The Student Room Group

Which is better for mechanical engineering Newcastle or Coventry

I have unconditional offers from both for BEng mechanical engineering but I'm wondering which is better because from university table rankings it seems Newcastle is on a steady decline where as Coventry is on a steady incline. I'm aware that table rankings aren't everything though its just hard to use them as an indicator in this instance.
Better nightlife in Newcastle I'd expect. Coventry strikes me as a place to avoid.
Original post by KingHarold
Better nightlife in Newcastle I'd expect. Coventry strikes me as a place to avoid.

i dont care about nightlife i care about employibiity and which university is better for the course
Reply 3
Coventry isn't bad for nightlife anyway. On the leader boards Coventry seems to have improved greatly over the last year though. Newcastle is better for research stuff.
Original post by 1997sam
Coventry isn't bad for nightlife anyway. On the leader boards Coventry seems to have improved greatly over the last year though. Newcastle is better for research stuff.

overall for mech eng which one is better without considering league table position
Reply 5
Original post by marshmellow:)
overall for mech eng which one is better without considering league table position

I have friends in coventry that do engineering, the engineering dept seems pretty good there. I'd go for that one. It has a good rep
Original post by marshmellow:)
i dont care about nightlife i care about employibiity and which university is better for the course

Hi
I'm a student here at cov uni and an advocate within the engineering faculty.
We have a really good employment support structure here from our department called EC Futures (best placement company for 2 years running awarded by nue).
http://www.coventry.ac.uk/study-at-coventry/faculties-and-schools/engineering-environment-and-computing/employability-placements/
They help support us with our cv's, interview skills and anything else you might need help with. We hold career fairs 4 times a year to give us chance to meet some high profile companies face-to-face (JLR, Triumph, Bentley, Aston Martin, Tata Technologies to name a few).
I can't speak for Newcastle but I can certainly put a vote in for Coventry and the support and investment that they offer here for graduate employment and industry skills.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by advocateeec20
Hi
I'm a student here at cov uni and an advocate within the engineering faculty.
We have a really good employment support structure here from our department called EC Futures (best placement company for 2 years running awarded by nue).
http://www.coventry.ac.uk/study-at-coventry/faculties-and-schools/engineering-environment-and-computing/employability-placements/
They help support us with our cv's, interview skills and anything else you might need help with. We hold career fairs 4 times a year to give us chance to meet some high profile companies face-to-face (JLR, Triumph, Bentley, Aston Martin, Tata Technologies to name a few).
I can't speak for Newcastle but I can certainly put a vote in for Coventry and the support and investment that they offer here for graduate employment and industry skills.

Question:
Do you have to pay full tuition fees during placement year? Can it go down if you do more than x months of placements?

thanks
Reply 8
Original post by ItsTheLegend27
Question:
Do you have to pay full tuition fees during placement year? Can it go down if you do more than x months of placements?

thanks

You pay a very reduced tuition fee during a placement year (often about £1,000). And a placement should be for a whole year, not a few months.
Original post by Doonesbury
You pay a very reduced tuition fee during a placement year (often about £1,000). And a placement should be for a whole year, not a few months.

Thanks

Another question; how does doing Meng benefit you? does it give you more options for specialization or more money etc?
Reply 10
Thanks

Another question; how does doing Meng benefit you? does it give you more options for specialization or more money etc?

The MEng adds an extra year and yes gives you more options to choose from, plus a reasonably significant dissertation or group project (depends on the university/course). An MEng (or BEng + MSc) is needed to complete the academic requirements needed for chartership.

Also, fundingwise, an MEng is more straightforward than the BEng + MSc route because it's fully covered by the undergraduate student loan, including maintenance.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
The MEng adds an extra year and yes gives you more options to choose from, plus a reasonably significant dissertation or group project (depends on the university/course). An MEng (or BEng + MSc) is needed to complete the academic requirements needed for chartership.

Also, fundingwise, an MEng is more straightforward than the BEng + MSc route because it's fully covered by the undergraduate student loan, including maintenance.

I applied through clearing to Coventry and they said i could convert to MEng after the 2nd/3rd year, will I have to apply for another loan then or will my undergrad one extend? They said they dont really offer MEng straight away or something like that...
Reply 12
I applied through clearing to Coventry and they said i could convert to MEng after the 2nd/3rd year, will I have to apply for another loan then or will my undergrad one extend? They said they dont really offer MEng straight away or something like that...

Yes you can extend your undergrad loan to the 4th year. Worst case it will use up your "gift" year (SFE allows you an extra year in case you fail a year or change your mind - the 4th year would satisfy the latter case).
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest