The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Me! (Hopefully)

2nd year Paramedic Science student. Been with the NHS ambo service for a while now though.

Really keen on Notts, I've heard good things and think it's my top choice at the moment - location is pretty handy for me to!

Fingers crossed for us - maybe I'll see you on the open day later this year?
Sounds good, yh I like Nottingham a lot too. I went to the open day last year. It was really good.

Fingers crossed, we both get in. Just gotta tackle the gamsat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi, I'm looking at applying for Nottingham too!

Currently studying Biomedical Science and working as a HCA, amongst other things.
Hi guys! I'm in the middle of this year's (2017) application cycle- my Notts interview is on the 13th April. Feel free to ask me any questions!
Original post by puddleduck
Hi guys! I'm in the middle of this year's (2017) application cycle- my Notts interview is on the 13th April. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Oh really, good luck on your application! What did you do to get an interview? Work experience wise, also how did you find the gamsat? Did you come from a science background? Any tips on the gamsat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TOIVI
Hi, I'm looking at applying for Nottingham too!

Currently studying Biomedical Science and working as a HCA, amongst other things.

Nice! Sounds like you'll have a strong application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by do1989
Oh really, good luck on your application! What did you do to get an interview? Work experience wise, also how did you find the gamsat? Did you come from a science background? Any tips on the gamsat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

So to get an interview for the GAMSAT unis, you just need to tick off the minimum academic and work experience requirements, and hit the GAMSAT cut off. I've been tutoring kids with learning difficulties for 3 years, have been volunteering in a hospital for a few hours a week for a couple of months, and have dabbled in some GP paperwork jobs... but really, rather than seeing work experience as something to tick off, see it as a learning experience and try to get as much as possible!

Yep, I came from a science background (BSc biology 2.2 and MSc forensic medical science merit), but the only advantage to coming from a science background is being more familiar with the science for the GAMSAT.

The GAMSAT is a nightmare, whichever way you spin it >< It's just exhausting. Because I tutor kids in English as well as maths and science, I was really well placed for sections 1 and 2 because I teach all the techniques and am aware of the pitfalls.... and have completed tonnes of verbal reasoning and comprehension papers over the years :P I would honestly advise looking at some 11 plus comprehension papers- especially the CEM multiple choice ones- as practice for section 1!

Section 2 is about the structure of your answer just as much as it is about the content. I approached this from a tutoring viewpoint too- I made sure that I included similes, metaphor, hyperbole, rhetorical questions yadda yadda, as well as a clear structure (intro, argument 1, argument 2, personal opinion, conclusion or some variation thereupon :P ). I've no idea if they take all that stuff into consideration, but it worked for me :P

Section 3 is killer. You're already exhausted by that point, but remember that everyone's in the same boat. Revision-wise, sure, get up to speed on the science, but DO NOT underestimate the importance of data interpretation! Graphs, charts, histograms, pie charts, bar charts, scattergrams etc...... revise them all, and learn how to read them! Brush up on your science, too, but much of the time, the answer is hidden somewhere in the question and you've got to Sherlock your way to the right answer :P

Hope that all helps! Any more specific questions, let me know!

For reference:

A levels: ABBB
BSc biology: 2.2
MSc forensic medical sciences: merit
GAMSAT (September 2015): s1: 67, s2: 70, s3: 51, overall 60
GAMSAT (March 2016): s1:70, s2: 72, s3: 79, overall 75

I took the GAMSAT again because I thought I needed a higher score because of my 2.2, but then they changed the requirements. I didn't change my preparation, but really preferred the questions of s3 the second time round, so luck does play into it quite a bit. Remember, all you need to do is hit the cutoffs (this year all under 58 as far as I remember) to get to interview, and then nobody really looks at the GAMSAT again.

Good luck!
Thank you!! That was really helpful. I've been revising for section 3, but I haven't been too sure how to revise for section 1&2. I'm definitely going use those tips. I hope your interview goes well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
For Nottingham, do you think it is enough work experience to have shadowed a GP for 3 weeks, volunteered in a nursing home once a week for 11 months, and shadowed another doctor for a week ? I did St. John Cadets for 6+ years when I was younger (first aid etc.) but think that is from too long ago to count. I also have a part-time job, but that isn’t related to health care.
Reply 10
For Nottingham, do you think it is enough work experience to have shadowed a GP for 3 weeks, volunteered in a nursing home once a week for 11 months, and shadowed another doctor for a week ? I did St. John Cadets for 6+ years when I was younger (first aid etc.) but think that is from too long ago to count. I also have a part-time job, but that isn’t related to health care. Thanks!
Original post by gem-101
For Nottingham, do you think it is enough work experience to have shadowed a GP for 3 weeks, volunteered in a nursing home once a week for 11 months, and shadowed another doctor for a week ? I did St. John Cadets for 6+ years when I was younger (first aid etc.) but think that is from too long ago to count. I also have a part-time job, but that isn’t related to health care. Thanks!

When they send off the work experience form, they want hours, so it would depend exactly how many hours all of that gives you.... but it sounds good to me, haha! Definitely more directly health care related stuff than I had......

But to be honest, I'm really of the opinion that as much experience as possible is great, and that seeing it as a box ticking activity isn't the best mindset to have :smile:
Reply 12
Hi!

Applying for 2018 GEM in Notts too, I'm a nurse (qualified in 2015). Starting my preparation for GAMSAT. What other universities are people applying for?
Hey Esther,

I'm applying to Warwick, St George's and maybe Exeter or Plymouths 5 years. What about u??
Reply 14
Original post by do1989
Hey Esther,

I'm applying to Warwick, St George's and maybe Exeter or Plymouths 5 years. What about u??

My other choices are Liverpool, Newcastle and also Warwick! I know we are early and on the ball, but I feel that I am already losing sleep at night thinking about the process! haha
Hi
i am hoping to apply for Notts 2018 gem program too. I graduated in 2015 with a BSc in human bio and psychology and have been working as a HCA and in a care home :smile:

I'm also applying to Warwick, Birmingham and depending on how well my UKCAT goes either Liverpool or Barts :smile:

PS I live near to Warwick uni so if anyone has any questions about the area etc feel free to ask (i know this is a Notts feed)
Reply 16
Hi all,
I'm going to apply for Nottingham in 2018 plus SGUL, Exeter and Plymouth.
I sat the March GAMSAT so now I'm just hoping to manage enough work experience by then!!
Reply 17
Original post by bsy9
Hi all,
I'm going to apply for Nottingham in 2018 plus SGUL, Exeter and Plymouth.
I sat the March GAMSAT so now I'm just hoping to manage enough work experience by then!!

Almost exactly the same as me! I'm also struggling to get experience, as I work full time (in a non-healthcare job) and it's taking forever for all the DBS checks to go through. How did you do in the gamsat?
Reply 18
Original post by MTL000
Almost exactly the same as me! I'm also struggling to get experience, as I work full time (in a non-healthcare job) and it's taking forever for all the DBS checks to go through. How did you do in the gamsat?

It's a nightmare isn't it! I'm working 80 hours a week in a non-healthcare job but can't afford to give it up financially. Getting work experience on top is a killer (who needs sleep anyway?!). I'm waiting on DBS checks and also pretty nervous that everyone seems to be working as HCAs! I'm hoping I'll have enough.... what are you aiming to do?
I got 72 in the GAMSAT so fingers crossed it's enough to balance out my distinctly mediocre academic record! Have you sat it yet?
Reply 19
Original post by bsy9
It's a nightmare isn't it! I'm working 80 hours a week in a non-healthcare job but can't afford to give it up financially. Getting work experience on top is a killer (who needs sleep anyway?!). I'm waiting on DBS checks and also pretty nervous that everyone seems to be working as HCAs! I'm hoping I'll have enough.... what are you aiming to do?
I got 72 in the GAMSAT so fingers crossed it's enough to balance out my distinctly mediocre academic record! Have you sat it yet?

Wow, with 72 I don't think you'll struggle to get an interview at the least! I say it for the first time in March and got 59 - not great but not awful. Planning on sitting it again in September, as I think the cut offs are likely to go up.

Ha yes, everyone seems to have mountains of experience, and I'm hoping to just fit in a few hours a week in a care home around work (like you, need the money!). Going for the quality over quantity approach! What kind of experience are you trying to get?

Latest

Trending

Trending