The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by k.russell
zzz just seen a copy of edexcel grade boundaries and I'm very glad that I need an A not an A* in fm to meet my offer. FP2 is 70 marks for 80 ums and 72 marks for 90 ums lol, just have to wait and see :s

Where did you find it? 😭
ah fair enough then, I was hoping it might be the same since maths is unreformed anyway but I guess not.
gl lil boat!!!

Thanks I'm going to need some luck! Best of luck to you as well, Rus. 👏🏻🍀
To all of you panicking, I will offer some hopefully helpful advice:

As someone slightly older, who left school a few years back, I've got a little bit of perspective.
I didn't go to uni when I left school, and I've thus far changed my career plan twice. At no point during the last few years has my lack of a Cambridge Degree (or even any degree) caused me to be unhappy. I can assure you what whatever happens tomorrow, there will be opportunities for you to take, people for you to meet, and places for you to go that will make you very happy. Whether you end up going to Cambridge, another University, or taking a year (or several) out and re-applying to University at a later date, just remember that nothing in life is the be all and end all, and that it is possible to be happy no matter what.

I can think on at least 3 'this is the most important moment of my life' moments in the last 5 years, where I have been waiting for a decision to come through, and with the benefit of hindsight, I know that I would have been very happy which ever way each of them went. Don't get wound up worrying about whether or not you have got in, because there will be both pros and cons no matter what results you get.

If anyone wants to chat about stuff, or just unload worries onto someone, feel free to drop me a PM.
I've been in your situation very recently, and I remember what it was like, so I'm happy to help if I can.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Where did you find it? 😭

[mod edit: sorry, but we can't have links to potentially copyright material until it is formally released tomorrow]

this is what I have been looking at, some discussion on TSR as to it's legitimacy but I personally believe it to be real
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4164
[mod edit: sorry, but we can't have links to potentially copyright material until it is formally released tomorrow]

this is what I have been looking at, some discussion on TSR as to it's legitimacy but I personally believe it to be real

Sorry guys, but no links please...
It is against TSR rules for me to share the supposed leaked edexcel grade boundaries on here, or the mark schemes. I do have the link though. I just can't post it. Btw, r/6thform is very interesting at the moment. I would suggest people who do edexcel check it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4166
Where did you find it? 😭

Right, so you CAN post links to offsite links about the material but NOT directly to the material.

So this is ok... (tweet about Edexcel boundaries)
https://twitter.com/tihro1/status/897722296227553280
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Right, so you CAN post links to offsite links about the material but NOT directly to the material.

Doonesbury, I didn't realise you were such a sneak. 😉😜❤️ thanks so much!!

ah sorry, I got the link from a TSR post so thought it was ok. Thx for providing the correct link

To be honest I don't know why they don't just release the boundaries today... I mean, idiots in our cohort leaked the maths papers, surely they've worked out that we're sneaky so and sos 😂
(edited 6 years ago)

Extra sneaky
Reply 4172
Doonesbury, I didn't realise you were such a sneak. 😉😜❤️ thanks so much!!

Original post by Xphoenix
Extra sneaky

Not really - it's just a policy thing.

And as above OCR's is legit available too
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/411689-new-a-level-grade-boundaries-june-2017.pdf
Not really - it's just a policy thing.

And as above OCR's is legit available too
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/411689-new-a-level-grade-boundaries-june-2017.pdf

Hi Everyone. Forget about the grade boundaries, what's done is done. You won't really remember the answers you gave in totality so there really is no point analysing boundaries and second guessing.

I would like to wish you ALL the very best for tomorrow. I am very confident that the vast majority, if not all, of you will meet your offers. I do recall how it felt last year. For the minority who may not achieve your offer, I would say this. You MUST celebrate your grades tomorrow and NOT see your insurance as a failure. At this level the tiniest of hairs really does split students. You will find there are people studying now at Cambridge with AAA (if they narrowly miss an offer but were accepted anyway) and people at other universities with A*A*A* who never achieved an offer at all. To thIs tiny majority, I am sure your insurance is an excellent university.

So good luck to you all, you will all be fine. Go out, enjoy the sunshine😜, cinema whatever and don't worry. Best wishes 😀😀
Reply 4174
Original post by 210555
Hi Everyone. Forget about the grade boundaries, what's done is done. You won't really remember the answers you gave in totality so there really is no point analysing boundaries and second guessing.

I would like to wish you ALL the very best for tomorrow. I am very confident that the vast majority, if not all, of you will meet your offers. I do recall how it felt last year. For the minority who may not achieve your offer, I would say this. You MUST celebrate your grades tomorrow and NOT see your insurance as a failure. At this level the tiniest of hairs really does split students. You will find there are people studying now at Cambridge with AAA (if they narrowly miss an offer but were accepted anyway) and people at other universities with A*A*A* who never achieved an offer at all. To thIs tiny majority, I am sure your insurance is an excellent university.

So good luck to you all, you will all be fine. Go out, enjoy the sunshine😜, cinema whatever and don't worry. Best wishes 😀😀

100% agree - if it's not sunny, go and watch Dunkirk :smile:
100% agree - if it's not sunny, go and watch Dunkirk :smile:

Good choice but maybe something a Little more lighthearted for a laugh today 😜
Hey guys, I am currently anxious about the career prospects attainable through Cambridge by an international student. Anyone who can tell me otherwise? I know I should be thankful enough that I have gotten an offer, but on some days I feel so guilty and anxious that I consider transferring (ridiculous prices for internationals and not to mention the academic demands!) Anyway, sorry everyone for being out of the hype picture. I'm just looking for a few consoling words :frown:
Reply 4177
Original post by fontaine97
Hey guys, I am currently anxious about the career prospects attainable through Cambridge by an international student. Anyone who can tell me otherwise? I know I should be thankful enough that I have gotten an offer, but on some days I feel so guilty and anxious that I consider transferring (ridiculous prices for internationals and not to mention the academic demands!) Anyway, sorry everyone for being out of the hype picture. I'm just looking for a few consoling words :frown:

Why do you think the career prospects for an international Cambridge graduate would be poor?

It's one of the most highly ranked universities in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you search your degree on the Cambridge uni website there will be a KIS section ( assume this means key information statistics). There will be link to UNISTATS which lists graduate outcomes. This is compiled by HEFCE which funds UK students so I am not sure if it applies to international students. However, it is a good start point and something to look at.

In the UK, no degree not even an Oxbridge one)is a golden ticket. Many factors determine a successful career, notwithstanding a little bit of luck. You should make sure you like your subject, that is so important.

I know of someone who strategically chose a less competitive subject just to get into Oxbridge. The student hates the lack of contact time ( it is a humanities subject which do have less contact time) the workload and feels fairly isolated. I feel sympathy for the student, I would hate to have chosen the wrong subject.

Cambridge is excellent, make sure you are going for the right reasons though. Best wishes. 😀

.......e

Original post by 210555

Unfortunately the problem OP will have is a visa, not the name of university. Home Office doesn't give you a longer permit only because you went to Cambridge.
.....Providing they're asking about a job prospect in UK after graduation, which I assume they are as they mentioned 'attainable through Cambridge'.

You mean a job prospect in UK after graduated?
If so, not very easy for non-UK/EU citizens I'm afraid. Even with a degree from Cambridge, the prospect won't be same as that of graduates who are British or from EU. Unless you can find an employer within a certain period after finishing your course (4 months? Someone can correct me on this) who agrees to sponsor to gain a work permit, your tier 4 visa expires and you lose your right to stay in UK. To be honest, in general it's quite difficult to find an employer who is willing to do so as it's expensive and they can usually recruit someone from UK or EU who has right to work in UK without a permit.
The only exceptions may be industries like finance/banking, architecture/built-environment, medicine where there's always a strong demand (and shortage) for talent and with firms/organisation that can afford to pay £5000(?) or so to obtaining a work permit for the employees. (And cost for renewing it every few years). But competition is quite fierce for these, too, and naturally you need to have appropriate qualification for the job.

I really want to say something assuring for you, but the situation is becoming more difficult compared to some years ago even for graduates from 'prestigious' unis like Cambridge in recent years (I'm talking about 5-6 years at least, though) I've seen many Cambridge (and other top uk universities')graduates who had to leave UK as they couldn't find a job within the restricted period.
Very sorry I can't be very assuring.

If you're talking about the prospect in other countries, that's a completely different matter, though.

What are you reading at Cambridge? What sort of job are you thinking?
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending