The Student Room Group

Only two Universities I can go to..

So there's only really two options that I can go for in terms of studying an Undergraduate degree in Biomedical Sciences and that is Birmingham City and Keele. Obviously, having two choices would mean I have to work hard and stand out from the crowd so that I get a place at University.

I don't really have the greatest qualifications, other Biomedical Science degrees often require A-levels or Level 3 BTEC in Applied Sciences in conjunction with one or two A-levels which is very frustrating!!

Anyone in a similar situation or can offer any advice?

Many thanks!!
Original post by xemii
So there's only really two options that I can go for in terms of studying an Undergraduate degree in Biomedical Sciences and that is Birmingham City and Keele. Obviously, having two choices would mean I have to work hard and stand out from the crowd so that I get a place at University.

I don't really have the greatest qualifications, other Biomedical Science degrees often require A-levels or Level 3 BTEC in Applied Sciences in conjunction with one or two A-levels which is very frustrating!!

Many thanks!!

You have a third option if you consider the Open University. There's always another option available so don't worry too much!
Original post by xemii

Many thanks!!

Do you not have A-Levels? Or are they just not very good grades?
Original post by xemii

Many thanks!!

You haven't really explained why these are the only two possibilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by cc85734
Do you not have A-Levels? Or are they just not very good grades?

When I originally left school in 2015 I started A-levels but fell ill half way through them and decided I didn't want to re-start again so instead I did a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health Science and Social Care.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
You haven't really explained why these are the only two possibilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most Biomed Sci degrees ask for a Level 3 Diploma in Applied Sciences and A-levels combined rather than the qualification I have which is a Level 3 Diploma in Health Science and Social Care with no A-levels. Or the uni's ask for strictly A-levels. I have to be realistic with the grades I have
Original post by xemii
Most Biomed Sci degrees ask for a Level 3 Diploma in Applied Sciences and A-levels combined rather than the qualification I have which is a Level 3 Diploma in Health Science and Social Care with no A-levels. Or the uni's ask for strictly A-levels. I have to be realistic with the grades I have

Could you not try and get the a-levels you need? You will do better on the course (you will be better prepared and know more about the course) and will be able to go to the uni you want to - not the uni your grades allow you to go to.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
A lot of units won't list what specific BTEC subject you need, a lot of the time they put BTEC with a certain grade in a relevant subject

Look out for these then with a good PS I'm sure your Health and Social care BTEC would be accepted a lot more places, I read online that someone got into Oxford to study Experimental Psychology with a Health and Social care BTEC a few years ago, so I'm sure its possible for you to get into Biomed at a lot more than just 2 unis

For example:

Surrey (6th in the UK for Biological sciences) ask for Applied Science but say to contact them if you're taking a different BTEC.

Durham (5th for Bio Sciences) do a 4 year Biological Science degree with foundation year you could apply for

Bath (14th for Bio Sciences) ask for Applied Science but say you can contact them to discuss if your BTEC units would be suitable

Royal Holloway require A level Chemistry by default but then say DDD in either Applied Science or Health and Social care - plus grade C in Chemistry. Which is promising for other unis who don't have the Chem requirement
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by yt7777
A lot of units won't list what specific BTEC subject you need, a lot of the time they put BTEC with a certain grade in a relevant subject

Look out for these then with a good PS I'm sure your Health and Social care BTEC would be accepted a lot more places, I read online that someone got into Oxford to study Experimental Psychology with a Health and Social care BTEC a few years ago, so I'm sure its possible for you to get into Biomed at a lot more than just 2 unis

For example:

Surrey (6th in the UK for Biological sciences) ask for Applied Science but say to contact them if you're taking a different BTEC.

Durham (5th for Bio Sciences) do a 4 year Biological Science degree with foundation year you could apply for

Bath (14th for Bio Sciences) ask for Applied Science but say you can contact them to discuss if your BTEC units would be suitable

Royal Holloway require A level Chemistry by default but then say DDD in either Applied Science or Health and Social care - plus grade C in Chemistry. Which is promising for other unis who don't have the Chem requirement

Oh awesome, thank you for this, I feel slightly less worried!
Have you emailed every uni? Many unis dont advertise which courses they accept apart from the mainstream qualifications and by phone they often dont know.
I'm from access to health science (not access to science) and found ALOT more unis will accept an application if you email details of your course.

Middlesex and herts are big on non standard and bizzare module students if I remeber correctly.
Original post by xemii

Many thanks!!

Morning,

At Middlesex we usually ask for:

112 UCAS points
We require A level, or equivalent level qualification in depth and size, in a science and mathematics subject.

We have great labs and you will gain all the skills that you need to get a job as soon as you graduate :smile:
You can have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JIPkLomQuQ

We are doing another Open day in November :smile: You could come and have a look: www.mdx.ac.uk/opendays :smile:

Do you have any question? :smile:
I am happy to help!

Have a lovely day
Ludovica
Original post by xemii

Many thanks!!

Hi there,

As @Confusedunicorn said, we also offer Biomedical Science and require 104 UCAS points. For BTECs you will need to have studied the extended diploma in Applied Science and achieved a DMM. All the details are here: http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/biomedical-science

Take a look at our video to find out more about the course:

[video="youtube;DTcc1gJHVGo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTcc1gJHVGo[/video]

We've got amazing facilities for you to use in our new £50m science building. You can take a wander round it here!

Our next open day is this Sunday and we'll be live streaming it on our Facebook page.

If you want to know more, just ask!

Thanks,
Heather

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending