The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yoyo missed my offer but basically cos one pol unit was A* and the other was a D. I was 2 ums from an A so need to get that remarked asap
Reply 4481
Original post by Leighamc
Haha, went to the pub for a casual drink with my other friends who got into their firm choices, I guess I'm just not used to it!

:hand: excuses! excuses!

:wink:

(Just keep away from the Cam if you are over-indulging...)
Reply 4482
Original post by Throwaway XYZ
(my place is only now salvageable if I get A*AA, they can't show leniency even if they wanted to because it's all done automatically over UCAS),

UCAS is just the messenger. If a university want to revise an offer downwards it can do so.

When do you expect to get the remarks back?
I'm not giving up yet.

I've received confirmation from my sixth form that they are willing to pay for all the remarks. Would have cost me near 200 quid otherwise. Now, I realise going from BBB to A*AA is pretty much an impossibility, but I believe it's highly possible that I can go up to ABB or even AAB. I had serious extenuating circumstances that they were aware of. I'll ask what the minimum grades that I would have been let in are. If they would have let me in with my remarked grades (my place is only now salvageable if I get A*AA, they can't show leniency even if they wanted to because it's all done automatically over UCAS), I will reapply for the next cycle (deadline October). I will reapply to the same college of course. They liked me enough the first time round to give me an offer, why not again? I will ask them how likely it is that I'd get an offer again though.

If they say the grades would still have needed to be a bit higher for them to have been willing to let me in, I will ask how they would feel about me reapplying whilst also resitting some of the exams.

This shouldn't have happened. I should be punting up the River Cam in my gown. I should be sitting in that beautiful little library surrounded by hundreds of tomes whilst someone asks me if I'd like to come to the formal dinner with them. When I opened my results I felt a timeline shift. I've desperately trying to move on and accept I will be happy at my insurance, but I just can't see myself anywhere else. I was so close. This will haunt me for the rest of my life.

inb4 you're being over-dramatic, it's not the end of the world, blah blah, etc.
This was the chance of a lifetime. The entire future I had planned for myself hinged on going to Cambridge. How would you feel if your entire world collapsed around you? I have nothing else, no friends, no hobbies. This was going to be the turning point in my life. Things were going to get better.

This is sad and I hope you get in.

You are not being dramatic. I know someone who started getting pushed towards Cambridge since they were like 5. From prep school to sixth form, he dreamed about studying at the same university as his father and grandfather. Luckily he got in.

It is incredibly sad that you fell short at the last hurdle and I support you remark. You never know what lies ahead. If that does not happen and you want to reapply next year, please be sure that is what you want. There are other opportunities to study at Cambridge.

If your insurance choice is decent enough, I will suggest that you study there and then progress to Cambridge for a masters or doctoral training.

I wish you the best with whatever you decide to do.
Original post by Leighamc
Archaeology :biggrin:

Downing Site, then.
After 3 years of cycling up Castle Hill, you'll be awarded with a good pair of beautifully toned thighs as well as your degree. :biggrin:
Original post by Doonesbury
UCAS is just the messenger. If a university want to revise an offer downwards it can do so.

When do you expect to get the remarks back?

My college told me that it is now impossible to retrieve me from my insurance choice unless I meet the grades specified in the offer letter. I assume it is because of technicalities of the UCAS system.

I went for a 'priority' remark so they should come back in a few days at most.
Reply 4486
My college told me that it is now impossible to retrieve me from my insurance choice unless I meet the grades specified in the offer letter. I assume it is because of technicalities of the UCAS system.

I went for a 'priority' remark so they should come back in a few days at most.

Well fingers crossed for the remarks - and then take it up with UCAS/Cambridge...
How long do priority remarks usually take? I'm assuming that it will be working days rather than weekends.
Reply 4488
Hi!

Long time thread stalker here...
I'm just jumping in for those still waiting-

I applied to Clare, got winter pooled to Sidney Sussex, missed my grades yesterday (AAA but not super close to A*s), and was placed in the summer pool... only to be fished out a couple of hours ago by Clare!!

There is hope- and I have my fingers crossed for everyone.
Original post by VL100
Hi!

I applied to Clare, got winter pooled to Sidney Sussex, missed my grades yesterday (AAA but not super close to A*s), and was placed in the summer pool... only to be fished out a couple of hours ago by Clare!!

Congratulations! That must feel incredible given you applied there initially. Which subject are you studying (if you want to say)?
Reply 4490
Original post by zippidee
Congratulations! That must feel incredible given you applied there initially. Which subject are you studying (if you want to say)?

Yes I cried for a good hour when they rang :biggrin:. Theology :smile:
Original post by VL100
Hi!

Well done. That's awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VL100
Hi!

Congrats!
Reply 4493
Original post by Obiejess

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Reply 4494
Original post by shamika
Congrats!

Thank you!
Original post by VL100
Yes I cried for a good hour when they rang :biggrin:. Theology :smile:

Woohoo, I'm theology too! :five:
Original post by Obiejess

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry if I missed it, but have you heard whether you're fished yet. Good luck if not! (I help out here but very infrequently so only the mathmos have a chance of recognising me :wink: )
Reply 4497
Original post by zippidee
Woohoo, I'm theology too! :five:

What college?!
Anybody know when Cambridge plans on sending out information about accommodation? They said we'd get more info in the post in August but I've received nothing. Am I alone in this?
Reply 4499
Original post by VL100
Hi!

That's next level rollercoastering right there! Congratulations.

I presume this is for Maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending