The Student Room Group

Political stance of this website

Are people who post on this forum are more left-leaning or right-leaning, on a socio-economic scale? Especially goes out to the Britbongs who frequent. I don't really feel like trawling through dozens of threads to find out. Then again, you might not be bothered to give me a straight answer, but that's fair enough.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Steve
Are people who post on this forum are more left-leaning or right-leaning, on a socio-economic scale? Especially goes out to the Britbongs who frequent. I don't really feel like trawling through dozens of threads to find out. Then again, you might not be bothered to give me a straight answer, but that's fair enough.

They are more left leaning
Reply 2
Left-leaning.
Original post by _Steve

More people lean left as they are younger
Reply 4
Thanks for the answers, friends. Another enquiry, if I may: how touchy are subjects such as race, immigration, poverty and so on here? As in, are people easily offended by genuinely serious discussion (and mild to "dank" banter) such that one could get banned for something playful or innocuous? Asking for a friend.
Original post by _Steve
Thanks for the answers, friends. Another enquiry, if I may: how touchy are subjects such as race, immigration, poverty and so on here? As in, are people easily offended by genuinely serious discussion (and mild to "dank" banter) such that one could get banned for something playful or innocuous? Asking for a friend.

Yes the left get really butt hurt just like in real life
Original post by _Steve

Race, immigration, religion etc are debated heavily on the forums and people are encouraged to get involved in the debates but to just be polite when getting your point across. See the Community Rules for what is and isn't allowed.

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by D3LLI5
They are more left leaning

Interesting that this is the conclusion. How do you know? Have you polled everyone?
Reply 8
TSR has always been left-leaning, it was up to TSR Ed Miliband would have been PM.
Original post by ByEeek
Interesting that this is the conclusion. How do you know? Have you polled everyone?

From experience
Original post by paul514
Yes the left get really butt hurt just like in real life

Lol, as if the right don't.
Original post by Mathemagicien
More left-leaning than general population, but far more right-leaning than the general population of their age groups.

Indeed. I find it strange that so many alt-right light types have joined here.

At times this place seems like the comment section of the Daiy Mail
Why are you surprised? TSR has roughly the same demographics as 4chan (except of course far fewer continental Europeans and Americans).

I think it's fair to say that the majority of TSR are left leaning but that the right wing folks are a lot more vocal on here.

Just surprised in that the vast majority of 18-24 years olds are left wing but that's not reflected on here really.

I'm not talking about the intellectual right wingers, but rather the Daily Mail comment section ones.
Original post by Bornblue
Lol, as if the right don't.

Not in the same way or to the same level, we all know the left is like a hair trigger
Original post by paul514
Not in the same way or to the same level, we all know the left is like a hair trigger

Disagree. There seems to be far more threads on here moaning about feminism/multiculturalism/diversity etc etc than there are by lefites going on about bigotry.
Original post by paul514

I’m offended by that, please delete your post

We have both wings present on tar, if hazard that most people lean towards the left end of the spectrum but we do have some quite vocal people on the right as well, some quite smart and some not so
anti brexit
anti trump
anti Rees Mogg
anti Le Pen
anti conservatives

pro immigration
pro multiculturalism
pro welfare
pro Islam
pro gay marriage
pro trans

Left leaning
TSR isn't just a cross-section of the 18-24 demographic.

The average 18-24 year old doesn't show quite so much disdain for the arts, nor is so disappointed at getting a mere 99% on their Additional Further Extended Maths paper, nor so obsessed with Oxbridge.

I think it is fair to say that a lot of people who are driven to talk on TSR are the people who don't fit in in real life.

When it comes to politics, in the 18-24 year old demographic, those people are the Tories, nationalists, and other deplorables.

As for a lot of them being daily mail type commentators, well, most of the best right-wing debators have been banned. A few of the best left-wing debators too, but TSR's increasingly safe space oriented moderation hit the right hardest for obvious reasons.

The default position for the average not-that-interested-in-politics student is soft left. They'll vote Labour, if at all but apart from elections, they'll show little interest.

I've noticed that many of the right wing intellects and previous libertarians have developed a soft spot for the likes of Trump, Le Pen, Farage etc. It seems that they'll support anyone who pisses off the left, irrespective of what they actually stand for. Thus you get a fair few formerly decent right-wingers supporting those who deny climate change, just because it annoys the left.

But it's the angry, nativist right i'm confused about. Who are these people in real life? Are they equally as aggressive and angry, or is this forum just an escape for them?

For every 'you're all bigoted' thread on here by someone on the left, you'll get 3-4 'feminism/multiculturalism is ruining everything' threads.
(edited 6 years ago)
Disagree. There seems to be far more threads on here moaning about feminism/multiculturalism/diversity etc etc than there are by lefites going on about bigotry.

I’d call that creating topics rather than trying to get everything banned and offended by everything.
I think it's fair to say that the majority of TSR are left leaning but that the right wing folks are a lot more vocal on here.

Just surprised in that the vast majority of 18-24 years olds are left wing but that's not reflected on here really.

I'm not talking about the intellectual right wingers, but rather the Daily Mail comment section ones.

TSR has a far more middle class demographic than RL and also a generally more political demographic too.

In RL you must remember that even this election, turnout was only 57% meaning that the actual split was something like 36% Lab, 12% Tory, 9% others, 43% did not vote. On TSR the more political and middle class demographic (probably the two are linked) means that support for the Tories is higher (because average parental wealth is higher) and we lose a lot of the non-voters who actually support somebody on here. That makes it more like 45% Lab, 30% Tory, 15% others (fringe), 10% non-voters.

Basically the alt-right (and communists) are stronger here simply because non-voters in RL are replaced by a larger politically interested fringe on here and the right in general on here is stronger because the mean parental wage is higher (i.e. they come from wealthier backgrounds).

Labour still wins though because they are the opposition right now and the demographic still leans left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending