The Student Room Group

Worth doing A Level Further Maths?

Hi, I just did my GCSEs, and I selected my A Levels, from Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Computer Science. I intend on doing CompSci/Engineering at a RG university, and I would love to try and go for Cambridge with hard work. However I believed I wouldn't get a high enough grade in Maths at GCSE to do it at A Level, so Further Maths initially wasn't available to me to take, but I have the capacity to change the A Levels now. I was just wondering if it's worth it, if it was possible to get in with just normal Maths (at say A*A*A*, hypothetically), and what workload is like.

Would it be possible to self-study it at home instead?

If you're wondering what my GCSEs were like:
9, 8, 8 in Eng Lit, Lang, and Maths respectively, A* in Chemistry, As in everything else.
Reply 1
If ur proposing to do 5 a levels i would say no
Reply 2
Otherwise u are gonna have to make a decision as to whether u want to do engineering or comp sci and drop one subject to accomodate further maths.

As a frther maths student who wants to do engineering i can say that i really enjoy it but it is a lot of hard work.

Hoenstly have a look at the courses that u may want to apply for. Some may say they want further maths whilst others say it is preferred.
100% switch one of your subjects for further maths but it doesn't really matter which honestly.
Actually if you want to keep engineering open you obviously need to keep physics. You don't need computer science a-level to do computer science at most top unis so it might be an idea to keep chemistry as you are obviously fairly good at it.
Original post by AryanGh
Hi, I just did my GCSEs, and I selected my A Levels, from Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Computer Science. I intend on doing CompSci/Engineering at a RG university, and I would love to try and go for Cambridge with hard work. However I believed I wouldn't get a high enough grade in Maths at GCSE to do it at A Level, so Further Maths initially wasn't available to me to take, but I have the capacity to change the A Levels now. I was just wondering if it's worth it, if it was possible to get in with just normal Maths (at say A*A*A*, hypothetically), and what workload is like.

Would it be possible to self-study it at home instead?

If you're wondering what my GCSEs were like:
9, 8, 8 in Eng Lit, Lang, and Maths respectively, A* in Chemistry, As in everything else.

Not worth doing FM as not needed but you could self teach. I don't know if you just meant maths or all your subjects but you definitely can't self teach chemistry
Original post by Reece.W.J
Not worth doing FM as not needed but you could self teach. I don't know if you just meant maths or all your subjects but you definitely can't self teach chemistry

I meant specifically the self-study of FM
Original post by AryanGh
I meant specifically the self-study of FM

Yeah you should be fine
Original post by Reece.W.J

Further maths is highly desirable for computer science at top unis like cambridge.
Swap out Computer Science for Further Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest