The Student Room Group

HELP: I can't find anywhere to live!

Hi all!

So, I'm transferring universities from scotland to Manchester and I can't find any properties that will allow me to live there. I have a dog and a cat which makes it difficult enough but everyone wants a home-owning/ 25+ guarantor... which I don't have! I need to move out of my flat in Scotland before the end of July or I won't be able to afford to move. I've contacted my university to ask them for help but as they can't allow pets in halls, there's not much they can do. I've literally enquired about over 200 properties and had 2 viewings but the first one was mouldy and my cat is sick so she couldn't live there and the 2nd (even after telling me my under 25 y/o guarantor would be fine) have said I need a 25+ guarantor. AGH. Help me please!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
your university education or your pets?

which is more important to you? You need to make this decision quickly and then act accordingly.

If it's your university then sell your pets or bring them to a university shelter.

If it's your pets, then don't transfer and stay in scotland.

No sane Landlord is going to want a student with a cat and dog living in their property with no guarantor or nothing. tbh, I'm surprised you've found a place in scotland like that. I was in fallowfield last year, it is very much a landlords market, even the 2 or 3 star properties get plenty of interest from people looking to rent a room, there is just so much people looking!

having a cat, dog, and no guarantor makes you undesirable and high risk.

I wish you good luck, because you'll need it.........
Reply 2
Original post by ANM775
your university education or your pets?

which is more important to you? You need to make this decision quickly and then act accordingly.

If it's your university then sell your pets or bring them to a university shelter.

If it's your pets, then don't transfer and stay in scotland.

No sane Landlord is going to want a student with a cat and dog living in their property with no guarantor or nothing. tbh, I'm surprised you've found a place in scotland like that. I was in fallowfield last year, it is very much a landlords market, even the 2 or 3 star properties get plenty of interest from people looking to rent a room, there is just so much people looking!

having a cat, dog, and no guarantor makes you undesirable and high risk.

I wish you good luck, because you'll need it.........

I have to transfer due to family issues. My cat has cancer and is going to be dead in a few months so I'm hardly going to sell her and my dog has kept me sane whilst the rest of my life fell apart (hence the uni transfer) so I'm not going to sell her either.
I have a guarantor with a good credit score working full-time, they're just not a home-owner or over 25. I've been paying my rent every month on time (and a higher rent than I would be paying in manchester might I add) for the past 18 months. Surely with some sort of guarantor plus my history must be mean something. I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the direction of private landlords as its letting agents that seem to have these issues. -- I appreciate that you were trying to be logical in this reply but do you really think I haven't thought about these choices. I wanted something helpful. Thank you for wishing me luck, I know I'll need it.
Reply 3
Original post by Hanskenobi
I have to transfer due to family issues. My cat has cancer and is going to be dead in a few months so I'm hardly going to sell her and my dog has kept me sane whilst the rest of my life fell apart (hence the uni transfer) so I'm not going to sell her either.
I have a guarantor with a good credit score working full-time, they're just not a home-owner or over 25. I've been paying my rent every month on time (and a higher rent than I would be paying in manchester might I add) for the past 18 months. Surely with some sort of guarantor plus my history must be mean something. I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the direction of private landlords as its letting agents that seem to have these issues. -- I appreciate that you were trying to be logical in this reply but do you really think I haven't thought about these choices. I wanted something helpful. Thank you for wishing me luck, I know I'll need it.

spareroom.co.uk has a reasonable amount of private landlords, I got my place through there ...and didn't even need a reference or anything. Wasn't asked to provide any proof of income either, was just asked what I did for living on the form.

I don't think the guy was accepting pets though [no one else living there had one]

it might be worth trying spareroom if you haven't already, as perhaps there are a few which allow pets........
Hi all!

So, I'm transferring universities from scotland to Manchester and I can't find any properties that will allow me to live there. I have a dog and a cat which makes it difficult enough but everyone wants a home-owning/ 25+ guarantor... which I don't have! I need to move out of my flat in Scotland before the end of July or I won't be able to afford to move. I've contacted my university to ask them for help but as they can't allow pets in halls, there's not much they can do. I've literally enquired about over 200 properties and had 2 viewings but the first one was mouldy and my cat is sick so she couldn't live there and the 2nd (even after telling me my under 25 y/o guarantor would be fine) have said I need a 25+ guarantor. AGH. Help me please!!

As a landlord myself I wouldn't want pets in my property. But I understand your dilemma. Your cat could live in a mouldy place. Your cat though wIill stick her leg in the air and lick her bum. This is what cats do. You are placing too much emphasis on your cat.

Move into the mouldy place and get landlord to fix the mould. This is what landlords do . And stop being so precious
Reply 5
Thank you, I appreciate it
Reply 6
Original post by squeakysquirrel
As a landlord myself I wouldn't want pets in my property. But I understand your dilemma. Your cat could live in a mouldy place. Your cat though wIill stick her leg in the air and lick her bum. This is what cats do. You are placing too much emphasis on your cat.

Move into the mouldy place and get landlord to fix the mould. This is what landlords do . And stop being so precious

My cats immune system is shot and mould could kill her but OK. Also, if the mould is treated is could easily come back as that's what mould does and I dont particularly want to live somewhere mouldy. Nor do I want to pay £100+ for the application if I could find somewhere else first, which is what I'm currently trying to do. Strangely enough, you can stick your opinion about my 'preciousness' up your arse. Have a nice life
Reply 7
Original post by ANM775
spareroom.co.uk has a reasonable amount of private landlords, I got my place through there ...and didn't even need a reference or anything. Wasn't asked to provide any proof of income either, was just asked what I did for living on the form.

I don't think the guy was accepting pets though [no one else living there had one]

it might be worth trying spareroom if you haven't already, as perhaps there are a few which allow pets........

I've tried spare room and gumtree because I thought that might be the best place to find private landlords but most of them are roomshares. Thank you though!
Reply 9
I've tried spare room and gumtree because I thought that might be the best place to find private landlords but most of them are roomshares. Thank you though!

are you only looking for a one bedroom flat then?
Reply 10
Original post by ANM775
are you only looking for a one bedroom flat then?

studios, 1 or 2 bed flats
Reply 11
studios, 1 or 2 bed flats

this is the only place in manchester that meets your requirements

https://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/flatshare_detail.pl?flatshare_id=8258896&search_id=506203615&city_id=&flatshare_type=offered&search_results=%2Fflatshare%2F%3Fsearch_id%3D506203615%26&

I'm sorry, but I really feel you are going to need to compromise on something......

If you won't give up the pets, your next best option is going for a flatshare which allows pets.
Reply 12
Original post by ANM775
this is the only place in manchester that meets your requirements

https://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/flatshare_detail.pl?flatshare_id=8258896&search_id=506203615&city_id=&flatshare_type=offered&search_results=%2Fflatshare%2F%3Fsearch_id%3D506203615%26&

I'm sorry, but I really feel you are going to need to compromise on something......

If you won't give up the pets, your next best option is going for a flatshare which allows pets.

Flatshares very rarely allow pets because you're living with strangers. I really appreciate you taking the time to search for me but I think I'm going to have to figure something out
My cats immune system is shot and mould could kill her but OK. Also, if the mould is treated is could easily come back as that's what mould does and I dont particularly want to live somewhere mouldy. Nor do I want to pay £100+ for the application if I could find somewhere else first, which is what I'm currently trying to do. Strangely enough, you can stick your opinion about my 'preciousness' up your arse. Have a nice life

And with that attitude you are going to struggle - the cat - you said yourself - will be dead soon. Mould will not kill her and you can get the landlord to sort it out - THAT IS WHAT LANDLORDS HAVE TO DO.

I have just had a look on spare room myself and there are loads of places - again you are being too precious.

Your choices are limited by your lifestyle, pets etc so...

1. Stay in Scotland
2. Moan about things on Student Room - I want this , I want that, I can't do this, cat... mould.... poor me etc
3. Or take what is offered and when you get there be proactive.

I am not trying to be offensive, I am merely trying to point out that you have made choices in life and you are expecting everybody to bend to these choices and that is not how life works.
Reply 14
And with that attitude you are going to struggle - the cat - you said yourself - will be dead soon. Mould will not kill her and you can get the landlord to sort it out - THAT IS WHAT LANDLORDS HAVE TO DO.

I have just had a look on spare room myself and there are loads of places - again you are being too precious.

Your choices are limited by your lifestyle, pets etc so...

1. Stay in Scotland
2. Moan about things on Student Room - I want this , I want that, I can't do this, cat... mould.... poor me etc
3. Or take what is offered and when you get there be proactive.

I am not trying to be offensive, I am merely trying to point out that you have made choices in life and you are expecting everybody to bend to these choices and that is not how life works.

I am trying to make the best out of a bad situation. My attitude was negative towards you because you've decided that I can't find somewhere to live because I am fussy. This is definitely not the case. I have applied for viewings in over 200 places on spareroom/ zoopla/ rightmove/ gumtree and others and managed to get just 2 viewings out of it. Like I have already said if the moudly place is my last option then obviously I will apply for it but until then I am going to continue looking and I thought people on here may be able to offer insights into websites or private landlords that I would otherwise have missed. It's a shot in the dark but I may as well try it. Like I have said in a previous reply I cannot stay in Scotland due to family circumstance. Yes I made choices in my life that have made it more difficult for me down the line but I am not and never have suggested that I want anybody to bend anything for me. Again, I am merely using the tools at my disposal to find alternative solutions. Thank you for your contribution to my post but, despite your intentions of not being offensive, I found it to be so. So again, have a nice day
I can't help in any way - I've never even been to UK, but I wanted to wish you good luck with your search. I don't understand why people are being mean to you. I do not think there is anything unreasonable about looking for a pet friendly home regardless of the reasons you're moving.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by psuspark
I can't help in any way - I've never even been to UK, but I wanted to wish you good luck with your search. I don't understand why people are being mean to you. I do not think there is anything unreasonable about looking for a pet friendly home regardless of the reasons you're moving.

Thank you. I don't understand it either but oh well!
Thank you. I don't understand it either but oh well!

One last time. I am not being mean. I am being realistic. I am a landlord. I have a flat in London. I imagine Manchester is similar. In a couple of weeks landlords are going to be inundated with potential tenants. I can literally pick and choose.
I
I will not take students with pets.

My advice to you is do a house share. Many people love pets and will welcome yours. You only need to be there for 6 months but don't say that to any landlord.
Reply 18
One last time. I am not being mean. I am being realistic. I am a landlord. I have a flat in London. I imagine Manchester is similar. In a couple of weeks landlords are going to be inundated with potential tenants. I can literally pick and choose.
I
I will not take students with pets.

My advice to you is do a house share. Many people love pets and will welcome yours. You only need to be there for 6 months but don't say that to any landlord.

The point you made was not mean but the way you said it was. There was no reason to say I was being precious for asking for help. I have enquired about flatshares but as I've said before, most do not allow pets. I am going to continue to search for anything that will consider me including flatshares. I asked on here for recommendations, not to be told what I already know. It's a harsh rental market out here but you'd think Manchester, the largest student city in europe, may be a bit more lenient about students
Reply 19
The point you made was not mean but the way you said it was. There was no reason to say I was being precious for asking for help. I have enquired about flatshares but as I've said before, most do not allow pets. I am going to continue to search for anything that will consider me including flatshares. I asked on here for recommendations, not to be told what I already know. It's a harsh rental market out here but you'd think Manchester, the largest student city in europe, may be a bit more lenient about students

the first roomshare that I linked to in this topic considers pets,

there are about 100 more like that in Manchester also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending