The Student Room Group

Political correctness-is it going too far?

Hi, I'm doing this thread just because I'm curious what do you think. I don't want to start a fight or insult anyone so please, be also kind and write what you think without unnecessary fuss.

I'm from the right-wing oriented country and I'm curious how political correctness is doing in UK. I've heard many extreme stories-some people say ''right now if you are Muslim you have no calm and people may insult you without a reason''. At the other hand some people tell me: ''British people are so sick with their political correctness. When Manchester attack occured they were focusing more on ''regular'' Muslims and how the attack will affect them while they should start doing something with illegal refugees''.

In my opinion political correctness is not sane anymore. It was okay, when it was only about respect to each other, but right now I can't even say that I don't want to live in muslim borough in London (like Tower Hamlets) cause people assuming that I'm racist and I have something toward Muslims. Without any insulting, you are weird and you have ''wrong'' views just because you don't want to live in specific borough lol. xD
I don't like how Muslims are perceived by the world either, it reminds me Jews' situation before World War-so here it goes another extreme.

I feel like people can't find the Golden mean. They are either hypersensitive or hyper-racist without good explanation for their behaviour. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Yes there can be lots of extremes but that is to be expected.
Original post by seamoon
Hi, I'm doing this thread just because I'm curious what do you think. I don't want to start a fight or insult anyone so please, be also kind and write what you think without unnecessary fuss.

I'm from the right-wing oriented country and I'm curious how political correctness is doing in UK. I've heard many extreme stories-some people say ''right now if you are Muslim you have no calm and people may insult you without a reason''. At the other hand some people tell me: ''British people are so sick with their political correctness. When Manchester attack occured they were focusing more on ''regular'' Muslims and how the attack will affect them while they should start doing something with illegal refugees''.

In my opinion political correctness is not sane anymore. It was okay, when it was only about respect to each other, but right now I can't even say that I don't want to live in muslim borough in London (like Tower Hamlets) cause people assuming that I'm racist and I have something toward Muslims. Without any insulting, you are weird and you have ''wrong'' views just because you don't want to live in specific borough lol. xD
I don't like how Muslims are perceived by the world either, it reminds me Jews' situation before World War-so here it goes another extreme.

I feel like people can't find the Golden mean. They are either hypersensitive or hyper-racist without good explanation for their behaviour. What do you think?

I agree with you, the British people are totally sick of political correctness and they are afraid to express is out of fear of reprisals from liberals and the establishments, people don't know what will happen if they say something, job loss? Get arrested for a hate crime?

It's become like a mental illness in this country. And we need to stop it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Left seem to control everything; the TV media, the Universities, Teachers, Social Workers. I get the impression it's their way or no way. They are completely intolerant of any other view other than their own. Yet to them this is acceptable because they are right and anyone else who doesn't have the same beliefs as them are in the wrong.
Political correctness is disgusting - a nonsense term fabricated by the far-left to push their cultural Marxist agenda.

The white man can't even breathe these days without the liberal left shouting "racist", "sexist", etc.
political correctness went too far years ago. It is all about appeasing foreigners at the expense of our cultures and freedom of speech.
offending people is as much about interpretation as intent and some people deliberately use political correctness to exploit this and criminalise people for a tongue in cheek remark. Positive discrimination is still discrimination!
Original post by seamoon
but right now I can't even say that I don't want to live in muslim borough in London (like Tower Hamlets) cause people assuming that I'm racist and I have something toward Muslims.

Too right. Tower Hamlets isn't a Muslim Borough. It is a Borough yes. And some Muslims live there. But it isn't Muslim by any measure.

There are any number of reasons why you don't want to live in Tower Hamlets. Why can't you just say, "I don't want to live in Tower Hamlets [full stop]" You have conveyed your view and you haven't upset anyone.

Why do you need to say, "I don't want to live in Muslim Tower Hamlets?" A part from showing your ignorance, it adds absolutely nothing to the conversation. You would never say, "I don't want to live in white Surrey," where you are associating it being white with being not very nice. That is the point.

Your own prejudice and desire to see the actions of one person and then extrapolate that onto everyone who looks a bit like that person is what is getting in the way. You should meet and talk to some Muslims. You will find they are very similar to you. They have two arms and two legs. They all have mothers and fathers. Many like cricket and football just like us etc etc. Some are really nice and others not so. Just like people from your own ethnic group.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Richard0328

offending people is as much about interpretation as intent and some people deliberately use political correctness to exploit this and criminalise people for a tongue in cheek remark. Positive discrimination is still discrimination!

You are confusing criticising with offending. Tongue-in-cheek only works if you know someone. Offending someone is when you use some aspect of their persona that they have no control over and use it in a negative manner. It is not nice. It is not necessary. You only want to do it because it gives you power over others. It is a form of bullying.

Why are you upset at being denied a right to verbally abuse someone? Surely that is a good thing?
(edited 6 years ago)
Lol, how many threads are we going to get asking this?

These threads are more annoying than the political correctness itself.
Original post by ByEeek
Too right. Tower Hamlets isn't a Muslim Borough. It is a Borough yes. And some Muslims live there. But it isn't Muslim by any measure.

There are any number of reasons why you don't want to live in Tower Hamlets. Why can't you just say, "I don't want to live in Tower Hamlets [full stop]" You have conveyed your view and you haven't upset anyone.

Why do you need to say, "I don't want to live in Muslim Tower Hamlets?" A part from showing your ignorance, it adds absolutely nothing to the conversation. You would never say, "I don't want to live in white Surrey," where you are associating it being white with being not very nice. That is the point.

Your own prejudice and desire to see the actions of one person and then extrapolate that onto everyone who looks a bit like that person is what is getting in the way. You should meet and talk to some Muslims. You will find they are very similar to you. They have two arms and two legs. They all have mothers and fathers. Many like cricket and football just like us etc etc. Some are really nice and others not so. Just like people from your own ethnic group.

But no one bats an eyelid when a thread pops up on a university forum where a Muslim individual is looking for a flat share with other Muslims only. Imagine a White person posting they are looking for a flat share with Whites only... I don't think it will go down as well.
There is both political correctness towards Muslims and overt hostility towards Muslims. There is racism/prejudice in both cases. The difference is the first one is where people are racist but don't want to be and try to hide it and so correct themslves and the second is where they don't care about how racist they appear and say what they really think.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994

I think we are going to get many more.

There is a growing tsunami of opinion against political correctness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Banneduser
I think we are going to get many more.

There is a growing tsunami of opinion against political correctness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're going to get more trolls too by the looks of it.
Original post by ByEeek
You are confusing criticising with offending. Tongue-in-cheek only works if you know someone. Offending someone is when you use some aspect of their persona that they have no control over and use it in a negative manner. It is not nice. It is not necessary. You only want to do it because it gives you power over others. It is a form of bullying.

Why are you upset at being denied a right to verbally abuse someone? Surely that is a good thing?

I didn't say anything about verbal abuse but you have just validated my point about interpretation and exploitation. You have chosen to put your own agenda on my comment even though the context is completely different
Reply 14
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994

I'm not the active user on this forum. I wanted to make my own thread with my own thoughts. If you don't like it and you see to many of it-don't comment.
Reply 15
Original post by ByEeek

Your post made me laugh. xD Actually I'm talking about people like you. What's wrong in saying ''I don't want to live in Muslim borough?". That's not the lie-that's what I do NOT want to. Muslims don't want to asimilate, I don't care if some of them are nice. The only thing that I care is that in a big group of people you can find a variety of characters-from calm, good persons to sick extermists. Don't lie-muslim society has much more mad extermists who want to kill in the name of Allah than any other culture. Why should I risk? In the name of political correctness and because I should break the stereotypes? For whom? I'll be feeling bad in the borough with the big majority of Muslims. Not because either I don't like them or I don't respect them-everyone wants to be with people similar to them. But I won't be feeling good in the society where women are wearing hijab, or burka :smile: I said that I don't want to make a fuss, but you exaggerate what I wrote. I really hate when people do this...
[video="youtube;ukisoucFIk4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukisoucFIk4[/video]
Original post by Cubone-r
But no one bats an eyelid when a thread pops up on a university forum where a Muslim individual is looking for a flat share with other Muslims only. Imagine a White person posting they are looking for a flat share with Whites only... I don't think it will go down as well.

Being Muslim is different to being white. One can be white and Muslim. Islam is a religion, being white is a race. And I have seen loads of adverts looking for women only, men only, Christians only, Muslims only, climbers only, footballers only. All perfectly fine. But no adverts thankfully for whites only or blacks only.
Original post by Richard0328
I didn't say anything about verbal abuse but you have just validated my point about interpretation and exploitation. You have chosen to put your own agenda on my comment even though the context is completely different

So go on, give me an example of something you would say to someone you didn't know, tongue-in-cheek which you feel isn't offensive, but which you feel would be shot down for being politically correct?
Original post by ByEeek
So go on, give me an example of something you would say to someone you didn't know, tongue-in-cheek which you feel isn't offensive, but which you feel would be shot down for being politically correct?

You're fat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending