Oh I remember that I watched it last year :lol:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Oh I remember that I watched it last year :lol:

It made me kind of want to get onto the team but I'm so unfit it's ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayofsunshine98

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd love to do rowing too to be honest, but yeah I have not the best health myself.

Also just put an old DVD on and there's a trailer for The Theory of Everything. I recognise most of the places now... :')
Anyone know what Cambridge is like for amateur astronomy? It's been a passion of mine since *shock horror* before I was ever interested in History and I'd like to get back into it. Although I live in the countryside, there is a lot of light pollution. :frown: I have a really good huge (both in size and expense) telescope in the attic, but I've been thinking of investing in a smaller one that I can take around with me. Or at least to uni :colondollar: there's an actual club at Durham (my insurance) but I guess I'd just like another excuse for a telescope. Ssshh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1984
Anyone know what Cambridge is like for amateur astronomy? It's been a passion of mine since *shock horror* before I was ever interested in History and I'd like to get back into it. Although I live in the countryside, there is a lot of light pollution. :frown: I have a really good huge (both in size and expense) telescope in the attic, but I've been thinking of investing in a smaller one that I can take around with me. Or at least to uni :colondollar: there's an actual club at Durham (my insurance) but I guess I'd just like another excuse for a telescope. Ssshh.

As with everything at Cambridge... there's a society for that
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/astronomy/

:moon:
Original post by Doonesbury
As with everything at Cambridge... there's a society for that
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/astronomy/

:moon:

:bigsmile: History, Astronomy, Star Wars, and Sherlock Holmes, and I'm a happy Mickey!

EDIT: Oh my god they have historic telescopes (of course they do but also omg) my weekend is made right now
(edited 7 years ago)

I'd love to do rowing too to be honest, but yeah I have not the best health myself.

A couple of 6am outings in February will quell that enthusiasm, I can assure you :biggrin:
Original post by Reality Check
A couple of 6am outings in February will quell that enthusiasm, I can assure you :biggrin:

When I went to one of my three visits (don't remember which one) I got talking to someone who wanted to row but gave up because they weren't a morning person :tongue:
When I went to one of my three visits (don't remember which one) I got talking to someone who wanted to row but gave up because they weren't a morning person :tongue:

I just remember cycling over midsummer common thinking 'what the hell am I doing - it's 5.45am...' And it's freezing fog.

Good times :biggrin:
I just remember cycling over midsummer common thinking 'what the hell am I doing - it's 5.45am...' And it's freezing fog.

Oh dear and I think waking up at 7:05am is hard :wink: I don't think I've ever asked but, if you don't mind me asking, what college did you attend?

Wimp......

You should be grateful for global warming.
A member of my family who was a rower in 70's said the first thing you had to do in outings during winter months was breaking the ice on the Cam with your oar handle........
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're not like a regular club with permanent members.
They audition for new crews in summer every year to row for CUBC/CUWBC in a new academic year. All the rowers who are good enough to be accepted have previous rowing experience at quite high level.
And having been a CUBC/CUWBC rower in a previous year doesn't guarantee you'll be in again next year. It's a fresh audition for everyone.

And it's only just before and after the boat race people care about CUBC/CUWBC rowing.
Other times it's all about college rowing (esp. Bumps) which is one of the most popular sports at Cambridge (along with rugby and football) with the largest number of participants. Most of them started as a completely novice rower. So if you're interested in starting rowing, that's the way to go. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
Wimp......

You should be grateful for global warming.
A member of my family who was a rower in 70's said the first thing you had to do in outings during winter months was breaking the ice on the Cam with your oar handle........

:biggrin: Not so much 'catching a crab' as 'catching pneumonia'.
They audition for new crews in summer every year to row for CUBC/CUWBC in a new academic year. All the rowers who are good enough to be accepted have previous rowing experience at quite high level.
And having been a CUBC/CUWBC rower in a previous year doesn't guarantee you'll be in again next year. It's a fresh audition for everyone.

And it's only just before and after the boat race people care about CUBC/CUWBC rowing.
Other times it's all about college rowing (esp. Bumps) which is one of the most popular sports at Cambridge (along with rugby and football) with the largest number of participants. Most of them started as a completely novice rower. So if you're interested in starting rowing, that's the way to go. :wink:

Did you do dev squad then?
:biggrin: Not so much 'catching a crab' as 'catching pneumonia'.

Here's someone who strongly disagrees with you. :tongue:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rowing/39443593

Did you do dev squad then?

Me? Must be joking.
I was very happy with my voluntary position as my daughter's club's private photographer on the towpath! :biggrin:
Here's someone who strongly disagrees with you. :tongue:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rowing/39443593

Me? Must be joking.
I was very happy with my voluntary position as my daughter's club's private photographer on the towpath! :biggrin:

Haha :smile:

I had to wonder why that was a problem for a moment...and then I realised most people don't wake up at 6am like me :lol:
Original post by NeverLucky
I had to wonder why that was a problem for a moment...and then I realised most people don't wake up at 6am like me :lol:

I know! I remember at the time that 6am was entirely ungodly (actually, I suspect 7am was slightly early), but I've had to get up at 5.15am now for many years, and 6am would be positively leisurely. Funny how things change.

Despite the early outings, I'm glad I did row - I've got some very good memories of it, primarily surrounding Boat Club dinner but even 5pm ergs don't seem too bad looking bad (if I don't think too hard about them)
I know! I remember at the time that 6am was entirely ungodly (actually, I suspect 7am was slightly early), but I've had to get up at 5.15am now for many years, and 6am would be positively leisurely. Funny how things change.

Despite the early outings, I'm glad I did row - I've got some very good memories of it, primarily surrounding Boat Club dinner but even 5pm ergs don't seem too bad looking bad (if I don't think too hard about them)

I think 6am is a perfect time to wake up. Enough time to go for a 30 minute run, 10 minutes of meditation, breakfast and then just in time for work at 8 :biggrin:

I've got really good upper arm strength because of crutches I wonder if I'd be able to give it a go 😅

Latest

Trending

Trending