The Student Room Group

Failing My Driving tests

I'm a perfectly good driver, efficient, and lessons have become almost boring now because there isn't a great deal to practice. I took my first test and failed with four minors and a serious. Took my second, and i wrecked the whole thing. 3 serious and five minors. I cried, I'm so embarrassed. Now i just worry I'll never pass. How did i do even worse on the second. What if i fail my third too?
It may be that nerves made it worse on the second time. If you're a confident driver, it might have thrown you a bit by failing first time, and so you tried harder the second time which meant putting extra pressure on yourself. Just keep practising as much as you can (if you have your own car, try driving to the shops and parking one night, then on a dual carriageway the next night, etc.) and concentrate on what the minors were. Majors are obviously a big deal but can often be down to nerves.
Hey there!! I'm going through a similar thing. Took my first test at 1:35pm, failed wth 1 dangerous fault and 3 minors. Took my second one today at 2:32pm and failed with 2 serious and 8 minors overall..but my driving is near perfect during lessons.

I've booked my 3rd test for 10:14am. I'm not counting on it but I think with it being at a quieter part of the day will be good for me. It's not like I can't handle busy traffic, but with being under that amount of pressure I think it will help. We will get there!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of the reasons why second tests tend to have more errors than first tests is because the focus of the candidate changes. If you only get a single serious on the first test subconsciously you may think that if you don't do 'that' again, you will pass. So, rather than concentrating on just driving you may concentrate solely on not committing a specific fault and therefore commit all sorts of other faults, hence the higher number and the bigger fail. Redress the balance and you'll pass next time.

My advice? Just drive. Drive what you see. Don't think about not making mistakes because your focus is then on mistakes rather than driving.
Your instructor needs to work with you on this. If your driving is falling apart every time you get nervous then that's dangerous in itself. There are going to be times on the road when you're put under pressure, you can't afford to make dangerous mistakes in such times.
Original post by SomewhereHere
I'm a perfectly good driver, efficient, and lessons have become almost boring now because there isn't a great deal to practice. I took my first test and failed with four minors and a serious. Took my second, and i wrecked the whole thing. 3 serious and five minors. I cried, I'm so embarrassed. Now i just worry I'll never pass. How did i do even worse on the second. What if i fail my third too?

I passed on my 3rd attempt, and I was so relieved. I slowly started giving up on lessons between the 2nd fail and the last attempt because I knew how to drive safely, etc and I was getting frustrated and bored with the lessons. If you haven't already, then maybe do a mock test with your instructor? I did a mock test a week before I passed and I found that boosted my confidence :smile: :redface:!

But don't give up, you'll get there :biggrin: :smile:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending