make work.
When you start arguing, think about her side of the argument and her point of view. If you are wrong admit it.
Breaking up is the cheap way out in this case imo.

Okay, how would you go about talking about it? Like how to approach it without getting her upset
Reply 3
I feel like I'm losing my attraction for her physically, although as I've put she is like a bestfriend to me personality wise:frown:
I understand the pain and frustration here. I've been in your situation before.
Talk it out. Maybe ask her friends. Have a night out and see how it goes because if you break up she might not respect you anymore and then the friendship will be wasted.
Best advice i can give you is never ever date a best friend because then you will never get them back because you would argue. Although, they know you like no-one else.

What do you feel like is best??
Reply 5
What made you lose your attraction for her?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it's possible to fix it having a good conversation, do just that.
Personally, I wasn't into my "boyfriend" that much (first relationship, so got too nervous and said yes without thinking) and I think he was quite serious. I felt I was being unfair to him because I didn't feel the same. I wanted to put a stop to it. Obviously, I didn't say I am not into you anymore but yeah we broke up (I said I have "too much going on" etc). We still talk, sometimes. It took a lot of courage because i hate hurting people but I feel much more relieved now.
Reply 7
Original post by Joanna_Plater
I understand the pain and frustration here. I've been in your situation before.
Talk it out. Maybe ask her friends. Have a night out and see how it goes because if you break up she might not respect you anymore and then the friendship will be wasted.
Best advice i can give you is never ever date a best friend because then you will never get them back because you would argue. Although, they know you like no-one else.

What do you feel like is best??

Its a horrible situation :frown:

We went for a night out but I didn't really enjoy it as were both so drunk haha.

Yeah that's good advice, before we started dating we didn't really know each other, but since the first date we've just grown into a couple who are also now best friends, and I feel I can't leave her as I'll be breaking her heart and mine as well.

I really don't know, I mean I can't talk to her by saying I'm not physically attracted to her anymore, because that won't go down well haha:s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by Paris100
What made you lose your attraction for her?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know really, I've just found myself wanting to be single and looking at other girls in a way a guy happy in his relationship shouldn't:s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by k_popper
If it's possible to fix it having a good conversation, do just that.
Personally, I wasn't into my "boyfriend" that much (first relationship, so got too nervous and said yes without thinking) and I think he was quite serious. I felt I was being unfair to him because I didn't feel the same. I wanted to put a stop to it. Obviously, I didn't say I am not into you anymore but yeah we broke up (I said I have "too much going on" etc). We still talk, sometimes. It took a lot of courage because i hate hurting people but I feel much more relieved now.

Yeah I'm seeing her tomorrow so hopefully we can talk it through.
Ah I see, yeah I feel like that is similar to me, although I feel too attached personality wise to let her go
Its a horrible situation :frown:

We went for a night out but I didn't really enjoy it as were both so drunk haha.

Yeah that's good advice, before we started dating we didn't really know each other, but since the first date we've just grown into a couple who are also now best friends, and I feel I can't leave her as I'll be breaking her heart and mine as well.

I really don't know, I mean I can't talk to her by saying I'm not physically attracted to her anymore, because that won't go down well haha:s-smilie:

Okay firstly, try and have a night out where you cannot get drunk xD

Do you feel like your more of a close friend to her than a partner? ( i cant say boy/girlfriend as i dont know your gender :L :/ ) Do you think she loves you a lot? like a lot more than you altogether?

If you really feel like that, then you need to sit down with her and tell her the truth because this can go two ways:
1) The truth will come out without you realizing > She finds out that youve been lying for the entire remain of the relationship
2) She will respect what you are saying and if she loves you how much she says then she will accept how you feel. > Thats the way to know if she really loves you.
Yeah I'm seeing her tomorrow so hopefully we can talk it through.
Ah I see, yeah I feel like that is similar to me, although I feel too attached personality wise to let her go

bear in mind that physical attractiveness will fade as anyone ages but inner beauty persists. If you love her for who she is, it's worth fighting for.
My ex was really quite annoying sometimes so don't compare our situation haha
I don't know really, I've just found myself wanting to be single and looking at other girls in a way a guy happy in his relationship shouldn't:s-smilie:

Talk to each other. Think about whether you could be happy and what it takes from her and she can do the same. Less arguing etc. Give it a try.

If the benefits of staying are less than being single then split. Sometimes things don't work and only fair to tell her. It might be the same for her. Most relationships will be destined to end, so don't feel too glum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending