The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
well individual unis might have there own schemes and stuff I've just applied for LSE library membership so lets hop e that works out. otherwise ill just steal one of my friends cards and use it, but i don't want be always doing that as they might need there cards as you normally do and it becomes a hassle. public ones shut really early, weakness.

Yeah I understand. I had to resort to public ones during the Christmas and Easter holidays and genuinely couldn't get much work done

Some of you will be glad to hear that Cambridge can support you in this! My tutor put me on a continuous licence for next year so I can stay in Cambridge outside term time and hopefully get more things done. There are loads of rent bursaries and such that can make up for the extra cost :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3361
Cambridge doesn't take part in the SCONUL scheme so we can't access any Uni library haha

You're ****ed then... public libraries don't have funding to stay open 24x7. :frown:

Maybe petition CUL to improve their access. Looks like they only allow SCONUL academics not students to use CUL. http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/plan-your-visit/admissions/who-can-use

Are you looking for a study space - or actual books?
Original post by Doonesbury
You're ****ed then... public libraries don't have funding to stay open 24x7. :frown:

Maybe petition CUL to improve their access. Looks like they only allow SCONUL academics not students to use CUL. http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/plan-your-visit/admissions/who-can-use

A few of us from Cam wanna revise together in some sort of study space. yeh Cam is the only uni who don't allow anyone else in pretty much haha. SO we are the only ones completely restricted, luckily i took out all relevant books before i left cam
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3363
A few of us from Cam wanna revise together in some sort of study space. yeh Cam is the only uni who don't allow anyone else in pretty much haha. SO we are the only ones completely restricted, luckily i took out all relevant books before i left cam

Maybe https://www.acehotel.com/london based on this it's 24hrs:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/features/free-wifi-and-comfy-seats-londons-best-cafs-to-work-in/
Anyone do the godawful AQA physics paper 3 today
Original post by Doonesbury

I just looked and it says undergrad students from other UK and Ireland universities have reading access during vacations until the SCONUL vacation access scheme - is that the same as what other uni students get?
Sucks how few people are picked up in the summer pool (at least for my subject - like 3 or 4 or something), if I miss my offer slightly and am put in the summer pool, I think it'll be game over. :lol:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Sucks how few people are picked up in the summer pool (at least for my subject - like 3 or 4 or something)

Do you know how many people are put in it? i.e 3 or 4 out of what?
Original post by Zacken
Do you know how many people are put in it? i.e 3 or 4 out of what?

Spoiler

Spoiler

How do you know it sucks? What if it's 4/4 people were picked up from the summer pool? Surely you wouldn't still think that being put in the summer pool is "game over" then? :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
How do you know it sucks? What if it's 4/4 people were picked up from the summer pool? Surely you wouldn't still think that being put in the summer pool is "game over" then? :tongue:

Well, because I'm a pessimist when it comes to academics and an optimist with everything else :tongue: non-qualitative justification.

Spoiler

My understanding is that, previously, approximately one in four were fished from the summer pool (but that this proportion varied greatly depending upon the subject).

However this year, due to the changes around A levels, I suspect the numbers may be different.

I also suspect (but don't know) that some Admissions Tutors may have already changed behaviour, perhaps giving out more offers than has been normal in the recent past.
(edited 6 years ago)
Sucks how few people are picked up in the summer pool (at least for my subject - like 3 or 4 or something), if I miss my offer slightly and am put in the summer pool, I think it'll be game over. :lol:

Good morning all

I received an email today from my AT asking for raw marks to be scanned over to the college on the morning of the 17th in the case of a near miss offer. Anyone had one as well yet ? I'm guessing we will all get one eventually ?

Keep plodding on everyone 🙄☺
Well, because I'm a pessimist when it comes to academics and an optimist with everything else :tongue: non-qualitative justification.

Spoiler

I don't think you're being a pessimist I think you're just being realistic. There are people who have had offers, taken exams and think they are going to Cambridge. Whilst a lot will, some of them may be in for a shock - their futures are in the hands of another human marking their papers. It's a big responsibility in those examiners' hands and we have to hope they get it right. So I think what you have is a sense of self preservation - consider all outcomes/scenarios and you'll never be shocked.
Original post by blazing11
Good morning all

I received an email today from my AT asking for raw marks to be scanned over to the college on the morning of the 17th in the case of a near miss offer. Anyone had one as well yet ? I'm guessing we will all get one eventually ?

Robinson seem to not have a working email system, so I havent heard anything from them and I havent received any post from them.

I don't think you're being a pessimist I think you're just being realistic. There are people who have had offers, taken exams and think they are going to Cambridge. Whilst a lot will, some of them may be in for a shock - their futures are in the hands of another human marking their papers. It's a big responsibility in those examiners' hands and we have to hope they get it right. So I think what you have is a sense of self preservation - consider all outcomes/scenarios and you'll never be shocked.

As a pessimist you will never be disappointed in a result, since you naturally expect the worst result. So at worst results are as expected, at the best you get into Cambridge.
Good morning all

Got this yesterday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good morning all

I didn't but my reference did. I think my college want it by post potentially :redface: Longer waiting :frown:
Anyone get IB results tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayofsunshine98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck (if you are getting results tomorrow).
Reply 3379
Original post by rayofsunshine98

Schools get them today and some will then issue them to pupils today.

Good luck all the IBers!

Latest

Trending

Trending