The Student Room Group

How is everyone finding the new 9-1 Maths GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NateRiver
Yeah our teacher doesn't believe these boundaries are good but it has been based on the results of all the participants in these mocks. Seems that they were found to be quite difficult.

In your school, or of a sample of schools?
easy
Original post by _gcx
In your school, or of a sample of schools?

Of all the schools that took part and submitted their results to Edexcel before the 13th of January.
Reply 83
ez, my target is 8 but my teacher thinks I can get a 9. I'm doing AQA maths it's really not that bad
Of all the schools that took part and submitted their results to Edexcel before the 13th of January.

That is actually quite interesting, but:

The papers test on the whole course, whereas most teachers haven't finished teaching the whole course.

Students would be significantly less prepared.

Students have had significantly less time to practice (kind of links in with the first)

Students would apply a more relaxed work ethic, as it is only mocks, and thus would see that reflected within their results.

I am therefore unsure as to whether we can take the boundary to be accurate, or not.
Original post by _gcx

The papers test on the whole course, whereas most teachers haven't finished teaching the whole course.

Students have had significantly less time to practice (kind of links in with the first)

Students would apply a more relaxed work ethic, as it is only mocks, and thus would see that reflected within their results.

I am therefore unsure as to whether we can take the boundary to be accurate, or not.

Exactly.

Did you sit these exams yourself? If so, how did you find them?
Exactly.

Did you sit these exams yourself? If so, how did you find them?

I did, yes, and I found them to be quite reasonable difficulty-wise. I probably got something in the region of the mid-high 220s.
It isn't as bad as I hoped, but there are obvious areas of concern for me, but these were on the old spec. The key thing is to practise with this exam.
Reply 88
Original post by _gcx

The Edexcel mock statistics were very very low (only 20% scored more than 86/240). But you're correct that these shouldn't be used to predict grade boundaries since these mocks were taken 5-6 months before the real exam.
Original post by notnek
The Edexcel mock statistics were very very low (only 20% scored more than 86/240). But you're correct that these shouldn't be used to predict grade boundaries since these mocks were taken 5-6 months before the real exam.

Wow, I knew it was low, but I didn't know it was that low.
Reply 90
The grading system is piss takin, they're trying to ruin us on purpose. They want us to be machines.
Most people in my school got less than 100/240, only because in January we weren't taught the whole spec.
I self learned the whole specification, did lots of past paper questions, lots of revision and went through absolutely everything, that's how I got a 9. (It's perfectly possible, I was predicted a 6 before my mocks...)
yeah same i was predicted a 5 and i got a 7 its a good start i guess??
Original post by Quizlet
Most people in my school got less than 100/240, only because in January we weren't taught the whole spec.
I self learned the whole specification, did lots of past paper questions, lots of revision and went through absolutely everything, that's how I got a 9. (It's perfectly possible, I was predicted a 6 before my mocks...)
Original post by unillama
yeah same i was predicted a 5 and i got a 7 its a good start i guess??

An excellent start, I'm pretty sure you'll get an 8/9.
lets hope so
and why are u labelled quizlet??
Original post by Quizlet
An excellent start, I'm pretty sure you'll get an 8/9.
Original post by unillama
lets hope so
and why are u labelled quizlet??

:u:Quizlet is hot
ahhhhhhhha i agree !!!
Original post by Quizlet
:u:Quizlet is hot
Original post by Misaki24
Im finding the content fine, but the exams are a total disaster

soo true
I'm finding it hard some topics make sense, some just confuse me. I'm just happy with a B at this point
Original post by Quizlet

thats sickkkkkk! where do u revise from i need to go from 4 to 6 in three months! :afraid:

Quick Reply

Latest