The Student Room Group

Article: 15 things that only happen in university halls

Moving into halls is one of the most exciting parts of the whole uni experience; a lot of memories will be made in your little dorm room.

So whether it’s new eating habits, questionable sleep patterns or living with hundreds of other students, here’s a glimpse at what you can expect when you move into uni halls…

1. Stepping over a sleeping Smurf when you leave for your 9am lecture
It’s usually a medic. Or a lawyer. Have fun trying to scrub blue paint off the carpet for the rest of the year.

2. There’s always a stranger at your kitchen table… and nobody seems to mind
You shuffle into the kitchen in your sunglasses to make yourself a coffee, and there’s someone flicking through Tinder at the table. “Hey, I’m Tom, I’m Greg’s mate from home”, says the stranger. You nod blearily, before realising you don’t know a Greg either.

Read more>>
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
HAHA lol
Original post by Kyx
HAHA lol

Literally can't wait to start uni
The last one got me.
Number 8 and 15 was pretty funny.
16. Somebody, usually quite early in the first term, will be spotted getting the baked beans out of a can one at a time after piercing a hole with a hand-operated can opener and not taking the top fully off.
Original post by Good bloke
16. Somebody, usually quite early in the first term, will be spotted getting the baked beans out of a can one at a time after piercing a hole with a hand-operated can opener and not taking the top fully off.

I only recently learned that people eat beans without heating them first. Barbarians!
Original post by Athematica
I only recently learned that people eat beans without heating them first. Barbarians!

Hehe. That beats the old staple meal: tomato soup followed by Instant Whip.
Hehe. That beats the old staple meal: tomato soup followed by Instant Whip.

An irrelevent comment: I appreciate the advice you wrote on your profile regarding personal statements. Recently, we were asked to write first drafts of our own PSs and in reading "Ever since I was 6--" and "From the vastness of space to the intricacies of time!" in others' initial attempts, and not seeing the tutors correct this, I cringed, giggled, and felt content in my relatively mature approach in what feels like a more meaningful communication of my interests, achievements and compatibility for the course I'd like to study. Thanks for using that space to help!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Athematica
An irrelevent comment: I appreciate the advice you wrote on your profile regarding personal statements. Recently, we were asked to write first drafts of our own PSs and in reading "Ever since I was 6--" and "From the vastness of space to the intricacies of time!" in others' initial attempts, and not seeing the tutors correct this, I cringed, giggled, and felt content in my relatively mature approach in what feels like a more meaningful communication of my interests, achievements and compatibility for the course I'd like to study. Thanks for using that space to help!

Thank you. How unexpected! And welcome.
Can't wait for uni, so excited!
Reply 11
that was very funny well done
Number one :lol:

I used to wake up most Thursday morning's still in my fancy dress costume :ninjagirl:

Snakebite is the devil :devil3:
Loveeeee this. :laugh:
I wanna go to uni so bad :cry:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg

Sammeee! how long do you have left? For me only 1 and a bit years :biggrin:
Reply 16
I'm a bit glad I got rejected for halls, it means I didn't have to deal with this (though one of my housemate is extremely lazy and makes the house smell like weed).

One thing that I can relate to is finding a stranger in the kitchen: almost every week whichever accommodation I go to, there's always that one guy no-one knows.

Original post by CheeseIsVeg

Your time will come soon.
Original post by TheYearNiner
Sammeee! how long do you have left? For me only 1 and a bit years :biggrin:

This year if I get my A2 game on :colondollar:
:hugs:
Original post by kkboyk
I'm a bit glad I got rejected for halls, it means I didn't have to deal with this (though one of my housemate is extremely lazy and makes the house smell like weed).

One thing that I can relate to is finding a stranger in the kitchen: almost every week whichever accommodation I go to, there's always that one guy no-one knows.

Your time will come soon.

I hope so :redface:
Can only relate to the laundry one

goddamnit

have developed a habit for Saturday 6am laundry after an all nighter
-WILD ik :cool:

And I happen to be that "somebody".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending