The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Forecast
Some of the 2016 admissions assessment papers are now available (mostly Arts subjects) from the respective course pages on http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses, the other ones to follow shortly I assume.

Awh they've put the ASNaC one up instead of the AMES one :frown: but thank you for the link!
Original post by carpenoctem
I need A*A*A for Cambridge and A*AA for my insurance (that's right I'm an idiot taking a gamble). Every time I get something in the post from my college I get all excited about going to Cambridge, but then it sinks in that it is all to easy for me to end up taking a gap year :frown:

My son doesn't have an insurance because Durham's offer was higher than that of Cambridge and the others were the same as Cambridge. As he already has two A levels taken in years 12 and 13 though, Cambridge only want an A so hopefully he will get it. It just makes him nervous at times knowing that there is no back up plan...
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I need A*A*A for Cambridge too, and AAA for Durham. :colondollar: Ahhh help us

AAA is a good insurance to have. You'll be fine. |Remember an A is only 80%
(not raw marks). Aim for top 5% of exam takers in each subject to secure the A*.
Remember most Cambridge offer holders end up exceeding their offers (and
rejectees such as myself also ). Loads of us up at Durham with 4 A* you know, it's
not so hard, just stay focussed upon your studies.

And this time next year you won't even care about your A levels, they're just the
ticket into university, that's when the real hard work kicks in. :wink: Make sure you stay
healthy over the coming months and take chillout breaks regularly. It's extremely
important to look after yourself and keep everything in perspective.

Take care
According to a friend we might hear around April/May for accommodation because she did for Pembroke college last year, but then again things probably change year by year, and as always are college-dependant.

Many colleges don't ask about accommodation until early/late summer.
Question about essay competitions for offer holders :
Did any offer holders enter the Cambridge essay competitions (especially for history) and if so did winning / being highly commended / just entering help with your application?
Original post by sammychu00
Did any offer holders enter the Cambridge essay competitions (especially for history) and if so did winning / being highly commended / just entering help with your application?

I entered a Corpus one for English Lit (did it on a Japanese novel) and I don't think the fact I entered it would have helped much, but I learned a lot from reading and analysing a piece of Japanese literature which was helpful at interview and in my personal statement. :smile:
Original post by Steliata
I entered a Corpus one for English Lit (did it on a Japanese novel) and I don't think the fact I entered it would have helped much, but I learned a lot from reading and analysing a piece of Japanese literature which was helpful at interview and in my personal statement. :smile:

Thank you for the quick response! I just found out that I didn't place for the Corpus History competition and was wondering if it would have a great affect on my application. I did enjoy writing the essay so I'll mention it in my personal statement
Thank you for the quick response! I just found out that I didn't place for the Corpus History competition and was wondering if it would have a great affect on my application. I did enjoy writing the essay so I'll mention it in my personal statement

I'm a History offer holder and I didn't do any form of essay competition so I wouldn't worry too much :h:
Yes I wanted to look at that section 2! I mean the section 1 i don't actually remember reading those texts except the last one- can't have got more than 50%
Original post by Steliata
Awh they've put the ASNaC one up instead of the AMES one :frown: but thank you for the link!
Original post by 210555
AAA is a good insurance to have. You'll be fine. |Remember an A is only 80%
(not raw marks). Aim for top 5% of exam takers in each subject to secure the A*.
Remember most Cambridge offer holders end up exceeding their offers (and
rejectees such as myself also ). Loads of us up at Durham with 4 A* you know, it's
not so hard, just stay focussed upon your studies.

And this time next year you won't even care about your A levels, they're just the
ticket into university, that's when the real hard work kicks in. :wink: Make sure you stay
healthy over the coming months and take chillout breaks regularly. It's extremely
important to look after yourself and keep everything in perspective.

Take care

Thanks very much :redface: I've done over 16 hours this week (Monday to today). I hope I do meet or exceed my Cam offer but I feel very lucky to have a Durham offer to back me up! It feels pretty fantastic :biggrin: I'm lucky.

I think I'm mainly just worried that I misinterpret a question and blow my chances, something silly like that. I have strong coursework marks (as far as I know) but coursework is only worth 20% :redface:

I know this sounds silly and dumb, I am probably just tired, but how exactly does one aim to be in the top 5% of exam takers?

I know someone who won a competition (not History) but was rejected when she applied. I also know many who didn't win a completion or didn't even entered it but got an offer, so no, it doesn't really matter if you enter/win/lose.

I know this sounds silly and dumb, I am probably just tired, but how exactly does one aim to be in the top 5% of exam takers?

Hi there. There is no magic formula, just have faith in yourself really. I mean this
in the nicest way and this might sound "daft". The biggest barrier can be yourself. If you over analyse/stress, this can be mentally tiring and will affect your
performance. This is why I emphasise the importance of looking after yourself
and getting regular sleep.

A tip for all students taking their exams this year. One of my chemistry modules
last year was truly awful, things on it that weren't in the syllabus etc. I won't write what I said about it as i'll get banned from the forum. :wink:Well I got the A*. Lesson I learnt from this?

You are likely to have a horrible paper at some point. However, if you find it bad
then absolutely so will. everybody else. Just do your best. Sometimes it is the
case of those who make the best of a bad job!! When/If it happens, leave it
behind and forget it. That's why results take so long to come through, the exams are moderated year on year!.

So the moral is look after yourself, yes work hard but take rests as well. You will be absolutely fine. Sorry if I sound like I am preaching to you all. Just some of
you guys on here seem to be unnecessarily doubting yourselves.:smile:

Oh and BTW, this time next year you will have forgotten all about A levels. Far
more likely you'll be sat there thinking "why oh why did I not choose something
easier. Back to revision now:wink::wink::wink:
I've started a blog here that has pictures of pretty(/study) spaces in Cambridge as I visit them, I know you guys like that sort of thing, so: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4649832&page=2#post70936076
5 hours of revision today

First time trying to stick to a proper revision timetable :tongue:

Goal is 33 hours overall in total this week

Usually do 12 hours (locking self in bedroom etc) on one subject for a whole day

Now it says one-two hours per subject

Currently having a two hour break and listening to a few albums

This is probably a healthier way to study and I do hope it works :h:

Wish me luck :lol:

Hope it works out! Meanwhile I've spent the day in bed unable to force myself to do anything because I've just completely lost all motivation. And the worst bit is I have my mocks the week beginning 24th April and I've barely started revising for them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayofsunshine98
Hope it works out! Meanwhile I've spent the day in bed unable to force myself to do anything because I've just completely lost all motivation. And the worst bit is I have my mocks the week beginning 24th April and I've barely started revising for them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll be fine I believe in you!

Sadly, I'm running behind schedule by a few hours, and I don't fancy staying up all night trying to claw those hours back. On target to do 27 accumalative hours, Monday 10th to Sunday 16th. :tongue:
You'll be fine I believe in you!

Sadly, I'm running behind schedule by a few hours, and I don't fancy staying up all night trying to claw those hours back. On target to do 27 accumalative hours, Monday 10th to Sunday 16th. :tongue:

A few hours isn't the end of the world, you'll make it up over the next few weeks. The only thing I've achieved in the last week is that I can now see my bedroom floor again because ive tidied it 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayofsunshine98
A few hours isn't the end of the world, you'll make it up over the next few weeks. The only thing I've achieved in the last week is that I can now see my bedroom floor again because ive tidied it 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :colondollar: I need to hear that sometimes.

To be fair my bedroom floor is currently formed of paper, pens, old flashcards, and crisp packets :colondollar:
Hello guys
How is everyone on this fine evening

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Hello guys
How is everyone on this fine evening

Posted from TSR Mobile

Decent
Not looking forward to the next four days though - library is closed for Easter and there's so many distractions at home (mainly family).

ooooh welll
Original post by Inister
Decent
Not looking forward to the next four days though - library is closed for Easter and there's so many distractions at home (mainly family).

ooooh welll

Cherish ur family.
I bet They are wonderful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending