The Student Room Group

Working as a student nurse.

Hi guys just wondering how people are coping at uni now that the nhs bursary has gone. Id like to do nursing next year but now that the bursary has gone with placement hours id need to work 62.5 hours each week just to pay my bills. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation or are there any 2017 nursing student facing the same problem. Thanks.
obviously you need the living cost loan. just remember its no good working to topup your income if it risks your course results. work on the bank if you must but dont avoid your study hours you need them.
Original post by Jessharris92
Hi guys just wondering how people are coping at uni now that the nhs bursary has gone. Id like to do nursing next year but now that the bursary has gone with placement hours id need to work 62.5 hours each week just to pay my bills. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation or are there any 2017 nursing student facing the same problem. Thanks.

Hi, I should be starting at university this September studying adult nursing. I currently have two bank (0 hour) care assistant positions, one at a hospital, one at a care home. I plan to continue with the bank work when I can during university.
As it has now moved to a student loan, you will be eligible for a maintenance loan and possibly a larger maintenance loan if you need it, so this may help with your bills. Universities offer a grant if you meet eligibility criteria, however I am not familiar with how it works.
I hope this helps.
Reply 3
Can anyone tell me how many hours to have to do placement work a week then how many hours on top you need for uni work? Deciding whether to apply through clearing but I have a car and other stuff to pay for and money if worrying me!
you work roughly 37.5 hours per week. these are split between early and late shifts and nights. it very difficult to fit a standard job in with your hours. hence why most students do nursing bank work. you need a stable money situation. you really dont want to be worrying about money.
This is why I went to a uni in Wales!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending