The Student Room Group

Universities with second- and third-year accommodation?

I know that Oxford University and Cambridge University's colleges can provide an almost-guarantee that a student can receive university accommodation for their entire course. I also know that Durham's colleges can provide accommodation for first- and third-year students and some second-year students.

Does anyone else know any other universities that are likely to provide university accommodation for a student's entire course?
York uni, also lets you apply in friendship groups for second/third year.
Reply 2
Southampton does, similar to the post above about York.
Original post by memoriial
York uni, also lets you apply in friendship groups for second/third year.

Original post by TajwarC
Southampton does, similar to the post above about York.

Really? I never knew that. Is it guaranteed or is it limited?
Reply 4
Original post by asmuse123

Not guaranteed but everyone I know (including myself) who applied for halls for second year got their first choice offer. There are also loads of private halls across the city which is good if you want to avoid living in a house. But it's costly
Hello,

Lancaster also offers accommodation for all years, though in second year it's more limited as priority goes to first and third years.

Like the other universities mentioned, you can apply in friendship groups, although since Lancaster has a collegiate system they would need to be in the same college as you.

As far as I know, it's guaranteed - York have a lot of accommodation on-campus, although they say a lot of people find accommodation in the city centre where it's a bit cheaper. It's one of the reasons why I chose it as my firm.
Original post by TajwarC
Not guaranteed but everyone I know (including myself) who applied for halls for second year got their first choice offer. There are also loads of private halls across the city which is good if you want to avoid living in a house. But it's costly

That's a big reason why I want to live in university accommodation; it's cheaper and high-quality. Also, the university is directly responsible, meaning problems can be fixed faster than if I went private. My parents have had problems with private landlords, and I don't want the same things happening to me.
That's a big reason why I want to live in university accommodation; it's cheaper and high-quality. Also, the university is directly responsible, meaning problems can be fixed faster than if I went private. My parents have had problems with private landlords, and I don't want the same things happening to me.

Next best thing is to find a uni where they vet the landlords and individually approve them (also at york and loads of other places).
Original post by memoriial
Next best thing is to find a uni where they vet the landlords and individually approve them (also at york and loads of other places).

I'm still a bit scared, though. I've heard some bad things in the news about students living in private accommodation, i.e. high prices, low quality. I don't want that to happen and university accommodation seems safer.

It's definitely not cheaper to live in halls, at least it isn't here, and I imagine is similar for most other cities. For the best quality rooms/ensuites you'll be paying up to ~6.3k a year whereas in a house you'll spend maybe 5k at worst. It depends on what kind of room you want in halls tbh. I do understand your concern however, which is why I applied to halls but in the end I ended up signing for a house with 3 other people. It's so much cheaper along with the benefit of knowing exactly who I'm going to be living with.
Original post by TajwarC
It's definitely not cheaper to live in halls, at least it isn't here, and I imagine is similar for most other cities. For the best quality rooms/ensuites you'll be paying up to ~6.3k a year whereas in a house you'll spend maybe 5k at worst. It depends on what kind of room you want in halls tbh.

This. Check the week by week cost of halls vs city centre and you'll find it could be a good £20-30 difference a week (obviously depends on what you want and where you are). That's money that could be spent elsewhere, like buying food, or books, or treating yourself.
At Staffordshire University you can also live in student accommodation throughout the stay of your degree, although you have to re-apply each year. :smile:
I know that Oxford University and Cambridge University's colleges can provide an almost-guarantee that a student can receive university accommodation for their entire course. I also know that Durham's colleges can provide accommodation for first- and third-year students and some second-year students.

Does anyone else know any other universities that are likely to provide university accommodation for a student's entire course?

Lancaster offer some for second and third years like a previous poster said. They offer on campus halls and some off campus halls in town. There is priority given to first and third years. My friend had to go on a waiting list for second year, she did eventually get a place. We've both applied for third year with no waiting list for either of us. The halls on campus can be quite expensive, its costing me about £130 per week in rent next year, having gone up slightly each year since I started. The halls in town were roughly about £99 per week last time I looked. It is often cheaper to live in non-uni accommodation, I've only chosen to go back due to being lazy/needing the library for essays/dissertation next year/ I know what I'm getting with campus accommodation.
Original post by AmyTheSwifty
Lancaster offer some for second and third years like a previous poster said. They offer on campus halls and some off campus halls in town. There is priority given to first and third years. My friend had to go on a waiting list for second year, she did eventually get a place. We've both applied for third year with no waiting list for either of us. The halls on campus can be quite expensive, its costing me about £130 per week in rent next year, having gone up slightly each year since I started. The halls in town were roughly about £99 per week last time I looked. It is often cheaper to live in non-uni accommodation, I've only chosen to go back due to being lazy/needing the library for essays/dissertation next year/ I know what I'm getting with campus accommodation.

It's true that en suite accommodation on campus is quite expensive, but the standard rooms (and the standard rooms in town) are only £99.75 a week on a 40 week let. So I'm only paying about 4K for my hall room this year.
Edge Hill from september will have accommodation for 2nd and 3d years
The University of Sheffield offers limited accommodation specifically for what they call "returner (non-first year)" students. It's essentially first come first serve in terms of applications (you need to apply for each year), but they have numerous options available from university owned houses to student halls, either in the central city location or the main student campuses (Endcliff/Ranmoor).

I've stayed in university accommodation for the past three years (the past two years being in the same flat albeit different rooms), and whilst it is a bit more on the expensive side I do very much prefer the convenience of it all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending