The Student Room Group

How are you spending your last day revising for AQA English Literature?

I'm going to through the key themes but it is stressing me out too much :frown:
Reply 1
This is actually funnily enough the only day I actualy spent on revising for literature
Spending my day crying because ik imma fail tomorrow, tryna remember quotes for the characters and ****:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm hanging out on TSR helping people who need it because I feel like I intake information easier if I'm explaining it to someone

I'm a little bit stressed out that I'm not going to remember quotes and just forget everything as I walk into the exam :s-smilie:
Original post by 2421MVincent
I'm hanging out on TSR helping people who need it because I feel like I intake information easier if I'm explaining it to someone

I'm a little bit stressed out that I'm not going to remember quotes and just forget everything as I walk into the exam :s-smilie:

What texts are you studying for Paper 1 and Paper 2? I'm just trying to go over the themes/characters I think will most likely come up
Reply 5
revising for AQA Geography instead :smile:
Original post by shannonhorace16
What texts are you studying for Paper 1 and Paper 2? I'm just trying to go over the themes/characters I think will most likely come up

Romeo and Juliet (that's my most confident one), An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol

Romeo and Juliet, I think Mercutio is pretty likely this year and Gerard and Sheila in an Inspector Calls, for A Christmas Carol I have no bloody idea tbh
Funnily enough this is the only day I'm spending on revision and still I'm procrastinating on TSR.
Romeo and Juliet (that's my most confident one), An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol

Romeo and Juliet, I think Mercutio is pretty likely this year and Gerard and Sheila in an Inspector Calls, for A Christmas Carol I have no bloody idea tbh

Ah perfect, I'm doing the same :smile: I'm hoping conflict comes up for Romeo and Juliet, I would die if Mercutio did though ahh :/ A Christmas Carol I have a feeling the Cratchits will? Then for An Inspector Calls I pray Sheila comes up - it's the text I'm most confident in; it'll bring my mark up on Paper 2 though.

Do you have any tips for any of those texts? Or just writing the essay in general?
Original post by rm.25
revising for AQA Geography instead :smile:

Same!!! What topics u doing?
Reply 10
Original post by ~ Arielle ~
Same!!! What topics u doing?

coastal zone, rocks, restless earth :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Quite a few people are saying that the macbeth question might be on macduff, does anyone have any key quotes for macduff?
Original post by rm.25
coastal zone, rocks, restless earth :s-smilie:

I've got restless earth, water on the land and coastal zone. I have to retype my coastal zone notes coz the file went missing :frown:
Original post by shannonhorace16
Ah perfect, I'm doing the same :smile: I'm hoping conflict comes up for Romeo and Juliet, I would die if Mercutio did though ahh :/ A Christmas Carol I have a feeling the Cratchits will? Then for An Inspector Calls I pray Sheila comes up - it's the text I'm most confident in; it'll bring my mark up on Paper 2 though.

Do you have any tips for any of those texts? Or just writing the essay in general?

Romeo and Juliet

Conflict is a central theme in Romeo and Juliet although maybe focus on not just the physical conflict between the Montagues and Capulets but also the internal conflict of Juliet when she finds out Romeo is a Montague.

"O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" - Juliet asking why Romeo is who he is, a Montague,
"'Tis but thy name that is my enemy: thou art thyself, though not a Montague" Internal conflict is something that is often overlooked but it's valid nonetheless.
"That I must love a loathed enemy."

The conflict between Tybalt and Romeo is a little more obvious, "Boy, this shall not excuse the injuries, That thou hast done me; therefore turn and draw."
This is Tybalt calling on Romeo to duel him however as we know Mercutio steps in and does it for them. They are not fighting out of maliciousness in this duel they are fighting for honour for their houses, unlikely Romeo, who Tybalt has a gut hatred for, more so than his overall hatred of Montagues.

If Mercutio comes up the quote "A plague on both your houses" is most likely going to be used by everyone, however I like to think of it as directed at Romeo rather than both Romeo and Tybalt, as Romeo is of both houses because he is married to Juliet. Romeo therefore is the cause of the bloodshed of Mercutio.

An Inspector Calls

I'm not as confident with An Inspector Calls however Sheila and Gerald are most likely going to come up, most likely about their relationship from the beginning of the play to the end of the play.

At the start of the play they're of course celebrating their engagement however when the truth comes out about his affair with Eva Smith Sheila's tone becomes a lot more sarcastic towards Gerald, referring to him as "You were the wonderful fairy tale prince. You must have adored it Gerald."

Some people may say that Sheila's sarcasm is partly due to the hysteria of what happened previously when she found out she was partly to blame for Eva's death. However I believe she is reacting as is to be expected considering not only Gerald wanted to "Hide it from him" but also from Sheila herself as he denied he had anything to do with Eva Smith.

But the change between a happy engagement to Sheila handing Gerald the ring back is quite drastic and there's definitely more quotes that can be said.

A Christmas Carol

I don't know too much about A Christmas Carol so I'm not going to pretend I do.

As for writing the essays, I'm sure you've heard PEEKEL plenty of times but honestly, it's the easiest way, although try to change the order in which you write it and change your vocabulary for added marks.

P- Point
E - Evidence
E - Explanation (most marks)
K - Key words
L - Link/Context (Historical context is pretty important. For Mercutio and the plague maybe refer to witches and suspiscions from that period of time and gender roles for Sheila and Gerald)

I hope this helps a little bit, sorry I couldn't help with A Christmas Carol I struggle a lot on that one.
Is ANYONE else doing The Curious Incident on Friday?? :curious:
Reply 15
Can't see anybody doing Frankenstein or Much Ado About Nothing :frown::frown:
Romeo and Juliet

Conflict is a central theme in Romeo and Juliet although maybe focus on not just the physical conflict between the Montagues and Capulets but also the internal conflict of Juliet when she finds out Romeo is a Montague.

"O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" - Juliet asking why Romeo is who he is, a Montague,
"'Tis but thy name that is my enemy: thou art thyself, though not a Montague" Internal conflict is something that is often overlooked but it's valid nonetheless.
"That I must love a loathed enemy."

The conflict between Tybalt and Romeo is a little more obvious, "Boy, this shall not excuse the injuries, That thou hast done me; therefore turn and draw."
This is Tybalt calling on Romeo to duel him however as we know Mercutio steps in and does it for them. They are not fighting out of maliciousness in this duel they are fighting for honour for their houses, unlikely Romeo, who Tybalt has a gut hatred for, more so than his overall hatred of Montagues.

If Mercutio comes up the quote "A plague on both your houses" is most likely going to be used by everyone, however I like to think of it as directed at Romeo rather than both Romeo and Tybalt, as Romeo is of both houses because he is married to Juliet. Romeo therefore is the cause of the bloodshed of Mercutio.

An Inspector Calls

I'm not as confident with An Inspector Calls however Sheila and Gerald are most likely going to come up, most likely about their relationship from the beginning of the play to the end of the play.

At the start of the play they're of course celebrating their engagement however when the truth comes out about his affair with Eva Smith Sheila's tone becomes a lot more sarcastic towards Gerald, referring to him as "You were the wonderful fairy tale prince. You must have adored it Gerald."

Some people may say that Sheila's sarcasm is partly due to the hysteria of what happened previously when she found out she was partly to blame for Eva's death. However I believe she is reacting as is to be expected considering not only Gerald wanted to "Hide it from him" but also from Sheila herself as he denied he had anything to do with Eva Smith.

But the change between a happy engagement to Sheila handing Gerald the ring back is quite drastic and there's definitely more quotes that can be said.

A Christmas Carol

I don't know too much about A Christmas Carol so I'm not going to pretend I do.

As for writing the essays, I'm sure you've heard PEEKEL plenty of times but honestly, it's the easiest way, although try to change the order in which you write it and change your vocabulary for added marks.

P- Point
E - Evidence
E - Explanation (most marks)
K - Key words
L - Link/Context (Historical context is pretty important. For Mercutio and the plague maybe refer to witches and suspiscions from that period of time and gender roles for Sheila and Gerald)

I hope this helps a little bit, sorry I couldn't help with A Christmas Carol I struggle a lot on that one.

thank you! I've never thought of "a plague on both your houses" in that way before :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending