The Student Room Group

is it worth killing myself for 9 days to earn £2k?

OK, i am a locum health professional who, due high competition within 30 miles of my house is currently unemployed for the last 2 months (in fact I only have 1 day of work scheduled for the rest of the year so far). I have been offered 9 days of locum work...however it is 70 miles from home (140 miles of travelling per day on predominantly B roads in an unrealiable, small-engined hatchback that needs to be jumpstarted everyday in the cold), I dont get reimbursed for travel expenses and the work means that I either have to leave home at 5am and get back around 5pm or for later shifts I have to get back at 1am the following day. to stay in hotels Id be using most of my wages staying overnight in an area im not familiar with.

so guys, is it worth it? (ps im getting £200+ / day of work)
whatever it takes
Reply 2
Original post by Angry Bird
whatever it takes

main problem is accomodation costs as a) Id be spending about £1.2K on accomodation alone; b) other expenses (ie food, petrol, etc) would easily increase the figure to £1.5-1.6K c) if you deduct tax and NI from £2k, I take away <£1.5k before expenses, meaning Id be net even before the work there.

on top of that it is in a remote part of the UK, nearest emergency services are nowhere near (minimum of 30 minute drive), there are no ethnic minorities (I am one) and personal experience is that a lot of village people are really bad with minorities (I once left a job 4 years ago as I was being horrendously victimised, including 2 patients trying to convert me to different sects of christianity in public :| ).

then again, my next nearest job is in september in a place which does quite a few illegal stuff and I get scapegoated.

decisions decisions eh
Original post by Anonymous
main problem is accomodation costs as a) Id be spending about £1.2K on accomodation alone; b) other expenses (ie food, petrol, etc) would easily increase the figure to £1.5-1.6K c) if you deduct tax and NI from £2k, I take away <£1.5k before expenses, meaning Id be net even before the work there.

on top of that it is in a remote part of the UK, nearest emergency services are nowhere near (minimum of 30 minute drive), there are no ethnic minorities (I am one) and personal experience is that a lot of village people are really bad with minorities (I once left a job 4 years ago as I was being horrendously victimised, including 2 patients trying to convert me to different sects of christianity in public :| ).

then again, my next nearest job is in september in a place which does quite a few illegal stuff and I get scapegoated.

decisions decisions eh

in that case it's not worth it
I don't think you need to be too scared about there not being ethnic minorities... but if you're not going to make a significant amount of money then don't bother, I'd work myself ragged for a week for 2k but you're not actually going to get 2k so it doesn't seem worth it
Yeah I would say so if you don't have regular work. I would recommend not paying for overnight accommodation though and just travel - but you'd still need to work out travel costs to see if they're too significant for it to be worth it. You may pay tax on this work but it's likely you can reclaim it back as if you're working as little as you say you might not reach the 11k threshold (depending on how much you earned over the past year). I wouldn't consider food an expense with work, as you need to pay for food anyway even if you didn't work?
Reply 6
Original post by roflcakes1
Yeah I would say so if you don't have regular work. I would recommend not paying for overnight accommodation though and just travel - but you'd still need to work out travel costs to see if they're too significant for it to be worth it. You may pay tax on this work but it's likely you can reclaim it back as if you're working as little as you say you might not reach the 11k threshold (depending on how much you earned over the past year). I wouldn't consider food an expense with work, as you need to pay for food anyway even if you didn't work?

essentially I have only earned >£9k this tax year (not bad for 60 odd days of work). logistically it would be a nightmare to travel constantly as, like I mentioned previously, Id be travelling 140 miles a day in predmoninantly B roads in a car I dont trust in winter conditions.
regarding tax, even if you take into consideration what Im getting from this work, due to the amount of mileage I have done and given as gift-aid, I would be tax neutral unless I make 3k in the next month.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
essentially I have only earned >£9k this tax year (not bad for 60 odd days of work). logistically it would be a nightmare to travel constantly as, like I mentioned previously, Id be travelling 140 miles a day in predmoninantly B roads in a car I dont trust in winter conditions.
regarding tax, even if you take into consideration what Im getting from this work, due to the amount of mileage I have done and given as gift-aid, I would be tax neutral unless I make 3k in the next month.

Can you think of alternatives for accommodation near the work place? a cheap b&b, airbnb, couchsurfing, even renting a van. Even if not in the same town, somewhere closer?
If you are really tight on money and this would significantly improve your situation I'd say it's worth it.
just DO IT!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending