The Student Room Group

Is Homework a must at A-level? (Ranting included)

Big up, i hate homework with a passion. I'm already tired of A-level after i got my first homework and then got told there was homework before this one and then i got told off for not doing it when i didn't even know about that homework... *sighs and mutters 'I hate school...'*

I swear every teacher i come across sounds like their taking the piss due to the tone of their voice's. I don't even know if I'm getting delusional or senile... *sighs again*

Btw i picked Biology, Chemistry & Business. I told the 6th form administer i wanted to change Chemistry for History... guess what? She didn't even change the records even though she told me she did. Now i have this bad feeling that there isn't any space because the school accepted 111 students for sixth form... I'm going to try to talk to her face to face in the morning to get things sorted out, otherwise my hopes for triple B are over.

Talk about a terrible start, hopefully the year gets better as it goes on.

Scroll to see replies

For me Homework is just another way of revising so see it as that as you have to revise anyway to get good grades :smile:. Try get your subject changed if you don't like it, tell them about the records and they should allow it.
No, it isn't a must. But if you don't do it you can say goodbye to seeing BBB on results day.

Also, you're expected to do your own work. You can't just do classwork and homework and then stop. You should do your own independent work too.
If you don't do homework you're going to fail. A-levels are lots of work and it's inevitable that there wont be enough time in lesson to do all the practice you need to do well. Like 90% of the time you don't even have to do it at home, you have free periods for a reason.
Depends. If your teacher is setting you a bit of reading for you to do so lesson time could be used for consolidation (ngl I always do this minutes before the lesson but I plan on doing better for Year 12 and 13) or anything like that, I think it's fair and I'd do that.

If, at A-Level, they're still setting trash like my KS4 science teacher's favourite - posters, leaflets and research barely relevant to a rushed curriculum even when you squint, I don't blame you if you let it go through one ear and out the other.

But you really gotta stop slacking during A-Level for the most part. We can't swim through A-Levels like we did at GCSE, I've already begun to notice that.
If working on your academic subjects beyond the small number of timetabled hours isn't something you wish to do, then I would recommend considering other level 3 qualifications rather than A-levels, which are necessarily academic qualifications to prepare for entry to university. I would also advise you do not apply to university after 6th form, and focus on entering the workforce or possibly pursuing an apprenticeship. However even in the latter case you will be expected to do work outside of standard working hours, and depending on the role even in the former case you may be required to do work from home or over weekends.

I'm not really sure what you were expecting, but you may wish to re-evaluate your expectations of life generally, lest you be very disappointed moving forward.
Reply 6
If every student could be relied upon to self-study all the content not covered in lessons (as well as practising exam technique) in an effective and structured way, then homework wouldn't be necessary. However, that's obviously never going to happen. Teachers need to set homework to ensure that students aren't missing out or misunderstanding parts of the syllabus, or covering it too slowly to be able to finish everything by the time it gets to exams. Marking homework also allows teachers to check your understanding of each topic, and to give you more specific targeted feedback than would be possible with classwork alone. It's really in your best interests to do your homework to the best of your ability, and to hand it in on time.
Original post by SuperHuman98
For me Homework is just another way of revising so see it as that as you have to revise anyway to get good grades :smile:. Try get your subject changed if you don't like it, tell them about the records and they should allow it.

Original post by DrawTheLine
No, it isn't a must. But if you don't do it you can say goodbye to seeing BBB on results day.

Also, you're expected to do your own work. You can't just do classwork and homework and then stop. You should do your own independent work too.

Original post by black1blade
If you don't do homework you're going to fail. A-levels are lots of work and it's inevitable that there wont be enough time in lesson to do all the practice you need to do well. Like 90% of the time you don't even have to do it at home, you have free periods for a reason.

Original post by orderofthelotus
Depends. If your teacher is setting you a bit of reading for you to do so lesson time could be used for consolidation (ngl I always do this minutes before the lesson but I plan on doing better for Year 12 and 13) or anything like that, I think it's fair and I'd do that.

If, at A-Level, they're still setting trash like my KS4 science teacher's favourite - posters, leaflets and research barely relevant to a rushed curriculum even when you squint, I don't blame you if you let it go through one ear and out the other.

But you really gotta stop slacking during A-Level for the most part. We can't swim through A-Levels like we did at GCSE, I've already begun to notice that.

Original post by Beth_H
If every student could be relied upon to self-study all the content not covered in lessons (as well as practising exam technique) in an effective and structured way, then homework wouldn't be necessary. However, that's obviously never going to happen. Teachers need to set homework to ensure that students aren't missing out or misunderstanding parts of the syllabus, or covering it too slowly to be able to finish everything by the time it gets to exams. Marking homework also allows teachers to check your understanding of each topic, and to give you more specific targeted feedback than would be possible with classwork alone. It's really in your best interests to do your homework to the best of your ability, and to hand it in on time.

Original post by artful_lounger
If working on your academic subjects beyond the small number of timetabled hours isn't something you wish to do, then I would recommend considering other level 3 qualifications rather than A-levels, which are necessarily academic qualifications to prepare for entry to university. I would also advise you do not apply to university after 6th form, and focus on entering the workforce or possibly pursuing an apprenticeship. However even in the latter case you will be expected to do work outside of standard working hours, and depending on the role even in the former case you may be required to do work from home or over weekends.

I'm not really sure what you were expecting, but you may wish to re-evaluate your expectations of life generally, lest you be very disappointed moving forward.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get my life sorted out since I'm naturally very lazy (Lol, i must've inherited it from my Dad. Since even his boss even told him he's too lazy.) But ya know i never chose A-levels for the BS i'm going through now, i just want to get a very high paying job atleast 2.5k per month (my dad gets 1.4k per month and is still in dept, no owned house, no owned car and in dept. That's the only thing stopping me from seeing failure as a pass.)

I'm also lost on whether i should go into an Apprenticeship at the end of A-levels or go Uni? I need money to support my family instead of gaining a massive dept. Someone advise me... :s-smilie:
If your A level teacher calls it "homework" then it's likely not important. If it's "coursework", then yes, it must be completed otherwise you'd fail or get poor grades. You can ask them if it goes toward your final grade but even if it doesn't, they may have given you that work for your own benefit!

I only ever got coursework, not homework though. Homework should remain in high school. Above high school, work you do at home is often required and necessary.
Original post by hannxm
If your A level teacher calls it "homework" then it's likely not important. If it's "coursework", then yes, it must be completed otherwise you'd fail or get poor grades. You can ask them if it goes toward your final grade but even if it doesn't, they may have given you that work for your own benefit!

I only ever got coursework, not homework though. Homework should remain in high school. Above high school, work you do at home is often required and necessary.

It does depend on subject and how much is weighted towards exams.
Original post by anon157
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get my life sorted out since I'm naturally very lazy (Lol, i must've inherited it from my Dad. Since even his boss even told him he's too lazy.) But ya know i never chose A-levels for the BS i'm going through now, i just want to get a very high paying job atleast 2.5k per month (my dad gets 1.4k per month and is still in dept, no owned house, no owned car and in dept. That's the only thing stopping me from seeing failure as a pass.)

I'm also lost on whether i should go into an Apprenticeship at the end of A-levels or go Uni? I need money to support my family instead of gaining a massive dept. Someone advise me... :s-smilie:

What BS? Actually having to do work?
Reply 11
Yes i would say homework is needed as its kinda the same aa revision, so think of it as extra revision :tongue:
Original post by hannxm
If your A level teacher calls it "homework" then it's likely not important.

I think the wording of "may" and "likely" are far too weak here, and may give the OP the wrong impression.
As someone said, it depends on the A level, but I have never heard of someone getting 'homework' in college or sixth form. It was pretty clear that all work we got was coursework and was put towards the final grade to some degree. However, OP, should ask their teacher literally every time, unless stated, if the work goes towards their final grade, though the answer will likely be "yes".

@anon157 A levels are a lot different, more challenging and demand more work compared to GCSEs so if you're not up to put in that work, then maybe it's not the right time for you to take them.

Original post by _gcx
I think the wording of "may" and "likely" are far too weak here, and may give the OP the wrong impression.
For maths and science if you don't practice by doing questions (probably as homework) you're going to fail the exams and get a low grade.
Original post by hannxm
As someone said, it depends on the A level, but I have never heard of someone getting 'homework' in college or sixth form. It was pretty clear that all work we got was coursework and was put towards the final grade to some degree. However, OP, should ask their teacher literally every time, unless stated, if the work goes towards their final grade, though the answer will likely be "yes".

@anon157 A levels are a lot different, more challenging and demand more work compared to GCSEs so if you're not up to put in that work, then maybe it's not the right time for you to take them.

What kind of sixth forms are in your area?
Original post by hannxm

Coursework is eliminated in the new spec a levels as it's linear now so exams happen at the end of year 13 and so there's no more AS in year 12 that'll go toward the overall grade unfortunately.
Original post by DrawTheLine
What kind of sixth forms are in your area?

I only went to the one at my school - didn't need to look around. Went to college after and all was coursework.
Original post by hannxm

Are you outside the British education system or taking a coursework-heavy qualification like a BTEC? Coursework has been eliminated in most subjects and capped for others, hence the answer will be "no". Almost all sixth forms will have homework tasks that will, most often, aid the student's learning; it shouldn't matter whether that work contributes to their final grade anyway.
Oh really? Wow I'm out of the loop. :lol: I knew GCSEs had changed, but not A levels.

Original post by anon157
Coursework is eliminated in the new spec a levels as it's linear now so exams happen at the end of year 13 and so there's no more AS in year 12 that'll go toward the overall grade unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest