The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance of studying Law at Cambridge?

I really want to study Law at Cambridge, but I am worried I will not have a competitive application at all

I feel like my GCSE Grades are not good enough.. These are my grades:

RE - A*
English Lit - A
English Lang - A
History - B
Design and Technology (Graphic Design) - B
Welsh (Second Language) - B
BTEC Science - Merit (B)
Mathematics - D
French - D
Media Studies - D

For AS Levels I am studying: History, English Lit, Religious Education (RE) and the compulsory Welsh Baccalaureate.

I am worried that I do not have enough A's to submit a competitive application, and that the D grades in French and Media Studies will not look very good for Law. I am aiming to get A*AAA in my A Levels.. is this too unrealistic of me?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spud23
I really want to study Law at Cambridge, but I am worried I will not have a competitive application at all

I feel like my GCSE Grades are not good enough.. These are my grades:

RE - A*
English Lit - A
English Lang - A
History - B
Design and Technology (Graphic Design) - Btehn
Welsh (Second Language) - B
BTEC Science - Merit (B)
Mathematics - C
French - D
Media Studies - D

For AS Levels I am studying: History, English Lit, Religious Education (RE) and the compulsory Welsh Baccalaureate.

I am worried that I do not have enough A's to submit a competitive application, and that the D grades in French and Media Studies will not look very good for Law. I am aiming to get A*AAA in my A Levels.. is this too unrealistic of me?

You don't have a competitive application but it's only one of your 5 choices so if your A level study is going exceptionally well then go for it if you want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
You don't have a competitive application but it's only one of your 5 choices so if your A level study is going exceptionally well then go for it if you want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 3
Unless you get those A level grades i'm afraid you don't stand a chance of even being considered

If you work hard and achieve the As and A* at A level and wow at interview no reason at all why you couldn't smash A levels and see from there
Reply 4
Original post by Danny081
Unless you get those A level grades i'm afraid you don't stand a chance of even being considered

If you work hard and achieve the As and A* at A level and wow at interview no reason at all why you couldn't smash A levels and see from there

Thank you :smile: so if I got AAA in my AS Levels, do you think they would consider me for interview?
Reply 5
Hi, your GCSE's are not the best- however Cambridge don't look as heavily upon GCSEs as Oxford. If you are doing AS levels? If so, try and get A's in them as they will help strengthen your application and show that your GCSEs are not a reflection of your true ability, if not, then it might be advisable to take a gap year and wait until you have your results. I do know someone from my school who got an offer from Cambridge this year for Law, at GCSE they got 10 A*'s 2A's, unfortunately I don't know what their predicted grades for A level are for reference, though I believe they do four A levels. I would recommend working as hard as you can if you really want to get into Cambridge.
Perhaps entering this would be a good idea? If you do well it would look good.
https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/essay-prizes/law/
Reply 6
Original post by spud23
Thank you :smile: so if I got AAA in my AS Levels, do you think they would consider me for interview?

Gotta get those A2 levels as high as you can

Also extra cirricular activities are so important

DOE, Sports teams, work experience, student council, prefect at school,
Cambridge doesn't have any specific GCSE requirements, unless you're studying Medicine/Vet Med so I wouldn't unduly worry. They're not the strongest set of GCSEs, which means you'll have to really ensure that you do well at your A Levels and, importantly, the admission's test.

It's not a write off, Law. But you need to work hard to be in with a realistic chance of gaining an interview.
Reply 8
Original post by emduck
Hi, your GCSE's are not the best- however Cambridge don't look as heavily upon GCSEs as Oxford. If you are doing AS levels? If so, try and get A's in them as they will help strengthen your application and show that your GCSEs are not a reflection of your true ability, if not, then it might be advisable to take a gap year and wait until you have your results. I do know someone from my school who got an offer from Cambridge this year for Law, at GCSE they got 10 A*'s 2A's, unfortunately I don't know what their predicted grades for A level are for reference, though I believe they do four A levels. I would recommend working as hard as you can if you really want to get into Cambridge.
Perhaps entering this would be a good idea? If you do well it would look good.
https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/essay-prizes/law/

Thank you so much! I will definitely look into entering that :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Danny081
Gotta get those A2 levels as high as you can

Also extra cirricular activities are so important

DOE, Sports teams, work experience, student council, prefect at school,

Thank you! I have applied for 2 days work experience in April with a law firm, Eversheds, so I'm hoping that will add to things :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Reality Check
Cambridge doesn't have any specific GCSE requirements, unless you're studying Medicine/Vet Med so I wouldn't unduly worry. They're not the strongest set of GCSEs, which means you'll have to really ensure that you do well at your A Levels and, importantly, the admission's test.

It's not a write off, Law. But you need to work hard to be in with a realistic chance of gaining an interview.

Thank you, I will definitely work hard :smile:
Hey man, I am also looking at applying for Law at Cambridge next year!
My GCSE's are also very bad, so I guess we have that going for us both :smile:
I have been advised by my school that as long as we nail all of our mocks, get plenty of work experience (I have already 2 internships in law firms) and write a killer personal statement - we can get an interview at least. I have read on the Cambridge website that they do not love people who get 14 A*'s at GCSE or something, because it shows that they have peaked too early and won't necessarily go full study mode on at University. However, if you show them that during GCSE something happened (I had personal reasons) or if you weren't clever enough, but now have improved a lot at A levels - they would give us an offer assuming that we would peak at university and get a 1:1 or high 2:1. (going from low, medium and then high intelligence rather than high high high). (They like development apparently)
Reply 12
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Hey man, I am also looking at applying for Law at Cambridge next year!
My GCSE's are also very bad, so I guess we have that going for us both :smile:
I have been advised by my school that as long as we nail all of our mocks, get plenty of work experience (I have already 2 internships in law firms) and write a killer personal statement - we can get an interview at least. I have read on the Cambridge website that they do not love people who get 14 A*'s at GCSE or something, because it shows that they have peaked too early and won't necessarily go full study mode on at University. However, if you show them that during GCSE something happened (I had personal reasons) or if you weren't clever enough, but now have improved a lot at A levels - they would give us an offer assuming that we would peak at university and get a 1:1 or high 2:1. (going from low, medium and then high intelligence rather than high high high). (They like development apparently)

Wow thank you! That's given me a little extra confidence now! I wish you luck in your Cambridge journey :biggrin:
Original post by spud23
Wow thank you! That's given me a little extra confidence now! I wish you luck in your Cambridge journey :biggrin:

Haha, no worries! I am going on the open day next week. If you already have AAAA at AS, why make the thread now? (or have you already applied/deferred entry?)
Reply 14
Haha, no worries! I am going on the open day next week. If you already have AAAA at AS, why make the thread now? (or have you already applied/deferred entry?)

No no, sorry I don't think I explained myself well in my original post! I am currently in Year 12 studying for my AS Levels which I hope will be AAA, then I am hoping to get A*AAA next year in Year 13! The additional grade being Welsh Baccalaureate which I don't get an AS result for :smile: I will hopefully be applying for Cambridge this October :smile:
Original post by spud23
No no, sorry I don't think I explained myself well in my original post! I am currently in Year 12 studying for my AS Levels which I hope will be AAA, then I am hoping to get A*AAA next year in Year 13! The additional grade being Welsh Baccalaureate which I don't get an AS result for :smile: I will hopefully be applying for Cambridge this October :smile:

I'm also in lower sixth, but we don't do AS levels? We only do A2 exams at the end of year 13 and mocks in July of course.
Reply 16
I'm also in lower sixth, but we don't do AS levels? We only do A2 exams at the end of year 13 and mocks in July of course.

Ooh, I understand your confusion then haha! We have mock exams next month and then we'll be sitting AS exams starting in May, and then have results day for AS results and start preparing our UCAS applications in September :smile:
Original post by spud23
Ooh, I understand your confusion then haha! We have mock exams next month and then we'll be sitting AS exams starting in May, and then have results day for AS results and start preparing our UCAS applications in September :smile:

I'm confused as to why you're doing AS exams... All new A levels have 0 AS exams apart from maths and DT I think. We have to have our personal statement handed in the first week back for Oxbridge applicants.
Reply 18
I'm confused as to why you're doing AS exams... All new A levels have 0 AS exams apart from maths and DT I think. We have to have our personal statement handed in the first week back for Oxbridge applicants.

I'm not sure haha, my exam board is WJEC if that means anything??
Out of interest, OP, in the context of your aim to get A*AA at A level, why is it that your GCSEs are as they are?

Quick Reply

Latest