The Student Room Group

Personal Statement 4 lines over???

Hi,

Internal deadline for UCAS is this friday and my personal statement, although perfectly under 4000 characters and 47 lines on MS Word, is 51 lines on that malfunctioning UCAS text box.

I really can't trim it. For the past month I have been carefully picking my words and engineering my sentences so I could have the perfect PS and can't change anything.

Between each paragraph I have left a line, much like I have on this post, if I were to remove these lines, it'd be fine. My only concern is anyone reading it will find it of poor standard. I have thought of placing a '#' at the end of each paragraph but still no line spacing, what do you recommend?

URGENT
It would be better to leave the paragraphs for readability. You are clearly now to close to it. Give it to someone else to edit. They will probably find things that you can't see.
Reply 2
Original post by Crumpet1
It would be better to leave the paragraphs for readability. You are clearly now to close to it. Give it to someone else to edit. They will probably find things that you can't see.

I thought so too :frown: why can't we just submit a MS Word file given it meets the writing parameters!!
Original post by Tom Ferreira
I thought so too :frown: why can't we just submit a MS Word file given it meets the writing parameters!!

Probably something to do with making sure that everyone uses the same font and font size, so that everybody is precisely equal. Otherwise everyone would use font size 1 I suppose ...
Get rid of the lines between the paragraphs. Having had three children go through this and numerous conversations with teaching staff dealing with UCAS it doesn't matter if it is essentially one paragraph. It is the content that is important.
Original post by Tom Ferreira
Hi,

Internal deadline for UCAS is this friday and my personal statement, although perfectly under 4000 characters and 47 lines on MS Word, is 51 lines on that malfunctioning UCAS text box.

I really can't trim it. For the past month I have been carefully picking my words and engineering my sentences so I could have the perfect PS and can't change anything.

Between each paragraph I have left a line, much like I have on this post, if I were to remove these lines, it'd be fine. My only concern is anyone reading it will find it of poor standard. I have thought of placing a '#' at the end of each paragraph but still no line spacing, what do you recommend?

URGENT

I had a similar problem about being over on the line limit - spoke to head of sixth form and a bunch of teachers and all have said that the best thing is to remove lines between paragraphs.
Start each paragraph on a new line and you should be fine (as I'm doing now) - the last thing you want is to miss something important because of a paragraph break.
Original post by rhiannon277
Get rid of the lines between the paragraphs. Having had three children go through this and numerous conversations with teaching staff dealing with UCAS it doesn't matter if it is essentially one paragraph. It is the content that is important.

This is exactly the advice not to follow, OP. Admissions tutors like to have documents they can read more comfortably.

You just need to review your content and prioritise the messages, cutting out adjectives, hollow claims, hobbies and prefectships, DofEs and similar nonsense. A few lines is not much to remove.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending