The Student Room Group

What engine size should I get for a first car?

Hi everyone.

Looking to buy a used car probably off autotrader soon and I was wondering If engine size really is that much of an issue. When I looked on comparrison websites for insurance, a two litre engine would only cost about £100 more than what a one litre engine would cost. I am looking at 2009 Ford Focus by the way. My journey to college everyday consits of mainly high speed dual carrigway so I understand that smaller engines become less efficient when it comes to high speed. So should I just go on and get the Focus or reconsider? Thanks everyone
Reply 1
Original post by aaron5830
Hi everyone.

Looking to buy a used car probably off autotrader soon and I was wondering If engine size really is that much of an issue. When I looked on comparrison websites for insurance, a two litre engine would only cost about £100 more than what a one litre engine would cost. I am looking at 2009 Ford Focus by the way. My journey to college everyday consits of mainly high speed dual carrigway so I understand that smaller engines become less efficient when it comes to high speed. So should I just go on and get the Focus or reconsider? Thanks everyone

Hi everyone.

How old are you? If you don't mind me asking, and how long have you had your licence for?

Usually insurers will refuse to insure any new drivers on a 2 litre engine. For newer drivers, 1.2 litre seems like the sweet spot.
My first car was/is a 1.2L petrol and I've never had an issue on long drives. If anything the mileage gets better, I can get nearly 40mpg which is good given the car is over 15 years old!
Reply 4
Original post by RoyalSheepy
How old are you? If you don't mind me asking, and how long have you had your licence for?

Usually insurers will refuse to insure any new drivers on a 2 litre engine. For newer drivers, 1.2 litre seems like the sweet spot.

I should have said this. Sorry!. I am 17 years old. I only have a provisional licence.
I should have said this. Sorry!. I am 17 years old. I only have a provisional licence.

Ahh ok, so I'm guessing you mean a Learner driver insurance, and not the insurance when you actually pass?
Reply 6
Original post by EwanWest
My first car was/is a 1.2L petrol and I've never had an issue on long drives. If anything the mileage gets better, I can get nearly 40mpg which is good given the car is over 15 years old!

What car is it if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 7
Ahh ok, so I'm guessing you mean a Learner driver insurance, and not the insurance when you actually pass?

Well. I checked first on compare the meerkat for learner insurance on the focus 2.0 and adrian flux would do learner insurance for £450 a year and then I checked what It would actually be when I pass my test and MORE TH>N would do telematics for £1300 a year.
What car is it if you don't mind me asking?

02 VW Polo. Insurance was pretty cheap (£750 fully comp) even for the 1st year, although that might also be something to do with the fact it has a 'top of the range' cassette player and no central locking
Well. I checked first on compare the meerkat for learner insurance on the focus 2.0 and adrian flux would do learner insurance for £450 a year and then I checked what It would actually be when I pass my test and MORE TH>N would do telematics for £1300 a year.

Hmmm, for a 2 litre engine that seems like too good of a quote. But then again, it is a black box quote. Are you a named driver or the main driver?
Reply 10
Original post by EwanWest
02 VW Polo. Insurance was pretty cheap (£750 fully comp) even for the 1st year, although that might also be something to do with the fact it has a 'top of the range' cassette player and no central locking

Only £750 a year? Wow. Was that on telematics though?
Reply 11
Hmmm, for a 2 litre engine that seems like too good of a quote. But then again, it is a black box quote. Are you a named driver or the main driver?

Main driver. I know what you mean,surely a 2.0 would cost much more than that! Especially after hearing lots of stories on the internet about people being quoted ridiculous figures!
Only £750 a year? Wow. Was that on telematics though?

Without a blackbox, I was 20 having passed at 17 though. Didn't have a car inbetween. I'd also done pass plus which I'd recommend if you haven't done motorway as a learner under the new rules
Main driver. I know what you mean,surely a 2.0 would cost much more than that! Especially after hearing lots of stories on the internet about people being quoted ridiculous figures!

Just put it this way, most insurers refused to insure me on my 1.6 (but then again, it's a VXR Corsa so I'm not surprised :lol:).

It's up to you if you want to go take out a black box insurance, I mean me and especially @IWMTom would advise anyone to stay away from black boxes.
Reply 14

Thing is though, telematics seems to be the only option. Without it most cars I have compared fall into the £3000 a year range!
Reply 15
Just put it this way, most insurers refused to insure me on my 1.6 (but then again, it's a VXR Corsa so I'm not surprised :lol:).

It's up to you if you want to go take out a black box insurance, I mean me and especially @IWMTom would advise anyone to stay away from black boxes.

Maybe a 1.6 on a car as light as a corsa would send a car rocketing if you put your foot down. That could put insures off I guess. Were you looking at quotes for telematics or just normal fully comp?
Maybe a 1.6 on a car as light as a corsa would send a car rocketing if you put your foot down. That could put insures off I guess. Were you looking at quotes for telematics or just normal fully comp?

I was looking for both 3rd party and fully comp (both types, black box and without).

Spoiler

Don't assume anything about price if you put down that you hold a provisional license when getting a quote, it will be based on the fact that you will have an experienced driver with you at all times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending