The Student Room Group

Is a asylum seeker who has travelled through safe an economic migrant

If an asylum seeker who wishes to come to the UK due to fleeing war travels though 15 safe countries are they still a genuine refugee or an economic migrant, I think the later because they have had the chance to settle in different countries and have turned it down.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They are an illegal economic migrant.
Reply 2
This might be difficult for you to wrap your head around, but if someone gets on a plane in Turkey for a flight to London they won't generally be accosted by German border police mid-flight.
Original post by Dez
This might be difficult for you to wrap your head around, but if someone gets on a plane in Turkey for a flight to London they won't generally be accosted by German border police mid-flight.

Let's be sensible and not needlessly cast aspersions on a poster's intelligence, eh? The OP specifically talked about travelling through the intervening countries, not flying over them. I imagine he has the likes of the Calais camp people in mind, who have travelled though an unknown and varied number of countries to get to France, where they are safe and could (and should) claim asylum, but who await a chance to gain access to the UK.

In my view they are not asylum seekers but economic migrants, having ceased to be asylum seekers (if they ever were) at the point they arrive in a safe country but fail to claim asylum.
Reply 4
I remember seeing a article on the BBC about how a group of refugees were settled in Lithuania, but they moved back to Germany because it's a richer country.

My response to that group would be to just send them back to what ever country they came from, as soon you start moving by yourself to richer countries when you are given shelter in poor countries then in my book you are a economic migrant. How ungrateful must you be to do that to the country that has committed to you. It's not easier resettling these migrants, lots of money is spent on various things and resources are spent trying to accommodate them, and you just make a mockery of their hospitality.
The problem with the 'first safe country' rule is that it massively piles the burden onto a handful of countries while others contribute next to nothing.

Greece, Turkey, Italy and others have more refugees than they could ever possibly hope to deal with by themselves, having the burden spread more evenly, officially or otherwise, is surely going to end up being better for everyone involved.
Original post by DarrenWhitehouse
If an asylum seeker who wishes to come to the UK due to fleeing war travels though 15 safe countries are they still a genuine refugee or an economic migrant, I think the later because they have had the chance to settle in different countries and have turned it down.

You are confused. If they have sought asylum then they are an asylum seeker. Its up to the country they seek asylum in to determine their status. Whether they are a refugee or not is determined by whether they can prove they have fled their home country.through fear of persecution and are unable to return. Go and read up on asylum/ refugee law.

Btw you can be both, the important point is the determination.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dez

How can they get on a plane without the correct visa????

I think you will find that is not how the vast vast majority of asylum seekers travel
Original post by Flashing Planet
How can they get on a plane without the correct visa????

I think you will find that is not how the vast vast majority of asylum seekers travel

People can travel on tourist or student visas and then claim asylum at their destination.
Original post by 999tigger
People can travel on tourist or student visas and then claim asylum at their destination.

If they can get tourist or student visas then they are quite obviously coming from stable countries.
Original post by Flashing Planet
If they can get tourist or student visas then they are quite obviously coming from stable countries.

Do you know what the test is for being an asylum seeker> You dont appear to. Go and look it up.

Imagine war came to the UK and you and your family decided to flee. Where would you go?
You are confused. If they have sought asylum then they are an asylum seeker. Its up to the country they seek asylum in to determine their status. Whether they are a refugee or not is determined by whether they can prove they have fled their home country.through fear of persecution and are unable to return. Go and read up on asylum/ refugee law.

Btw you can be both, the important point is the determination.

Yes but if they have travelled through many safe countries we should point blank refuse to take them.
Original post by ByEeek
Imagine war came to the UK and you and your family decided to flee. Where would you go?

i would fight and not run off like a pussy, the syrian people have less bottls then the Italians and thats quite difficult
Yes but if they have travelled through many safe countries we should point blank refuse to take them.

That's not what the law says. It also places an unfair burden on countries neighbouring war zones. If you want to learn something, then go and do some research as to how the rules governing asylum actually work. Until you understand this, then you have zero credibility.
That's not what the law says. It also places an unfair burden on countries neighbouring war zones. If you want to learn something, then go and do some research as to how the rules governing asylum actually work. Until you understand this, then you have zero credibility.

Nothing says that laws can not be changed to make it harder, we have to much scum here as it is- most foreigners are included in this.
Nothing says that laws can not be changed to make it harder, we have to much scum here as it is- most foreigners are included in this.

The rules on asylum are covered by international convention. You would need to withdraw from this and deal with the consequences at the same time. Go and do some research so you start to understand how it works in the real world.

So basically you come across as an ignorant raging xenophobic.
The rules on asylum are covered by international convention. You would need to withdraw from this and deal with the consequences at the same time. Go and do some research so you start to understand how it works in the real world.

So basically you come across as an ignorant raging xenophobic.

So what consequences is there? It's just annoying how these migrants travel through several safe countries in a bid to get here- why do they want to come here, for the benefits and the champagne lifestyle many other countries will not give- So based on that even if they try claiming Asylum we should reject on the basis that they have been in safe countries, Cultural enrichment has done the Swede's, French and the Germans loads of favours (None) Especially the later. I asked for people's opinion not what our immigrant loving laws tell us.Also the big pull to Britain because of the welfare state plays towards economic migrant. Furthermore- Lax rules brought us Abu Qatada in the 90s- a terrorist who had a lush life style funded by us
(edited 7 years ago)
i would fight and not run off like a pussy, the syrian people have less bottls then the Italians and thats quite difficult

So you would abandon you family and kids to play soldiers. I don't think you have any appreciation for what war is.
Original post by ByEeek
So you would abandon you family and kids to play soldiers. I don't think you have any appreciation for what war is.

I have no Kids but i would fight even if i died, at least i would die in dignity .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending