The Student Room Group

Speed Camera - No flash but could I still be caught out?

I recently passed my test, and gave people a lift into the city the other day. On the way back I used the motorway for the first time and when I checked my speedo, I saw I was doing 80mph. I obviously slowed down, but I didn't pay much attention to it after that point. This was four days ago. I've now become really paranoid that I could have been caught speeding at any point along my journey. I saw no flashes as I passed speed cameras, but I'm still worried.

If there's no flash (even on a motorway), could I have still been caught?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Were there any limits showing on the cameras? They need to be displaying a speed limit for them to be on.

There's also the comforting fact that most speedometers read ~10% over the speed you're actually doing, to allow for variation in tyre/wheel sizes etc. and you've then got the 10% on the camera.

Most likely you won't get anything come through.
Well some of them use an infrared flash so who knows.

You'll know if you've been caught out by one within the next 10 days.
Original post by annabelle134
I recently passed my test, and gave people a lift into the city the other day. On the way back I used the motorway for the first time and when I checked my speedo, I saw I was doing 80mph. I obviously slowed down, but I didn't pay much attention to it after that point. This was four days ago. I've now become really paranoid that I could have been caught speeding at any point along my journey. I saw no flashes as I passed speed cameras, but I'm still worried.

They usually flash from what I know, but sometimes they don't. I guess you should just wait and see what will happen, but my guess is that you haven't got caught :smile:

Also this should be in 'Cars and Motoring' section

Spoiler

Original post by Tubbz
Were there any limits showing on the cameras? They need to be displaying a speed limit for them to be on.

There's also the comforting fact that most speedometers read ~10% over the speed you're actually doing, to allow for variation in tyre/wheel sizes etc. and you've then got the 10% on the camera.

Most likely you won't get anything come through.

No, there were no limits - I just had in my head the 70mph limit. I'm just really anxious about having an NIP come through because of the 6 point revocation!
Original post by Steljoy
They usually flash from what I know, but sometimes they don't. I guess you should just wait and see what will happen, but my guess is that you haven't got caught :smile:

Also this should be in 'Cars and Motoring' section

Spoiler

Done :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Tubbz

No no no no no! This simply isn't true! The vast majority of motorway cameras when the limit is NSL are on, but at a significantly higher threshold.
Reply 7

Depends on the type of camera, some don't flash now. I wouldn't worry about doing an indicated 80mph on a motorway though, the upper threshold is usually set in the high 90s!
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
No no no no no! This simply isn't true! The vast majority of motorway cameras when the limit is NSL are on, but at a significantly higher threshold.

I have a friend who works for the DfT. I have it on good authority if it's displaying no speed limit, the camera isn't on. It's why they're also capable of displaying a national speed limit sign.
Reply 9
Original post by Tubbz
I have a friend who works for the DfT. I have it on good authority if it's displaying no speed limit, the camera isn't on. It's why they're also capable of displaying a national speed limit sign.

I'm afraid to tell you that the DfT doesn't control whether the cameras are on or not - the local Police force for that area does.

I've seen people be flashed on the M62, and the M1 when no limit was displayed, on a completely empty motorway at 3am. In these situations, they were travelling in excess of 100mph.

The cameras are on most of the time, but set to very very high thresholds, as I stated.
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom
I'm afraid to tell you that the DfT doesn't control whether the cameras are on or not - the local Police force for that area does.

I've seen people be flashed on the M62, and the M1 when no limit was displayed, on a completely empty motorway at 3am. In these situations, they were travelling in excess of 100mph.

The cameras are on most of the time, but set to very very high thresholds, as I stated.

I didn't say they decided whether they were on or not.

If the camera is monitoring speed, there will be a speed limit displayed, whether numerical, or a nation speed limit symbol. If there is no display, the camera will not be active. That is how the cameras are designed.
Reply 11
Original post by Tubbz
I didn't say they decided whether they were on or not.

If the camera is monitoring speed, there will be a speed limit displayed, whether numerical, or a nation speed limit symbol. If there is no display, the camera will not be active. That is how the cameras are designed.

That simply isn't true. When the NSL symbol is displayed, the threshold is much lower. When the display is switched off, the threshold is much much higher. Only a small number of motorway cameras in VSLs are actually off when the display is off.
Reply 12
Original post by IWMTom
That simply isn't true. When the NSL symbol is displayed, the threshold is much lower. When the display is switched off, the threshold is much much higher. Only a small number of motorway cameras in VSLs are actually off when the display is off.

I can tell you categorically that the VSL cameras on the M6 are not active unless there is a speed limit displayed.

I've done a quick dig online, and it seems like it's mainly the M1 and M25 where a few are active in high risk areas.
Reply 13
Original post by Tubbz
I can tell you categorically that the VSL cameras on the M6 are not active unless there is a speed limit displayed.

I've done a quick dig online, and it seems like it's mainly the M1 and M25 where a few are active in high risk areas.

The vast majority of the M1, especially in certain "zero tolerance" force jurisdictions.

M62 too! Plenty of motorways up and down the country with VSLs have cameras switched on at thresholds where the so-called "instant ban" would come into play. Rightly so, too!
Well they have 14 days to issue a notice of intended prosecution (the fancy way of saying send a 'we caught ya' letter), if it arrives after that then they can't prosecute you regardless.

Not all cameras flash. It may have been off, it may have been faulty, neither of these are guaranteed. Sometimes they're off at 5 in the afternoon, sometimes they're on at 3 in the morning.

Did you notice the white lines? If they're weren't any then you may be able to fight it by arguing a miscalibration and therefore a wrongful reading which is why most cameras have them, but fighting it is expensive and worsens the penalty.

Depending on the motorway it might have been an average speed checker camera so may have just registered your plate not your actual speed.

Contrary to advice you can be prosecuted for 1mph over if the police are feeling like particular d!cks (well the CPS) - they just usually don't bother. Whilst your speedo is set usually a few mph above actual speed it depends on the make of the car, and a load of other variables ie a loose pin might mean its showing you a lower speed than you're doing. Most cameras are calibrated to only gun about 10% over but this can be changed at any point. Plenty of convictions for 75mph in a 70 zone about.

For a minor speeding offence you shouldn't lose your license, its 3 points and a few hundred quid or if the judge is feeling generous a speed awareness course. Just make sure you have a part time job and save hard because your insurance is gonna skyrocket if you get charged. Honestly why on earth are you leadfooting just after passing your test? I'm not convinced about your instructor if you don't notice 10mph over for long enough to pass a speed camera - that's basic driving. It's also dangerous, if you hit water or oil you'd spin out and wreck unless you have an excellent innate driving talent, new drivers rarely know how to counteract high speed incidents, its one of the failings of the test.
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
Well they have 14 days to issue a notice of intended prosecution (the fancy way of saying send a 'we caught ya' letter), if it arrives after that then they can't prosecute you regardless.

Not all cameras flash. It may have been off, it may have been faulty, neither of these are guaranteed. Sometimes they're off at 5 in the afternoon, sometimes they're on at 3 in the morning.

Did you notice the white lines? If they're weren't any then you may be able to fight it by arguing a miscalibration and therefore a wrongful reading which is why most cameras have them, but fighting it is expensive and worsens the penalty.

Depending on the motorway it might have been an average speed checker camera so may have just registered your plate not your actual speed.

Contrary to advice you can be prosecuted for 1mph over if the police are feeling like particular d!cks (well the CPS) - they just usually don't bother. Whilst your speedo is set usually a few mph above actual speed it depends on the make of the car, and a load of other variables ie a loose pin might mean its showing you a lower speed than you're doing. Most cameras are calibrated to only gun about 10% over but this can be changed at any point. Plenty of convictions for 75mph in a 70 zone about.

For a minor speeding offence you shouldn't lose your license, its 3 points and a few hundred quid or if the judge is feeling generous a speed awareness course. Just make sure you have a part time job and save hard because your insurance is gonna skyrocket if you get charged. Honestly why on earth are you leadfooting just after passing your test? I'm not convinced about your instructor if you don't notice 10mph over for long enough to pass a speed camera - that's basic driving. It's also dangerous, if you hit water or oil you'd spin out and wreck unless you have an excellent innate driving talent, new drivers rarely know how to counteract high speed incidents, its one of the failings of the test.

I know for sure that I passed two GATSOs - one being an older one and one being one of the newer ones. I just don't know about the motorway, it was the M27. I wasn't exactly gunning it down the motorway. It was just the first time that I looked at it, I saw it reading 80mph so slowed down. Obviously, I'm totally at fault, and I don't think I was going particularly fast on the way into the city on the rest of the journey, but it's just my paranoia I suppose.
On the way back I used the motorway for the first time and when I checked my speedo, I saw I was doing 80mph.

Lesson 1: Be aware of how fast you're going. I personally have no issue with exceeding the speed limit on motorways, when conditions are safe, but you should always be aware of your speed.

I obviously slowed down, but I didn't pay much attention to it after that point. This was four days ago. I've now become really paranoid that I could have been caught speeding at any point along my journey. I saw no flashes as I passed speed cameras, but I'm still worried.

Lesson 2: Be aware of your surroundings, including speed cameras, road signs (IIRC they have to have warning signs withing a certain distance), traffic, hazards etc.

[rant]I hate the level of surveillance in the UK. The US is better (IMO), in that speed cameras are rare (Northern California). The police get to decide if someone is driving poorly based on more than just a number. They do have guns though :frown:[/rant]
Reply 17
I know for sure that I passed two GATSOs - one being an older one and one being one of the newer ones. I just don't know about the motorway, it was the M27. I wasn't exactly gunning it down the motorway. It was just the first time that I looked at it, I saw it reading 80mph so slowed down. Obviously, I'm totally at fault, and I don't think I was going particularly fast on the way into the city on the rest of the journey, but it's just my paranoia I suppose.

Don't worry about doing an indicated 80 on a motorway - the camera won't have caught that.
Attachment not found

Also, does anyone know what type of camera this is? Is it a traffic flow camera or is it a speed camera of some sort?
Reply 19
Attachment not found

Also, does anyone know what type of camera this is? Is it a traffic flow camera or is it a speed camera of some sort?

It's a bog standard ANPR camera that you'll see on nearly every other bridge on major UK roads...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending