The Student Room Group

Do you play a sport for a team / club?

Anyone?

I play wheelchair basketball for Lothian Phoenix.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bloodredbeat
Anyone?

I play wheelchair basketball for Lothian Phoenix.

Wow, are you physically disabled or not?

I don’t, I just like sports.
Original post by jabbathemuttdog
Wow, are you physically disabled or not?

I don’t, I just like sports.

I've had two failed knee replacements on the left, leaving me with very limited mobility in that area which obviously causes problems walking, etc. I'm also unable to fully straighten my left elbow.

Is there any reason why you don't play sports?
I've had two failed knee replacements on the left, leaving me with very limited mobility in that area which obviously causes problems walking, etc. I'm also unable to fully straighten my left elbow.

Is there any reason why you don't play sports?

Oh dear.

No available time and I have Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia so yeahhhh..that combo doesn’t go well with sports
Original post by jabbathemuttdog
Oh dear.

No available time and I have Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia so yeahhhh..that combo doesn’t go well with sports

I have RA (amongst other things).

Well if you find yourself with some time, you should give it a go; not all sports mean excerting yourself and it might be good for you both physically and mentally (I hope that doesn't sound any other way than how I mean it, which is in a nice way).
I go to sports camp in the summer and I play intense sport including Athletics, Tennis and Netball. They also offer Football and Hockey, but I usually dont pick them as I dont have much experience in those sports.
During the year however, I'm as sporty as a potato lool. I'm too busy with A levels, I spend every waking second studying or complaining haha but during the summer I get some therapy in the form of sports.
Original post by pfdavina
I go to sports camp in the summer and I play intense sport including Athletics, Tennis and Netball. They also offer Football and Hockey, but I usually dont pick them as I dont have much experience in those sports.
During the year however, I'm as sporty as a potato lool. I'm too busy with A levels, I spend every waking second studying or complaining haha but during the summer I get some therapy in the form of sports.

It's awesome that you get that release during the summer, though! It sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm hoping after my next surgery (above knee amputation) that I can get involved in more sports. I used to be into everything when I was younger and not a gammy so'n'so, hahaha. I'd like to try competitive swimming and to get back into athletics mostly, but I'd honestly but up for anything.
It's awesome that you get that release during the summer, though! It sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm hoping after my next surgery (above knee amputation) that I can get involved in more sports. I used to be into everything when I was younger and not a gammy so'n'so, hahaha. I'd like to try competitive swimming and to get back into athletics mostly, but I'd honestly but up for anything.

That sounds awesome, I'm terrible at swimming lool. When is your surgery?
Not any more. I could not commit to every Sunday during the cricket season.
That sounds awesome, I'm terrible at swimming lool. When is your surgery?

Yeah I'm not very good... probably wouldn't get any better after the surgery either, hahaha. I don't know for sure yet but we're expecting it to be early next year.
Original post by barnetlad
Not any more. I could not commit to every Sunday during the cricket season.

Och, that's a shame. Is there anything else you fancy getting involved in and could commit to?
Used to play football a lot. Was actually quite good at it, although that was around 6 years ago.
I used to play badminton at a competitive level up to year 10 but I don't really play it that often anymore. I also enjoy running and cycling; I've participated in two 5k runs which were fun.
Yeah I'm not very good... probably wouldn't get any better after the surgery either, hahaha. I don't know for sure yet but we're expecting it to be early next year.

Haha I'm sure you are just being modest.
And hope it all goes well!
Haha I'm sure you are just being modest.
And hope it all goes well!

I'm honestly being painfully honest! Hahahaha.

And thank you.
Original post by JT114455
Used to play football a lot. Was actually quite good at it, although that was around 6 years ago.

Why did you stop?
Original post by tarataika
I used to play badminton at a competitive level up to year 10 but I don't really play it that often anymore. I also enjoy running and cycling; I've participated in two 5k runs which were fun.

Why don't you anymore? I used to play badminton in high school - not for a team or anything - but it was brilliant.

Awesome! Well done. I hope to be able to get running again - I miss it.
Why don't you anymore? I used to play badminton in high school - not for a team or anything - but it was brilliant.

Awesome! Well done. I hope to be able to get running again - I miss it.

I moved houses and my old club is too far away (in a different part of my county) but I'm going to try getting back to badminton at a different club soon because I love it. :charm:
I used to play ice hockey but would miss a lot of training sessions because of my mental health so was never great at it. Moved to the south and there isn't a rink for hundreds of miles. :frown:

My wife did her PhD at a university with a good wheelchair basketball program, I enjoyed watching.
I do swimming lots (or will be soon.... haven't properly in years).

Tennis is something else I enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending