The Student Room Group

Name misspelt on provisional driving licence

I changed my name by deed poll and sent my licence to them in the post as you do
It came back with my last name spelt wrong and they never gave me my deed poll back.
Can I
a) write a new deed poll changing my last name from the dumb spelling they did to the actual name would this be easier. But would they know that I'm now changing twice and reject me...
or
b) send a photocopy of my deed poll and write to them that they spelt it wrong?

Also can I take my theory with a different name on my passport?
Original post by pasiley.lea
I changed my name by deed poll and sent my licence to them in the post as you do
It came back with my last name spelt wrong and they never gave me my deed poll back.
Can I
a) write a new deed poll changing my last name from the dumb spelling they did to the actual name would this be easier. But would they know that I'm now changing twice and reject me...
or

Oh no! This is definitely something that needs fixing. You can use this service to contact them to talk about it: https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla
Reply 2
Can I
or

Your original documents will arrive by post within a couple of weeks of receiving your new licence - they don't just keep it.

This is an error on their part. Simply write a short cover letter and return your licence - they will check it on the system and reissue your licence.

You can take your theory test with your licence misspelled, but you will need to return it in order to get it fixed.
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom
Your original documents will arrive by post within a couple of weeks of receiving your new licence - they don't just keep it.

This is an error on their part. Simply write a short cover letter and return your licence - they will check it on the system and reissue your licence.

You can take your theory test with your licence misspelled, but you will need to return it in order to get it fixed.

Okay thanks.
Should I print the cover letter or can I write it by hand...
Also would it be worth getting special delivery? Because I feel like if this licence gets lost it would be a huge headache.
Reply 4
Okay thanks.
Should I print the cover letter or can I write it by hand...
Also would it be worth getting special delivery? Because I feel like if this licence gets lost it would be a huge headache.

It doesn't really matter, you can write it by hand if you prefer; just make sure you sign it with the same signature as is on your licence.

You can pay for special delivery if it gives you piece of mind, but first class post is probably good enough.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
It doesn't really matter, you can write it by hand if you prefer; just make sure you sign it with the same signature as is on your licence.

You can pay for special delivery if it gives you piece of mind, but first class post is probably good enough.

Jeez I've never paid attention to any signature I've ever done...kind of pathetic of me :colondollar:
Didn't think the signature would be important but I'll make sure to do that.
Thanks a lot mate!
Reply 6
Jeez I've never paid attention to any signature I've ever done...kind of pathetic of me :colondollar:
Didn't think the signature would be important but I'll make sure to do that.
Thanks a lot mate!

No signature is ever going to be a perfect duplicate, just make sure it's similar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending