The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeverLucky
Think of all the puns you can have with CHAT as it's name...

:lol: so many punz
Original post by wolfmoon88
:lol: so many punz

I can see it now...

CHAT - Chemistry Admissions Test Section A

Q1-30 are multiple choice questions.

Q1. What does the hydration of ethene produce?

A. Theresa May: The DUP Awakens
B. Donald Trump and the Phantom (Solar Panel) Wall
C. Alcoholism
D. Corbyn and Stalin: The Untold Affair
E. War Among Stars: The Sith's Revenge

Tho...we might have to dumb it down for our friends at Oxford...

Disclaimer: No satire was hurt in the making of this post.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NeverLucky
I can see it now...

CHAT - Chemistry Admissions Test Section A

Q1-30 are multiple choice questions.

Q1. What does the hydration of ethene produce?

A. Theresa May: The DUP Awakens
B. Donald Trump and the Phantom (Solar Panel) Wall
C. Alcoholism
D. Corbyn and Stalin: The Untold Affair
E. War Among Stars: The Sith's Revenge

Tho...we might have to dumb it down for our friends at Oxford...

Disclaimer: No satire was hurt in the making of this post.

:rofl: that is brilliant
Original post by Zacken
Good. Depending on the quality of the cohort (which isn't as strong as last (my) year from what I can see) you should either get into Queens (less likely) or get pooled to some other college (more likely), or, of course not get picked up in the pool at all (less likely).

I am interested to know how you have come to the perception that this year's cohort is not as strong as last year's cohort. What is the evidence?
Original post by RightAngle
I am interested to know how you have come to the perception that this year's cohort is not as strong as last year's cohort. What is the evidence?

They don't have a Zacken

Estimating STEP marks for about 50 offer holders this year - inactive STEP Prep Thread - a train wreck of a Cambridge Maths Offer Holder FB group - haven't heard of many 'big names' coming, we had at least three or more, etc... all lend to my perception that this year is weaker than last year.
Original post by Zacken
Estimating STEP marks for about 50 offer holders this year - inactive STEP Prep Thread - a train wreck of a Cambridge Maths Offer Holder FB group - haven't heard of many 'big names' coming, we had at least three or more, etc... all lend to my perception that this year is weaker than last year.

can't wait to compare degree classifications our cohort vs yours to settle this argument in 3 years ! ! ! 11 !
Reply 3267
Original post by k.russell
can't wait to compare degree classifications our cohort vs yours to settle this argument in 3 years ! ! ! 11 !

You can do it next year and compare Part IA. :wink:

I'll bring popcorn...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

Fair comment, and you may be right. But the fact that this year's cohort doesn't have a Ronaldo or a Messi (of the Maths world!) doesn't necessarily make this cohort less strong in relation to somebody who is on the cusp of making the cut. It all depends on the shape of the distribution curve. The analogy is that I am running a race and I want to get in the top 240. What matters to me is the time I need to run to beat runner number 241. It is irrelevant to me if two or three guys up front are beating world records. Or even if the leading 100 are doing great (who also typically like to participate on social media threads, say!). This year the time of the 240th runner could be faster than last year, despite the fact the first three (or 100) this year are way off world record pace. Sorry for the mixed football and running metaphors, but you get what I mean!
Reply 3269
Fair comment, and you may be right. But the fact that this year's cohort doesn't have a Ronaldo or a Messi (of the Maths world!) doesn't necessarily make this cohort less strong in relation to somebody who is on the cusp of making the cut. It all depends on the shape of the distribution curve. The analogy is that I am running a race and I want to get in the top 240. What matters to me is the time I need to run to beat runner number 241. It is irrelevant to me if two or three guys up front are beating world records. Or even if the leading 100 are doing great (who also typically like to participate on social media threads, say!). This year the time of the 240th runner could be faster than last year, despite the fact the first three (or 100) this year are way off world record pace. Sorry for the mixed football and running metaphors, but you get what I mean!

I suspect @Zacken's point is really more about the 50 or so STEPers in the Prep Thread than the "big names".

But as I said, we won't really know until Class Lists come out next year :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
I suspect @Zacken's point is really more about the 50 or so STEPers in the Prep Thread than the "big names".

But as I said, we won't really know until Class Lists come out next year :smile:

Save me some popcorn :wink:
You can do it next year and compare Part IA. :wink:

I'll bring popcorn...

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Original post by Zacken

U heard of kiseki

Which is about 10% of all Maths offer holders, majority of them not with TSR....... :biggrin:
Reply 3274
Original post by vincrows
Which is about 10% of all Maths offer holders, majority of them not with TSR....... :biggrin:

Yes but still a significant sample.
Yes but still a significant sample.

Maybe. But it's possible there are many on the 90% offer holders who do not take part in STEP discussion at TSR because they don't need help. :wink:

The point is, it's not just sample size but also where the sample was taken matters.
By choosing posters in one particular forum means the sample could be already skewed. We just don't know how those 90% are like.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
Maybe. But it's possible there are many on the 90% offer holders who do not take part in STEP discussion at TSR because they don't need help. :wink:

The point is, it's not just sample size but also where the sample was taken matter
By choosing posters in one particular forum means the sample could be already skewed. We just don't know how those 90% are like.

It's a fairly common view here that our year is uncommonly strong - a view (partly but not reliably) supported by the boundaries on our exams this year. So the chance that next year is even stronger is quite low, a view that isn't supported by what I've seen online and from various STEP events and the like at Cambridge itself.

Alone, none of these factors are reliable. But all bunched up together heavily points at the cohort being average.
Can confrim various other people in other years noting our year is uncommonly strong.
We have alot more IMOers then any other year has ever had, and also have quite a few silver+ people which makes a difference when its like 10+ people.
Original post by physicsmaths
Can confrim various other people in other years noting our year is uncommonly strong.
We have alot more IMOers then any other year has ever had, and also have quite a few silver+ people which makes a difference when its like 10+ people.

And, more importantly, a BNOC.

I'd like to see next year's cohort beat that!
Original post by Mathemagicien
And, more importantly, a BNOC.

I'd like to see next year's cohort beat that!

This is probably a stupid question but what's a BNOC?

Latest

Trending

Trending