The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Benedict1990
Hi

I'm due to start an Access to HE Science course this September, hoping to get the grades to progress onto a Mining Engineering degree at Tremough, Cornwall. I'm 27 and in the process of leaving my marketing job - I work with great people, earning a great salary, but don't think I can see myself doing it happily 10 years down the line as it's not my main interest. So all in all, a bit of a leap of faith!

Oh huge kudos!
I haven't had to give up anything to go to uni in September and it's still been a leap of faith (might actually turn out to be rubbish at writing stories :frown: ) so I really take my hat off to you.
The only real regret you'll have will be if, in 10 years time, you haven't tried to follow your dreams. Good luck!
Original post by Philip-flop
That's amazing!! So much respect for you. I'm considering doing a Science Access course too! It's difficult taking that leap though especially as I'm in a very loving relationship. I'm trying so hard to weigh up my options :frown:

It's a really difficult choice - I'm in a similar situation with my girlfriend, we've been together for around 12 years now, she's been really supportive. We won't be on a steady income, and it's put on hold our plans for a house and kids etc for a few years, but you've got to think about it long term. My other half would rather that we don't have much money for the next few years (we'll manage...just) but at the end of it, we'll be better off, and be in a more comfortable position, financially and job satisfaction wise.
Original post by Haresleap
Oh huge kudos!
I haven't had to give up anything to go to uni in September and it's still been a leap of faith (might actually turn out to be rubbish at writing stories :frown: ) so I really take my hat off to you.
The only real regret you'll have will be if, in 10 years time, you haven't tried to follow your dreams. Good luck!

Absolutely, I think it's important to remember why you're doing it in the first place - the years will pass either way, and I'd rather be spending that time learning a new skill and with the potential to get a job in a field that motivates me. Best of luck to you too!
It's a really difficult choice - I'm in a similar situation with my girlfriend, we've been together for around 12 years now, she's been really supportive. We won't be on a steady income, and it's put on hold our plans for a house and kids etc for a few years, but you've got to think about it long term. My other half would rather that we don't have much money for the next few years (we'll manage...just) but at the end of it, we'll be better off, and be in a more comfortable position, financially and job satisfaction wise.

Oh wow, so you and your partner have been together since you were 15? So much respect to see such a committed relationship! Are you hoping to study at Tremough University in Cornwall because it is local to you or are you having to move away?

Any relationship advice on this kind of situation would also be appreciated. I haven't yet discussed with my partner that I am considering an Access course followed by University as I'm not sure she would be happy postponing plans to buy a house and have kids etc.
Oh wow, so you and your partner have been together since you were 15? So much respect to see such a committed relationship! Are you hoping to study at Tremough University in Cornwall because it is local to you or are you having to move away?

Any relationship advice on this kind of situation would also be appreciated. I haven't yet discussed with my partner that I am considering an Access course followed by University as I'm not sure she would be happy postponing plans to buy a house and have kids etc.

Yep, surprisingly she's put up with me since school!
Tremough University is literally a 5 minute drive from where I live. Lots of family and friends in the area, and recently converted a barn out of my savings, so living mortgage and rent free is a massive bonus too, hence why now seemed like the time to go for it.

I would definitely suggest talking through it with your partner - I explained all the benefits to going back to education, and everything that we could gain by it for sacrificing a few years of financial stability, and setting back plans for house and kids etc is a small price to pay in the grander scheme of things; 27 is still comparitively young, and we would both benefit from having kids and mortgage commitments once we're in a better position a few years down the line. She would definitely rather have me in a job that I was happy in, rather than putting up with me moaning when I come back from work!
Yep, surprisingly she's put up with me since school!
Tremough University is literally a 5 minute drive from where I live. Lots of family and friends in the area, and recently converted a barn out of my savings, so living mortgage and rent free is a massive bonus too, hence why now seemed like the time to go for it.

I would definitely suggest talking through it with your partner - I explained all the benefits to going back to education, and everything that we could gain by it for sacrificing a few years of financial stability, and setting back plans for house and kids etc is a small price to pay in the grander scheme of things; 27 is still comparitively young, and we would both benefit from having kids and mortgage commitments once we're in a better position a few years down the line. She would definitely rather have me in a job that I was happy in, rather than putting up with me moaning when I come back from work!

Yeah that's true. Living your life stuck in a career will eventually take it's toll and you might end up resenting those around you too! Glad things are working out for you two! :smile:
That's amazing!! So much respect for you. I'm considering doing a Science Access course too! It's difficult taking that leap though especially as I'm in a very loving relationship. I'm trying so hard to weigh up my options :frown:

I thought you just took your A-level exams? :confused:
Original post by AmeliaLost
I thought you just took your A-level exams? :confused:

I did, but like a few people on here I flopped on two Maths modules (C3 and S2). Besides, I was only self-teaching 2 A-levels which is why I'm considering an Access course.

Are you still going to do A-levels?
I did, but like a few people on here I flopped on two Maths modules (C3 and S2). Besides, I was only self-teaching 2 A-levels which is why I'm considering an Access course.

Are you still going to do A-levels?

Ahh that sucks about the modules. That makes sense though.

No, my college closed their sixth form at the eleventh hour, there's nowhere locally I could take the practical components and for various reasons I can't move. So, starting an Access to Science course in September instead. It's not the end of the world. Means I can't apply to Cambridge anymore though T_T
Ahh that sucks about the modules. That makes sense though.

No, my college closed their sixth form at the eleventh hour, there's nowhere locally I could take the practical components and for various reasons I can't move. So, starting an Access to Science course in September instead. It's not the end of the world. Means I can't apply to Cambridge anymore though T_T

Tbh I'm still weighing up my options as to whether I'm just being crazy wanting to go to University!
Tbh I'm still weighing up my options as to whether I'm just being crazy wanting to go to University!

Haha, I can't help you there; I'm in the oddly enviable position of not wanting kids and not particularly minding where I live, same goes for my boyfriend, so I have no major ties. Only reason I can't move right now is due to lack of income (boyfriend is basically subsidising me as he owns his place), which won't apply when I'm at uni...

I'm just sort of ambling into the abyss right now 😂
(edited 6 years ago)
Haha, I can't help you there; I'm in the oddly enviable position of not wanting kids and not particularly minding where I live, same goes for my boyfriend, so I have no major ties. Only reason I can't move right now is due to lack of income (boyfriend is basically subsidising me as he owns his place), which won't apply when I'm at uni...

I'm just sort of ambling into the abyss right now 😂

Oh really? You don't ever want to have kids? Also, do you not want to live near your boyfriend when you go to University? What is it you're hoping to study btw?
Oh really? You don't ever want to have kids? Also, do you not want to live near your boyfriend when you go to University? What is it you're hoping to study btw?

Nah, not interested in the slightest.

A couple of the unis I've been eyeing up are only an hour or so away, which could be good. Might even be able to move back in with him ft and commute in third year if I wanted to etc. My furthest choice that I actually -want- to go to would be 2-3 hours away, which is a bit painful to think about, yeah. Ultimately though if the course is better then the course is better! 3 academic years of suffering relationship-wise with far better prospects at the end of it all is preferable to trying to go halves and ending up with a middling outcome... He's supportive of it all, but I was already thinking and planning this all out when we met a couple of years ago so it's not like it's a big surprise for him either. If he wasn't supportive we wouldn't have gotten together! :tongue:

I'm hoping to study Neuroscience, and go in to research eventually. So, many many more years of studying ahead for me! What are you thinking of studying? I just realised I don't actually know, despite having spoken to you a fair bit!
Wishing you all lots of luck!

I'm starting an access course in social care & social sciences in September and hope to go on to do Childhood Studies at Manchester Metropolitan.

I'm 39 and have 3 children (14, 10 and almost 5!!). The youngest starts full time school in September so I feel it's my turn to do something for myself now. I've been a full time mum for 12 years and I'm so nervous about going back to college after such a long time (19 years since I did my BTEC in childhood studies!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to give a bit of encouragement to anyone starting or thinking of starting an Access course, if I can do it you can too :-)

I'm 52, married, with 2 children. Last August I suddenly realised that one son would be starting at uni and the other would be starting his placement year in America and that I would be left at home. In an attempt to keep me sane the eldest son persuaded me to apply for an Access Bioscience course at our local college; I was super surprised when they accepted me as I haven't been in education for 35 years!. I was very nervous about starting the course because I knew that I would be by far the oldest (old enough to be everyone's mum or even grandma), but they were all lovely and we're the best of friends now.

I thought that just finishing the course and aiming for 45 distinctions would be enough for me but seeing my classmates getting offers from uni's made me wonder whether I should apply. I also realised that I would be in the same position this September as last. So, I applied late to two uni's and got offers from both, I've firmed Bristol University and have met my entry requirements so should be going in September. I'll travel up on a Monday and come home on a Friday. I am very scared, getting older doesn't make this stuff any easier, it's perhaps just a little easier to admit to it. I can't believe how far I've come in a year or how much I've learned, it's been brilliant.
Go for it people, you can do it if you work hard xx
Hi Guys... You are all babies no disrespect.. I am 59 and just finished my LLB... Follow your dream and remember age is just a number... Do not let people tell you .. that you are too old.. I wish all of you the best of luck and continue living the dream... I will do the required qualifications to become a barrister and practice out of England..
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Just to give a bit of encouragement to anyone starting or thinking of starting an Access course, if I can do it you can too :-)

I'm 52, married, with 2 children. Last August I suddenly realised that one son would be starting at uni and the other would be starting his placement year in America and that I would be left at home. In an attempt to keep me sane the eldest son persuaded me to apply for an Access Bioscience course at our local college; I was super surprised when they accepted me as I haven't been in education for 35 years!. I was very nervous about starting the course because I knew that I would be by far the oldest (old enough to be everyone's mum or even grandma), but they were all lovely and we're the best of friends now.

I thought that just finishing the course and aiming for 45 distinctions would be enough for me but seeing my classmates getting offers from uni's made me wonder whether I should apply. I also realised that I would be in the same position this September as last. So, I applied late to two uni's and got offers from both, I've firmed Bristol University and have met my entry requirements so should be going in September. I'll travel up on a Monday and come home on a Friday. I am very scared, getting older doesn't make this stuff any easier, it's perhaps just a little easier to admit to it. I can't believe how far I've come in a year or how much I've learned, it's been brilliant.
Go for it people, you can do it if you work hard xx

That's incredible! What course will you be studying at university?
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2

Congratulations! What will you study? How did you decide what university course you want to do?
For all those already at uni, how are you finding the assignments?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending