The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL War Studies BA Sept 2017

Right guys,

Thought I'd make a thread for those of us want to do this course next year. What sort of stuff have you done to prepare, what were your AS grades?

Cheers
TW
Hi I got rejecter for IR but the admission office is now considering my application for the war studies BA ! Hope I'll get in it seems interesting and Kings is my dream uni. Do you think they would have suggestive that alternative if I didn't have a (serious) chance of getting in ?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by quitteriedtr
Hi I got rejecter for IR but the admission office is now considering my application for the war studies BA ! Hope I'll get in it seems interesting and Kings is my dream uni. Do you think they would have suggestive that alternative if I didn't have a (serious) chance of getting in ?

Sorry to hear you got rejected! What are you predicted? (EDIT: Just seen you're doing the IB, is it 35 points you need as a minimum?)

Both courses are fairly similar to each other (I applied to both), so it's great that you've been made an alternative suggestion! I'm not sure on your chances as I don't really have much experience with what you're going through, though it can't be bad that they've made the suggestion, so that's definitely positive. Surely, if they didn't want you then they would have made the suggestion.

Let me know how you get on.
Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm doing the French baccalaureate and I'm predicted 18/20 overall which is A* . Must have been my PS that was wrong, I feel like I didn't talk about what interested me in IR enough ...
Original post by TangoWhisky
Sorry to hear you got rejected! What are you predicted? (EDIT: Just seen you're doing the IB, is it 35 points you need as a minimum?)

Both courses are fairly similar to each other (I applied to both), so it's great that you've been made an alternative suggestion! I'm not sure on your chances as I don't really have much experience with what you're going through, though it can't be bad that they've made the suggestion, so that's definitely positive. Surely, if they didn't want you then they would have made the suggestion.

Let me know how you get on.
Good luck!
I'm doing the French baccalaureate and I'm predicted 18/20 overall which is A* . Must have been my PS that was wrong, I feel like I didn't talk about what interested me in IR enough ...

At least you're on track for good grades. If worst comes to worse, you could take a year out and reapply next year. Hope it all goes well!
At least you're on track for good grades. If worst comes to worse, you could take a year out and reapply next year. Hope it all goes well!

Thanks ! I've got offers for Warwick PAIS and Exeter (IR) and I've got back up plans in France, so I'll be fine anyways :smile:. What about you ?Have you heard from Kings yet ?
Thanks ! I've got offers for Warwick PAIS and Exeter (IR) and I've got back up plans in France, so I'll be fine anyways :smile:. What about you ?Have you heard from Kings yet ?

Glad to hear you've got back up plans :smile:, what offers do have in France? As for me, I've got offers from King's for War Studies and IR, Exeter too for IR with strategy and international security and Kent for War Studies. I'm just waiting for LSE for IR.
Whoaa that's impressive !! Congratulation !Do you know which one you'll firm ?

In France we can ask for up to 12 bachelors + what we call "CPGE or Prepa" that are foundation courses that last for 2 years to prepare us for the most selective business schools like HEC or ESSEC. In total we can add 24 choices.
I've asked for the European bachelor of political sciences at the Université Catholique de Lille, politics and history at the Université Catholique de Paris, Law at La Sorbonne/Assas and a few others but I'm not finished yet. We won't hear back until may/june ... What's great is that we don"t have to ask for a reference letter or write a PS, just hand out a CV and motivation letter:biggrin:
And I've also applied to the International Politics and Government BSc at Bocconi, results are next week :colondollar:
Glad to hear you've got back up plans :smile:, what offers do have in France? As for me, I've got offers from King's for War Studies and IR, Exeter too for IR with strategy and international security and Kent for War Studies. I'm just waiting for LSE for IR.
Whoaa that's impressive !! Congratulation !Do you know which one you'll firm ?

In France we can ask for up to 12 bachelors + what we call "CPGE or Prepa" that are foundation courses that last for 2 years to prepare us for the most selective business schools like HEC or ESSEC. In total we can add 24 choices.
I've asked for the European bachelor of political sciences at the Université Catholique de Lille, politics and history at the Université Catholique de Paris, Law at La Sorbonne/Assas and a few others but I'm not finished yet. We won't hear back until may/june ... What's great is that we don"t have to ask for a reference letter or write a PS, just hand out a CV and motivation letter:biggrin:
And I've also applied to the International Politics and Government BSc at Bocconi, results are next week :colondollar:

Wow, the French application system seems a lot more free than the UCAS system, you've got quite a bit of variety in your options. It must have been nice to be able not to write a PS! Best of luck with Bocconi :smile:.

I'm going to firm King's WS, and insure Kent. If for some reason LSE offer me AAB, then I'll insure them, though I know that that's asking for the impossible! :colondollar:
Yes but they definitely don't have the reputation of UK universities :wink:
Wow, the French application system seems a lot more free than the UCAS system, you've got quite a bit of variety in your options. It must have been nice to be able not to write a PS! Best of luck with Bocconi :smile:.

I'm going to firm King's WS, and insure Kent. If for some reason LSE offer me AAB, then I'll insure them, though I know that that's asking for the impossible! :colondollar:
I got in ! I don't know what I'm going to to though ... war studies is very different from IR and it's not what would interest me the most I think ... I'm still waiting on St Andrews and Edinburgh, so I guess I'll see after their decision
I got in ! I don't know what I'm going to to though ... war studies is very different from IR and it's not what would interest me the most I think ... I'm still waiting on St Andrews and Edinburgh, so I guess I'll see after their decision

That's great! Well done :smile:. If you can, I'd recommend getting yourself on an applicants day, get to know the subject a bit more. I think there's one around April. Being under the same department, the two courses have a very similar module list to choose from, so you could tailor it for you.

At the bottom of these pages you can scroll through the available modules:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/international-relations-ba.aspx

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/war-studies-ba.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)

Also, this is definitely worth a look at:
www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/warstudies/gta/module-list-gta.PDF

Quick Reply

Latest