The Student Room Group

Robots 'could replace 250,000 UK public sector workers'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
Because placebos don't prescribe themselves.

No, but you don't need any of that to prescribe placebos.

Come on nulli it's not that hard to get your head round, you've identified that placebos are underutilized, that we don't compare like with like but then you've got hung up on homeopathy, why are you still not comparing like with like? We can do placebos better and cheaper than homeopathy, so again i ask you, why are you so keen on homeopathy?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by unban Goat Boy
No, but you don't need any of that to prescribe placebos.

Come on nulli it's not that hard to get your head round, you've identified that placebos are underutilized, that we don't compare like with like but then you've got hung up on homeopathy, why are you still not comparing like with like? We can do placebos better and cheaper than homeopathy, so again i ask you, why are you so keen on homeopathy?

Although there is some evidence placebos work even when people know they are placebos, the full placebo effect arises from the charade that they are receiving treatment and that requires doctors (I don't think the BMA would stand for pretend doctors giving out pretend medicine). Likewise the successes of homeopathy are not due to the contents of the little phials of water but to the effect of the processes by which they are prescribed and created on the mind of the patient. If there was news that one of the big homeopathy suppliers had produced defective products you would have a genuine health crisis to deal with
Although there is some evidence placebos work even when people know they are placebos, the full placebo effect arises from the charade that they are receiving treatment and that requires doctors (I don't think the BMA would stand for pretend doctors giving out pretend medicine). Likewise the successes of homeopathy are not due to the contents of the little phials of water but to the effect of the processes by which they are prescribed and created on the mind of the patient. If there was news that one of the big homeopathy suppliers had produced defective products you would have a genuine health crisis to deal with

Mate, homeopathy is unregulated anyone can give out homeopathy.

What evidence is the homeopathy charade based on? Surely we can come up with a better charade, at a lower cost, that fewer people will consider a joke.
Predictions about machines taking over all the jobs have been around since like, the Ravelling Nancy. I don't see any need to slow the creation of automation just to save jobs; that's like saying home computers shouldn't have been invented, to maintain the typewriter industry.
Original post by MildredMalone
that's like saying home computers shouldn't have been invented, to maintain the typewriter industry.

I admire the Shanghai Weilv Mechanism Company, one of China's largest manufacturers of manual typewriters. They make machines for a range of European language markets. They were set up in 2004. Yes, that is right. In 2004 someone thought that the future of written communication was the manual typewriter and decided to set up a business making them.
Original post by MildredMalone
Predictions about machines taking over all the jobs have been around since like, the Ravelling Nancy. I don't see any need to slow the creation of automation just to save jobs; that's like saying home computers shouldn't have been invented, to maintain the typewriter industry.

You have it all wrong. I want to accelerate automation and make jobs redundant.

Machines did take over jobs and have impacts on people. They destroyed those who relied on their craft and turned them into cogs in a brutal machine and left many to just die.
(edited 7 years ago)
I admire the Shanghai Weilv Mechanism Company, one of China's largest manufacturers of manual typewriters. They make machines for a range of European language markets. They were set up in 2004. Yes, that is right. In 2004 someone thought that the future of written communication was the manual typewriter and decided to set up a business making them.

**** dude how do you know this stuff? :smile:

Who the hell buys them though?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Reform, a right-of-centre thinktank, says websites and artificial intelligence “chat bots” could replace up to 90% of Whitehall’s administrators, as well as tens of thousands in the NHS and GPs’ surgeries, by 2030 saving as much as £4bn a year.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/06/robots-could-replace-250000-uk-public-sector-workers

Yes.

But what will the 250k unemployed do?
Original post by yudothis
Yes.

But what will the 250k unemployed do?

Be unemployed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514

That's fantastic!
That's fantastic!

It's going to happen anyway to the majority of the population over the coming decades.

It could be fantastic, it could also be hell.

It's what we make of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamesN88
**** dude how do you know this stuff? :smile:

Who the hell buys them though?

Targets for espionage, prisons, people where electricity is unreliable, people with hard copy forms to complete.

I read an article about it. I didn't remember their name. I googled that.
Original post by paul514
It's going to happen anyway to the majority of the population over the coming decades.

It could be fantastic, it could also be hell.

It's what we make of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think if we collectively don't do something, it will be hell. But not in our lifetime, but maybe in our kids' it will start.
I think if we collectively don't do something, it will be hell. But not in our lifetime, but maybe in our kids' it will start.

depends on global tax cooperation
Original post by paul514
depends on global tax cooperation

I think it depends on a lot more than just that.
Reply 75
Same thing happened to farming a hundred years ago. Then, nearly half the working population had to work on the land to produce enough food for the population. Now, its less than 5% because machines have replaced humans and animals and modern crops are much more productive and needs far fewer people to work it.

But we don't have millions of unemployed farmers because new industries and work have sprung up. Jobs that were unknown just a few years ago have become common place like digital media producers and fung shui practioners. Ex office workers will find new jobs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I saw an amazing Horizon programme about placebo that showed that simply authoritatively telling people they are going to get better has a big effect, which is increased still further if they are given some pills and still more if something hi-tech looking is done, like a test and waving a gadget over them.

I think that is so interesting. :daydreaming: I genuinely wish my GPs would swap my pills for placebos without telling me.
I think it depends on a lot more than just that.

It really isn't, if everyone taxes everything at the same rate there is no avoidance and universal income becomes a reality at the rate of pay to be very comfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maker
Same thing happened to farming a hundred years ago. Then, nearly half the working population had to work on the land to produce enough food for the population. Now, its less than 5% because machines have replaced humans and animals and modern crops are much more productive and needs far fewer people to work it.

But we don't have millions of unemployed farmers because new industries and work have sprung up. Jobs that were unknown just a few years ago have become common place like digital media producers and fung shui practioners. Ex office workers will find new jobs.

Yes that's fair enough but what happens when complex and creative jobs go?

All we did through the different industrial revolutions was move more and more from manual to brain work.

What happens when brain work goes?

And regardless why do we even need to work when machines can provide for us

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
It really isn't, if everyone taxes everything at the same rate there is no avoidance and universal income becomes a reality at the rate of pay to be very comfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be a good thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending