The Student Room Group

University Dean Offered Me Retrospective Suspension to Resit Year

I have a MH condition which meant completing my BSc Hons Psych course on time was impossible.

They gave me deferred assessments till December 2017 - But my grades have been sub standard throughout the year and I requested a resit.

Despite attending the course and submitting work, they have said the only way i can resit the year is if they fully wipe last years attempt in the form of a retrospective suspension of studies as they do not allow final year resits.

I have since found out today that if I go down this route, I will have to pay back ALL of the student finance I received for last year, despite attempting or getting mitigation for each assessment.

I spoke to the student finance department within uni that said this is a crazy way of doing things and to hold of signing my intention to suspend that the uni sent me this morning.

Im not sure what to do. It seems unfair that the Uni will keep the £7950 that was paid to them regardless while I will undergo such financial hardship of having to pay back around £7000 due to a technicality.

Any advice would be great.

P.s. Student Finance has agreed to fund me for the resit year.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by liamacker
I have a MH condition which meant completing my BSc Hons Psych course on time was impossible.

They gave me deferred assessments till December 2017 - But my grades have been sub standard throughout the year and I requested a resit.

Despite attending the course and submitting work, they have said the only way i can resit the year is if they fully wipe last years attempt in the form of a retrospective suspension of studies as they do not allow final year resits.

I have since found out today that if I go down this route, I will have to pay back ALL of the student finance I received for last year, despite attempting or getting mitigation for each assessment.

I spoke to the student finance department within uni that said this is a crazy way of doing things and to hold of signing my intention to suspend that the uni sent me this morning.

Im not sure what to do. It seems unfair that the Uni will keep the £7950 that was paid to them regardless while I will undergo such financial hardship of having to pay back around £7000 due to a technicality.

Any advice would be great.

You were enrolled on a university course as a university student. Student Finance does not care whether you had mitigation for your assessments, you were still a registered student there and that cost the same amount of money as the years your assessments were counted.

It’s perfectly fair, it’s not Student Finance’s fault you’re in this situation. You won’t be under any financial hardship, you’ll pay back a tiny amount each month when you’re earning over £21,000 a year.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Glassapple
You were enrolled on a university course as a university student. Student Finance does not care whether you had mitigation for your assessments, you were still a registered student there and that cost the same amount of money as the years your assessments were counted. It’s perfectly fair, it’s not Student Finance’s fault you’re in this situation. You won’t be under any financial hardship, you pay back a tiny amount each month when you’re earning over £21,000 a year.

I think you misread my post... In order to resit, my university is offering to suspend my studies from the previous year... In which case I will owe SFE £7000 from last year as the university is basically wiping last year from the record saying I didn't attend... SFE have been great...
I think you misread my post... In order to resit, my university is offering to suspend my studies from the previous year... In which case I will owe SFE £7000 from last year as the university is basically wiping last year from the record saying I didn't attend... SFE have been great...

You clearly don’t understand my post. Suspending your studies from the previous year means your university assessments are void, not counted and you get to do them again as a first attempt. It doesn’t mean they’re saying you didn’t attend, that’s a misunderstanding on your part. It is like you didn’t attend but officially you did. That is on your Student Finance record and will be on your final university transcript of results as they have to say you did an extra year.

You were still a registered student who cost money to attend the university, regardless of what happened to your assessments. You could do no assessments all year and you’d still owe Student Finance money for being a student at a university.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
The money would have to be paid immediately upon suspension action, thats what i have been told... So it wouldn't just get added to my account with SLC... is this not true?
The money would have to be paid immediately upon suspension action, thats what i have been told... So it wouldn't just get added to my account with SLC... is this not true?

You’ve already said they’re going to pay for your resit year, everything will be added to your SLC account. You don’t have to pay anything now at all.

@Doonesbury in case I’m missing something (I don’t think I am).
Reply 6
Original post by Glassapple
You’ve already said they’re going to pay for your resit year, everything will be added to your SLC account. You don’t have to pay anything now at all.

@Doonesbury in case I’m missing something (I don’t think I am).

Thanks for the tag, but I'm not an expert in this...

@PQ perhaps?

You need to speak to someone from your university student records team to find out what they would send to SLC about the suspended year.

It’s possible that they have no intention of notifying SLC of the change and that the suspension is something for their internal records only. If that’s the case then you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending