The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
As per Doonesbury, those groups are just there for people to fill with spam to either trick unsuspecting freshers into buying tickets for events they don't need or annoying them with useless crap. There's an official FB Cambridge group run by CUSU, is it really that hard to just stick with that...?

Hey Zacken, random question but is it possible to get a room with a piano in it in your first year if you're not studying Music?
Original post by NeverLucky
Hey Zacken, random question but is it possible to get a room with a piano in it in your first year if you're not studying Music?

^#priorities

Err, if you're very lucky, but basically no. Rooms in your first year are allocated randomly (you only pick the building you want to live in: Spalding (long contract, kitchens, shared bathroom) or Keynes (short contract, minimal gyp rooms and ensuites) and then you're allocated a room randomly(*) in there. If you pick Spalding, there's a small chance you could get a room with a piano in if there aren't many music students that year, but that's a minuscule chance. You could possibly ask accommodation if you could have a room with a piano in it, but that's 95% not going to work.

That said, there's a music room in college that has a fair amount of pianos and you can always use that.

(*) the only extra choice you get to make is whether you want a very low priced room or not, for those with financial difficulties.

All colleges have music practice rooms with piano which can be used by any student who needs it.
Some (very few, afaik) colleges have very limited number of rooms in which you can have piano/keyboards, usually at extra cost, so if it's essential to have a piano in your own room, you can try applying for it even in the first year, but if you're not reading Music, possibility of getting is probably not very high.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by liziepie
How do you have an unconditional if you're doing your A levels? : o

I completed 6 already when I was younger, and now I am 18 am finishing 4 more this June.
Original post by wolfmoon88
He/She has 10 A levels + I think (so already have some achieved A Levels)

Saw it in another thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha ha, thank you agent Wolf. I will have 10 but no '+' 🙂, Unlike Ali Moeen Nawazish with his 22 A-levels in 2009! There are some really smart people at Cambridge!
Original post by Bunratty
Ha ha, thank you agent Wolf. I will have 10 but no '+' 🙂, Unlike Ali Moeen Nawazish with his 22 A-levels in 2009! There are some really smart people at Cambridge!

Sounds like it is more like 12-14 if you ignore duplicates and near-duplicates (Further Maths vs General Further Maths(?!), Computer Science vs ICT) and the usual suspects (Critical Thinking, General Studies, Thinking Skills, General Paper), but still oviously very impressive, if only because it would take enormous stamina to remember all those mark schemes.

Interestingly, he only got 2:2s in his first two years, and a 2:1 in his last; so even the most intimidating figures at Cambridge might not be as impressive as they appear (or perhaps he just got into alcohol and rowing).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Sounds like it is more like 12-14 if you ignore duplicates and near-duplicates (Further Maths vs General Further Maths(?!), Computer Science vs ICT) and the usual suspects (Critical Thinking, General Studies, Thinking Skills, General Paper), but still oviously very impressive, if only because it would take enormous stamina to remember all those mark schemes.

Interestingly, he only got 2:2s in his first two years, and a 2:1 in his last; so even the most intimidating figures at Cambridge might not be as impressive as they appear (or perhaps he just got into alcohol and rowing).

I thought much the same about the duplication and some of the non-facilitating subjects, not to mention MFL when a native speaker, but even so!

Regarding his degree, which I think was Computer Science, he did say he wanted to be a doctor, so maybe his heart wasn't in it.

'Intimidating figures'? That is a large part of joining Cambridge for me. I want to be with smart people whom I can learn from and share ideas. Isn't that the point? We will be studying together, although eventually competing for jobs, the smarter the better!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bunratty
'Intimidating figures'? That is a large part of joining Cambridge for me. I want to be with smart people whom I can learn from and share ideas. Isn't that the point? We will be studying together, although eventually competing for jobs, the smarter the better!

Up to a point, surely? Or would you still feel the same way if everyone else doing your subject were quite literally the Eulers, Heisenbergs, Einsteins, von Neumanns, Leibnizs, Newtons (haha), Diracs, Gausses, Cantors, Riemanns, Noethers, Weierstrasses, Keplers, etc. of your field (whatever it is)?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Up to a point, surely? Or would you still feel the same way if everyone else doing your subject were quite literally the Eulers, Heisenbergs, Einsteins, von Neumanns, Leibnizs, Newtons (haha), Diracs, Gausses, Cantors, Riemanns, Noethers, Weierstrasses, Keplers, etc. of your field (whatever it is)?

Absolutely! I can't think of anything better than to keep such company in any field. Imagine what you could learn, and perhaps even contribute in some small way to discussion and ideas. If I didn't relish the idea of being taught by the best, alongside the best, I would have applied to Southampton Solent!
Original post by vincrows
All colleges have music practice rooms with piano which can be used by any student who needs it.
Some (very few, afaik) colleges have very limited number of rooms in which you can have piano/keyboards, usually at extra cost, so if it's essential to have a piano in your own room, you can try applying for it even in the first year, but if you're not reading Music, possibility of getting is probably not very high.

Yeah the only reason I asked was cos I knew King's had rooms which had pianos. I would love to have one in my room, the practice rooms in King's feels like you're in a underground bunker :lol:
Original post by wolfmoon88
^#priorities

It's a shame, if I started piano a year or two earlier, I might have been able to apply for the music scholarship you kappa
It's a shame, if I started piano a year or two earlier, I might have been able to apply for the music scholarship you kappa

Hey fellow piano player! 🙋 when did you start learning?

Also when I was at Selwyn for interview I ended up talking to this music student who had a grand piano in his room. A grand piano!!! And he said he got offered it because the organ scholar didn't want it! Crazy organ scholar!! :redface:
Original post by Steliata
Hey fellow piano player! 🙋 when did you start learning?

Also when I was at Selwyn for interview I ended up talking to this music student who had a grand piano in his room. A grand piano!!! And he said he got offered it because the organ scholar didn't want it! Crazy organ scholar!! :redface:

Urgh... I think it's been 7 and a half years? I'm meant to be preparing for Grade 8 but I almost never practice anymore :lol: wbu?
Urgh... I think it's been 7 and a half years? I'm meant to be preparing for Grade 8 but I almost never practice anymore :lol: wbu?

Now there's a question... I started in year 2 so 11 years I think? Cor blimey.

I can totally relate with the practising thing though, last year I did my grade 8 and just couldn't find the time to practise so ended up barely scraping a pass lmao, I don't think I'd get very far with the instrumental awards 😂
Original post by Zacken
As per Doonesbury, those groups are just there for people to fill with spam to either trick unsuspecting freshers into buying tickets for events they don't need or annoying them with useless crap. There's an official FB Cambridge group run by CUSU, is it really that hard to just stick with that...?

Yeah I know, the link I shared was posted by the official FB Cambridge group run by the CUSU. Just thought it would be a nice thing to share if people (like me) weren't aware these groups existed :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1656
Original post by tunasushi
Yeah I know, the link I shared was posted by the official FB Cambridge group run by the CUSU.

Can you source that post please.
Original post by Steliata
Now there's a question... I started in year 2 so 11 years I think? Cor blimey.

I can totally relate with the practising thing though, last year I did my grade 8 and just couldn't find the time to practise so ended up barely scraping a pass lmao, I don't think I'd get very far with the instrumental awards 😂

Yeah once you get to like grade 7/8, none of the pieces are really fun anymore, you just have to play them cos you have to :lol:
Yeah once you get to like grade 7/8, none of the pieces are really fun anymore, you just have to play them cos you have to :lol:

Pretty much haha

Although I really liked my grade 7 pieces, they always seem to be more interesting than grade 8. Probably because the exam board isn't under pressure to look traditional like they are with their highest exams 🙈
speaking of pianos... is anybody going for a music award?

Latest

Trending

Trending