The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Socratesfam
Christ, all this talk of Star Wars, Harry Potter and Pokemon makes me wonder if I spoke too soon when I said we're not all stereotypical nerds. I didn't envisage the brightest young minds in the country being so enamoured of this infantile stuff. I mean I'm partial to some star wars but Pokemon???

I only play the video games now mind, and I know a few others on this thread do. :lol: I don't really think its "infantile", just a bit of harmless fun. It's not like I'm gonna play them at uni or anything, but I don't think there is anything wrong with playing Pokemon when you're above the age of eleven.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I only play the video games now mind, and I know a few others on this thread do. :lol: I don't really think its "infantile", just a bit of harmless fun. It's not like I'm gonna play them at uni or anything, but I don't think there is anything wrong with playing Pokemon when you're above the age of eleven.
You're a historian - I'm sure you're well aware people have done more harmful things for recreation in the past (cough cough Romans). I'm not condemning it or anything - I just don't want to feel like I'm back in Year Nine when I hit up the JCR!
You're a historian - I'm sure you're well aware people have done more harmful things for recreation in the past (cough cough Romans). I'm not condemning it or anything - I just don't want to feel like I'm back in Year Nine when I hit up the JCR!

Yeah, I am haha. No, I'm sure you won't. I'm not gonna bring my DS or something to uni. I haven't even touched it since the Christmas holidays, I was just defending myself. My interests are still very nerdy but only when you get to know me or chat to me on TSR where I just don't give a cr*p about someone over the internet thinking I'm a huge nerd. I keep my nerdy stuff to myself, except where history, philosophy, politics, etc etc is concerned.
(edited 6 years ago)
Nothing wrong with being into nerdy ****. Nobody has any reason to judge others for the things they enjoy for no reason other than they aren't the things most people are into.

I'd argue the more juvenile thing to do is ridicule someone for their interests, rather than enjoying so called "nerdy" activities
Original post by liziepie
I'd argue the more juvenile thing to do is ridicule someone for their interests, rather than enjoying so called "nerdy" activities

You see the irony in rebuking me for my interest in commenting on things in a fairly benign wa, in your much more critical way. How juvenile. Relax, you'll live longer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Christ, all this talk of Star Wars, Harry Potter and Pokemon makes me wonder if I spoke too soon when I said we're not all stereotypical nerds. I didn't envisage the brightest young minds in the country being so enamoured of this infantile stuff. I mean I'm partial to some star wars but Pokemon???

I'd say that ranking universities in 'descending order of worth/greatness' is a pretty infantile thing to do.
Reply 3507
I'm not condemning it or anything

Actually you are.

ur going cambridge, u should try get used to a few nerds theres gna be plenty in cam
Original post by Doonesbury
Actually you are.

Don't be such a literal, stereotypically fastidious mod. I was deriding it light heartedly, not condemning it.

And as for the person who went through the effort of combing my post history, does that mean the times, the guardian and every other respected magazine that publishes uni rankings is juvenile. Such haste to give out to me. Such faux outrage at a harmless comment. Truly the definition of infantile.
Reply 3510
Don't be such a literal, stereotypically fastidious mod. I was deriding it light heartedly, not condemning it.

And as for the person who went through the effort of combing my post history, does that mean the times, the guardian and every other respected magazine that publishes uni rankings is juvenile. Such haste to give out to me. Such faux outrage at a harmless comment. Truly the definition of infantile.

Well you're certainly doing a good job of winning friends and influencing people.

I wasn't referring to ranking of universities in itself, more your use of the term 'worth/greatness'.
Well you're certainly doing a good job of winning friends and influencing people.

*insert recommendation to read 'How to Win Friends and Influence People'* :lol:

The infamous brand of unfunny Tsr humour. If your comment wasn't meant to be droll, I assume you have no intention of befriending or influencing anyone fragile minded enough to take offence at the suggestion playing Pokemon at 18 is nerdy. I'll leave now because I can see the hive mind is buzzing with righteousness indignation and lame putdowns.
Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3515
I'll leave now

Probably for the best.

But I do hope you manage to enjoy your time at Cambridge.
Reply 3516
Original post by NeverLucky
*insert recommendation to read 'How to Win Friends and Influence People'* :lol:

Hmmm, I seem to recall its first principle: Don't criticize, condemn, or complain.
Probably for the best.

But I do hope you manage to enjoy your time at Cambridge.

I shall. I hope you enjoy continued success as a moderator of a great thread. I thoroughly enjoyed it until I participated.
All the best.
Reply 3518
I thoroughly enjoyed it until I participated.

I do hope that problem isn't a regular feature of your life.

Cheerio.
Hmmm, I seem to recall its first principle: Don't criticize, condemn, or complain.

It does. Which is where I put Carnegie down; it's a rather hollow friendship if you can't express your true feelings. Much more a trump aide relationship than platonic friendship.

Latest

Trending

Trending