The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Quieter lifestyle accomodation

Hey, has anyone here picked the "prefer living with people that consider themselves to have a quieter lifestyle" option when applying for halls?

For people that have already finished their first year: how were the people in your flat? And for people that are applying for this September: What do you reckon it means?

I'm assuming it just means people that prefer less clubbing/partying etc. but idk
I don't think they had that option when I went, but they certainly asked similar questions about what I was like, and the flat I was allocated to turned out lovely. I definitely think that the question is designed for the reason you have suggested, so answer it truthfully and hopefully you'll end up in a group of like-minded souls.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by toridor324_
I also marked that on my application; I assume it means that you aren't as keen on the idea of frequent clubbing, parties, etc. I know for myself, I would much prefer a quiet night in with my flatmates and friends watching a film or playing games. I tend to be quite shy (to the point of seeming antisocial to some, unfortunately), so not marking the quieter lifestyle option wasn't even a thought for me.

Sorry I only just saw this. That's exactly what I interpreted it as, I think people would also consider me to be shy (especially when I don't know them yet). The thought of a night in with flatmates/friends is definitely much more appealing to me than partying/clubbing personally.

Great to hear your reasons for doing it, hopefully it works out come September!

Original post by Crumpet1
I don't think they had that option when I went, but they certainly asked similar questions about what I was like, and the flat I was allocated to turned out lovely. I definitely think that the question is designed for the reason you have suggested, so answer it truthfully and hopefully you'll end up in a group of like-minded souls.

Thanks, yeah you're right I think it makes most sense to just answer it truthfully. Definitely makes most sense personally for me to choose it and hope it goes as well as yours did!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TheMoon
Hey, has anyone here picked the "prefer living with people that consider themselves to have a quieter lifestyle" option when applying for halls?

For people that have already finished their first year: how were the people in your flat? And for people that are applying for this September: What do you reckon it means?

I'm assuming it just means people that prefer less clubbing/partying etc. but idk

Third year here. That sounds really cool! That must be a new option; they didn't have quiet living as an option when selecting accommodation in my first year. Wish they did; would have made it easier to have flatmates with the same mentality. Once term time hits, that's really going to matter a great deal; mine went out and pre-drank at mine a lot, which was pretty dire as my room was right across the hall from the communal area.

I'd agree in that it probably means that people saying "yes" are less into going out. If you do change your mind, though, it's easy enough to just go out with people living in different halls; bus access across the city is pretty great.
Reply 4
Original post by 9910224
Third year here. That sounds really cool! That must be a new option; they didn't have quiet living as an option when selecting accommodation in my first year. Wish they did; would have made it easier to have flatmates with the same mentality. Once term time hits, that's really going to matter a great deal; mine went out and pre-drank at mine a lot, which was pretty dire as my room was right across the hall from the communal area.

I'd agree in that it probably means that people saying "yes" are less into going out. If you do change your mind, though, it's easy enough to just go out with people living in different halls; bus access across the city is pretty great.

Oh that's cool, it must have been added in the past year or so then! It wouldn't be the end of the world if I still end up with people that like to pre-drink and go out a lot like yours did, it's just that I would most likely make better friends with people that preferred not to so much. Hopefully it wasn't so bad for you!

And if they are too quiet, then it's also not the end of the world since there'll hopefully be people from other halls and from my course or societies that may be more similar to me!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by toridor324_
I also marked that on my application; I assume it means that you aren't as keen on the idea of frequent clubbing, parties, etc. I know for myself, I would much prefer a quiet night in with my flatmates and friends watching a film or playing games. I tend to be quite shy (to the point of seeming antisocial to some, unfortunately), so not marking the quieter lifestyle option wasn't even a thought for me.

This is literally my life too 😂
I ticked the box. I normally sleep at 8pm and wake up between 4am and 5am so the thought of having drunk people waking me up at 1am is a nightmare.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending