The Student Room Group

Access Course Study & Discussion Thread **2017-2018**

***The 2018-2019 thread can be found HERE! :biggrin: ***

Hey everyone,

I thought it might be nice to have a specific thread for people who are studying for Access to HE courses. The A-level students have one, so why can't we? :wink:

I can update this post to include who's studying what, so we can connect to people on similar courses more easily too! Apparently the course can be quite tough, so let's support each other this coming academic year :grouphugs:

Check out the Mature Students 2018 University Applicants thread to discuss university and the applications process.

So, who's starting an Access course this September? :biggrin:

Let me start...
Name: Amelia
Access Pathway: Science (bio, chem and maths)
Hoping to study: Neuroscience

Humanities Students

Spoiler

Education Students

Spoiler

Social Sciences/Studies Students

Spoiler

Science (inc Nursing) Students

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Name: Ally
Access Pathway: Humanities
Degree Goal: Creative Writing with either English Lit or Religion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Name - Sahil
Pathway - English literature. Science
Starting in September - Msc in Psychology (conversion)
Goal - msc degree, than Philosophy :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by BritishBookworm
Name: Ally
Access Pathway: Humanities
Degree Goal: Creative Writing with either English Lit or Religion

Creative writing? That's awesome! Are you writing already, or do you want to go into publishing/editing or something?

Original post by Sahil Bhambri
Name - Sahil
Pathway - English literature. Science
Starting in September - Msc in Psychology (conversion)
Goal - msc degree, than Philosophy :smile:

I'm confused, are you on an access course at the moment then? :redface:
Name : Ellisha
Pathway : Education
Goal: Is to become a Primary school teacher

I started my access course in April through Learndirect, finding it fine so far but the support from tutors in almost non exsistant.
Original post by AmeliaLost

I have done my bachelors in English literature, now i'll pursue for Msc in psych (conversion) in September😅
Reply 6
Original post by Sahil Bhambri
I have done my bachelors in English literature, now i'll pursue for Msc in psych (conversion) in September😅

Ahh okay. I started this thread for people who are studying for Access to HE courses, which are pre-bachelors! :tongue: Postgraduate Support and Postgraduate Applications might have similar threads for your level of study though :h:
Creative writing? That's awesome! Are you writing already, or do you want to go into publishing/editing or something?

I am writing at the moment, one of my biggest dreams to be published but I'm taking two subjects so to help keep my options open. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BritishBookworm
I am writing at the moment, one of my biggest dreams to be published but I'm taking two subjects so to help keep my options open. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's smart, it's a good idea to keep your options open! Speaking of creative writing... I'm trying to debate whether I should take an OU history or creative writing module atm. :teehee: Decisions, decisions!
Name: Eve.
Pathway: Access to Social Studies.
Goal: Child Protection Social Work.

I'm super excited!
Original post by Snufkin
That's smart, it's a good idea to keep your options open! Speaking of creative writing... I'm trying to debate whether I should take an OU history or creative writing module atm. :teehee: Decisions, decisions!

Thank you! My aim was always to do a joint degree. That's a tricky decision, I love both subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hey everyone,

I thought it might be nice to have a specific thread for people who are studying for Access to HE courses. The A-level students have one, so why can't we? :wink:

I can update this post to include who's studying what, so we can connect to people on similar courses more easily too! Apparently the course can be quite tough, so let's support each other this coming academic year :grouphugs:

Check out the Mature Students 2018 University Applicants thread to discuss university and the applications process.

So, who's starting an Access course this September? :biggrin:

Let me start...
Name: Amelia
Access Pathway: Science (bio, chem and maths)
Hoping to study: Neuroscience

Humanities Students

Spoiler

Science Students

Spoiler

Ooo neuroscience! Literally my favourite subject. Doing a Psychology degree at the moment, but hope to do a Masters in Translational Neuroscience after that! BioPsychology by Pinel is a really good book you might want to read in the summer before you start Neuroscience at University (If all goes well!). Core reading for my degree but i really loved it!
Reply 12
Name. Abbey
Pathway: access to animal management
Goal: conservation and zoology work.
Reply 13
I just completed an access course in Business. Honestly, it's been great fun. I loved the aspect of meeting a broad range of different people, getting to know them on a personal level and becoming good friends in the end. I would 100% recommend this course over A-levels and Btecs as it is only a one year course. And if your personal statement is top notch there is no reason why any uni (except oxford and Cambridge) would not offer you a place. I applied for Westminister, Royal Holloway, City University, Reading and Hearts. I firmed Reading (requirement: 30 Distinctions 15 merits) as my main choice and Westminister (requirement: 45 merits) as my insurance. Now that the course has finished, I know for a fact I could have done a littler better than I did. By the end of the course I achieved 15 distinctions and 30 merits which is short of the offer from Reading, but I'm hoping to contact the Uni and finding out if anything can be done. I probably won't be using this website a lot since I'm going abroad for the summer (up until the start of September) - however, if anyone has any questions feel free to pm me and I would be happy to spare a small period to help answer any questions. I remember looking on this forum last year and I feel that this course is becoming more and more common and there will s now a lot more information that is accessible. If you are doing the course, all the best. Remember to not waste your time and use your time effectively (unlike me lol).Ciao 👋
Reply 14
Original post by Ellisha2101
Name : Ellisha
Pathway : Education
Goal: Is to become a Primary school teacher

I started my access course in April through Learndirect, finding it fine so far but the support from tutors in almost non exsistant.

I found that a few years ago and had little support. Decided to go to uni this time. X
Reply 15
Hey guys
Nice idea on the post, it's interesting seeing a few people taking similar courses.

Name: Mark
Access pathway: Science - chem, biology and environmental sci
Hoping to study: Enviro sci or conservation (narrowing down to a specific degree is my current job)

The idea of returning to full time education and the rep for the workload involved seemed daunting at first... now I'm just really looking forward to getting stuck into the course!
Name: Siobhan
Access pathway: Social Sciences
Hoping to study: Social Work

Super excited but also nervous, I really want to do well in my assignments. Has anyone booked any open days yet and will anyone be moving away from home as a mature student? :smile: :smile:
Original post by siobhancait
Name: Siobhan
Access pathway: Social Sciences
Hoping to study: Social Work

Super excited but also nervous, I really want to do well in my assignments. Has anyone booked any open days yet and will anyone be moving away from home as a mature student? :smile: :smile:

Yess I feel the same. I've already been to all my open days! Bristol, KCL and Cardiff. If I don't get into one of those I guess I'll go to offer holder days for other unis :tongue:. I'm moving out, but both Bristol and Cardiff are about an hour away by train so won't be far from my bf who I live with atm; London is more problematic! Where are you looking to study, and have you sorted out your open days? There's a mature student uni applications thread too ^^
Yess I feel the same. I've already been to all my open days! Bristol, KCL and Cardiff. If I don't get into one of those I guess I'll go to offer holder days for other unis :tongue:. I'm moving out, but both Bristol and Cardiff are about an hour away by train so won't be far from my bf who I live with atm; London is more problematic! Where are you looking to study, and have you sorted out your open days? There's a mature student uni applications thread too ^^

Yes, I live in the southwest so have applied to open days at Plymouth, UWE Bristol and Southampton Solent so far, really like the idea of Solent as I could have the opportunity to study abroad for a year! Are you working along side your course?
Original post by siobhancait
Yes, I live in the southwest so have applied to open days at Plymouth, UWE Bristol and Southampton Solent so far, really like the idea of Solent as I could have the opportunity to study abroad for a year! Are you working along side your course?

Awesome!

Not seriously, I'll probably get a little cafe job or something similar just to keep my toe in the "employed" bracket though! I'm in a bit of a luxurious position where I've saved up for the past couple of years whilst deciding whether it was really something I wanted to do, so I have a bit of a nest egg and no dependents :lol: How about you? Studying abroad would be very cool! I thought most unis offered that now; maybe it's different for your course though?

Latest

Trending

Trending