The Student Room Group

Going from the pill to the implant and I am bricking it!

I've been on the pill for three and a half years; I've got a perfect schedule, am in complete control of my period and it's all perfect - except for the fact that my sex Drive is completely gone. This is something I've been really worried about for a while now and have decided that because of this (and a few other side effects like mood swings), I'm going to try another method of contraception to see if that makes me feel any better.
I've decided to go on the implant - I'm just worried about the actual thing itself (don't know how I'm going to avoid my mum seeing the massive bruise on my arm). I'm also a bit anxious about the lack of control I'll have on my period. Does anyone have any advice or experiences from doing this before?
Thanks
:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Baileyailey
I've been on the pill for three and a half years; I've got a perfect schedule, am in complete control of my period and it's all perfect - except for the fact that my sex Drive is completely gone. This is something I've been really worried about for a while now and have decided that because of this (and a few other side effects like mood swings), I'm going to try another method of contraception to see if that makes me feel any better.
I've decided to go on the implant - I'm just worried about the actual thing itself (don't know how I'm going to avoid my mum seeing the massive bruise on my arm). I'm also a bit anxious about the lack of control I'll have on my period. Does anyone have any advice or experiences from doing this before?
Thanks
:smile:

The implant is put in at the top of your arm. You could try wearing longer sleeve t shirts, or cover up in a floaty material type top which has longer sleeves so harder to see through, but is cool in this weather. If you're really worried, you might be better waiting a few months when jumpers and cardigans are more appropriate.

But before you do that, have you discussed this decision with anyone? There are different types of pill, so you may find one that is better for you. You could visit a family planning clinic who will be very experienced in which types of contraception is best for all circumstances.
Seconding talking to your GUM clinic about this. You could try a different pill potentially.

I have the implant, personally I wish i hadn't gotten it. It lowered my sex drive a bit and I get weird irregular periods now which are really incredibly annoying. Everyone responds very differently to it, but constant spotting is quite common. It's fiddly to have taken out early too.

Was on the injection before which completely stopped my periods (great!) then had to come off that because you can only be on it for 3 years (due to osteoporosis risks I think). So then I went onto the pill and again that was fine, no periods etc but I was so scared I would forget to take them I wanted something longer term.
I have the implant and it's been great for me (haven't had a period since I started using it - but I am a bit unusual with that). If you wear long sleeves like other people suggested or just say you bumped into something I don't think your mum would question it. I felt a bit unwell after the anaesthetic so don't plan to do anything later on in the day, but it's nothing to worry about. You don't feel a thing and it's over pretty quickly.

If you are unsure about getting the implant then you could try going on the minipill first, which has the same hormones in it as the implant and you take it like the normal pill without the week break. If you like and are used to taking the pill that may be a better option for you!

Quick Reply

Latest