The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWMTom
If it's under warranty no one in the dealer network should ever have charged you a diagnostic fee!

I wasn't charged. But someone above suggested I take it to somewhere that offers MOT testing for a diagnostic test. And I replied saying I'm not going to pay to have it tested when its under warranty.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Depends on how much you're willing to spend, and do you want it to be 4 wheel drive?

Up to about £17,000, ideally 4x4 or AWD if its going to be an SUV.
I can tell you do not know anything about cars, firstly a Fiat 500 cannot climb up hills due to the ECU limiting the amount of CO2 gas being emitted from the car, resulting in a loss of power meaning that tasks such as climbing up a hill is rendered hard for the car. Watch BBC Watchdog's programme on it, will educate yourself and stop you from recommending their cars.

Being ignorant about the result of Euro 6 restrictions is far from not knowing anything.
The Euro 3 or 4 engines didn't have such problem having even lower nominal power and FIRE Euro 3 and Euro 6 is almost the same engine (the only significant difference is in the cylinder head's shape and ECU software)
Then it appears that the design is not efficient enough to fulfill the Euro 6 regulation without limiting engine's power.
VW was unable to fulfill the regulation as well, but went another way around and ignored it, for this reason they must now pay large fines, but from driver's perspective that is the more practical option. The Euro 6 is simply at the very edge of traditional engine designs.

Furthermore: if you think Fiats are more reliable than VW's or Audi's, then you're in need for some serious help; Fiats are worse than Peugeots, and that's saying something...:rofl:

Surprisingly, the FIRE engine can make to 360 k miles without capital renovation, that is impossible for some VW engines.

That's not the point though, bumpers should be robust, instead of flimsy such as that of the Fiat 500's. Fiat have gone cheap building their cars, and selling for a price way beyond it should be sold for, that's the truth of the matter.

Not necessarily. The plastic part is responsible only for the looks, and for safety of pedestrian, so it should be soft.
The strong part is the tin beam under the plastic cover.
The other thing is correct. Panda II (type 169) was technically the same as the 500, produced in the same factory and it was almost 2x cheaper.

Tbh, I don't believe those failures occurred at 15k milage; however, if they did this is a rare instance and you don't hear much of these faults ever in a VW or other reliable car makes, however, the same cannot be said for Fiats.

Every manufacturer sometimes sells a "bad luck" car, it happens, correct. The point is that most of Fiats are too simple, even to say, too primitive to be unreliable, while VW is far from it's 90ties quality.

I think the best thing for the OP to do is not to listen to you, and to take the car back to a VW dealer or take it to a mechanic; as they'd know what to do.

If this was true, then the car should has already been succesfuly repaired 2 times, and it hasn't.
Mechanics and factory services can be unjust and terribly incompetent, sometimes they can't even screw the wheels on properly.
There are lots of incompetent people in any profession.

Original post by SuperCat007
I wasn't charged. But someone above suggested I take it to somewhere that offers MOT testing for a diagnostic test. And I replied saying I'm not going to pay to have it tested when its under warranty.

Of course you're right on the principles, but I doubt if buying a new car will help you save money more efficiently than a simple test.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by SuperCat007

I think the principle here is take it to ANOTHER dealer rather than the same one.
OP, have you tried looking at forums aimed specifically at your model of car? If there are any particular common faults for that car you'll find them there, and the members will also be more familiar with the car.
Original post by IWMTom
I think the principle here is take it to ANOTHER dealer rather than the same one.

If you read my reply, you'll see it has been to a different dealer. They did something different but it's still making the noise. They told me to monitor it.
Original post by CurlyBen
OP, have you tried looking at forums aimed specifically at your model of car? If there are any particular common faults for that car you'll find them there, and the members will also be more familiar with the car.

Yup, as I said I've done more reading since and it seems to be a Golf suspension thing. I was thinking about changing it towards the end of the year, but I'll probably do it sooner rather than later as VW can't seem to sort the problem.
I realise this is a long shot as this post is a few years old now but I’m having the exact problem with my car at the moment and have been for the last few months! I’ve taken it to the garage 3 times and they’ve done little fixes of things but otherwise don’t know what the issue is and the noise feels louder than ever when I go over bumps now. Did you ever find a fix? Or was it okay?

Latest

Trending

Trending